No announcement yet.

Installing Tankless Hot Water Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I’m really excited. We’re getting ready to head out on an extended trip next week to Utah, Yellowstone, and Glacier, with a good mix of rv parks and boondocking so it’ll be a great test.

Unfortunately we brought it directly home from Truma, so other than running the sinks to verify it works I don’t have much to report yet.

I’m thinking I might tweak the wiring a little. It’s a propane unit with 12v for the control board and pumps. We talked about it and I had them get the 12v from the existing gas water heater power switch, but it does not need to be switched since the Truma selector switch has an off position. One of my wife’s idiosyncrasies is switches that don’t do anything, so I’m thinking as long as I need to remove the old electric water heater switch, I’ll remove the gas one too and wire it directly to the new 12v fuse panel I put in the front bay. The installers agreed this should be fine. Then I need to figure out how to rework my control center, I don’t use the factory tank sensors anymore, and now I’ll have two blanks in it so I’m toying with pulling the factory switches out Andy making a new board to mount them to.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Well today marks day five since we’re headed back on the road. All have been boondocking so far. The Truma has been flawless (unless you’re @howson’s wife then it’s been utter garbage lol). No excessive water usage to get the dishes done and sons bath and our showers can be whatever we want them to be. I’d even say we’re using less water than in previous trips, but that’s probably unrelated. Definitely a huge improvement so far.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Glad to hear the Truma is working well. Sounds like you are headed to my part of the country where it could well be quite cool still in the mornings though it is supposed to be pretty nice through the end of the week. I am interested in the change to tankless but worry about freezing when not in use. I am sure we will all be interested to hear how it performs in cold weather. From other threads seems as though the Furrion units are cold sensitive. Have a great trip!

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
          ncitro Glad to hear the Truma is working well. Sounds like you are headed to my part of the country where it could well be quite cool still in the mornings though it is supposed to be pretty nice through the end of the week. I am interested in the change to tankless but worry about freezing when not in use. I am sure we will all be interested to hear how it performs in cold weather. From other threads seems as though the Furrion units are cold sensitive. Have a great trip!

Dave
          When it’s turned on, freezing isn’t supposed to be an issue. On top of that there’sa freeze proof mode you can turn on if you don’t want to run it and it’s below freezing. I think when it’s set here it only heats the storage tank to 40 or 50 degrees instead of 120. I’ll keep you posted.

Neil Citro

Comment

The small tank may be the hot ticket on the Truma for cold weather.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              The small tank may be the hot ticket on the Truma for cold weather.

Jim
              Yeah I think that’s exactly it. Keeps the whole heater warm.

Neil Citro

Comment

flyfshrockies wow just got caught up on some threads and see the issue with the Furrion and colder temps. That would be a no go for me for sure. We’re at Rocky Mountain park this week and it’s going to get down to the twenties let alone 39. Based on what I read in the book I expect no issues, but I’ll keep this thread updated.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro -- based on what I've been reading about the Furrion your experience with the Truma will be most telling. Appreciate all the time you're taking sharing your experience. (Still not letting the wife read this thread!)

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    ncitro -- based on what I've been reading about the Furrion your experience with the Truma will be most telling. Appreciate all the time you're taking sharing your experience. (Still not letting the wife read this thread!)

Howard
                    Yes I agree. For all those interested attached is the page from my manual regarding cold weather operation. Note they don’t recommend the use of propane while driving so that’s why they offer the 12v kit for while driving. I’m actually not sure I have that, I’m assuming I don’t.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yes I agree. For all those interested attached is the page from my manual regarding cold weather operation. Note they don’t recommend the use of propane while driving so that’s why they offer the 12v kit for while driving. I’m actually not sure I have that, I’m assuming I don’t.
                      I'm pretty sure your setup could handle the 12v load while driving. Another toy to buy!

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm pretty sure your setup could handle the 12v load while driving. Another toy to buy!

Lol fair enough.

Neil Citro

Comment

Here is the winterization kit. Looks like it replaces the filter which would be a quick install once power is routed to the HWH. Looks like winter operation while on propane is outstanding. It seems that if freezing conditions are an issue while traveling, the entire rig would be prepped anyway.

https://shop.truma.net/products/aqua...antifreeze-kit

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            Here is the winterization kit. Looks like it replaces the filter which would be a quick install once power is routed to the HWH. Looks like winter operation while on propane is outstanding. It seems that if freezing conditions are an issue while traveling, the entire rig would be prepped anyway.

https://shop.truma.net/products/aqua...antifreeze-kit

Jim
                            Yeah that’s my thinking too. Good to know that’s an option though.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Guest howson Neil, glad the Truma is working well, and that is heartening for us that might like a tankless system. You are going to get the real test when you get to Yellowstone it is at 7,000 feet with lots of snow still around. Even in summer we have seen morning temps in the 20's there and the r.v. camp in West Yellowstone tells everyone to unhook their water lines. Might be a good idea to have some water onboard for mornings and evenings. Glacier should be better as the camps are much lower elevations and generally warmer, it does take them until late June, early July, to get Going to the Sun road open though. A really nice spot in the Glacier area to camp is the west shore of Hungry Horse Reservoir and is not far from the park. The temps can vary wildly this time of year morning to afternoon and place to place and the "Breeze", as they call it here, is forecast to be 10 to 30 for the next few days. It was supposed to be 38 this morning but was actually 25 here in the Bitterroot. That 12 volt winterization kit is interesting as an option for freeze protection while underweigh. Beautiful this time of year. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Dave
                              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                                ncitro Guest howson Neil, glad the Truma is working well, and that is heartening for us that might like a tankless system. You are going to get the real test when you get to Yellowstone it is at 7,000 feet with lots of snow still around. Even in summer we have seen morning temps in the 20's there and the r.v. camp in West Yellowstone tells everyone to unhook their water lines. Might be a good idea to have some water onboard for mornings and evenings. Glacier should be better as the camps are much lower elevations and generally warmer, it does take them until late June, early July, to get Going to the Sun road open though. A really nice spot in the Glacier area to camp is the west shore of Hungry Horse Reservoir and is not far from the park. The temps can vary wildly this time of year morning to afternoon and place to place and the "Breeze", as they call it here, is forecast to be 10 to 30 for the next few days. It was supposed to be 38 this morning but was actually 25 here in the Bitterroot. That 12 volt winterization kit is interesting as an option for freeze protection while underweigh. Beautiful this time of year. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Dave
                                Thanks I’ll pass the advice onto my travel coordinator in chief lol. We’re at RMNP probably until Thursday to wait for this storm to pass before we cross. Then we’ll be in Utah until the end of May, and then in June we’re planning to do Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier. Hopefully warming up a bit up there by then, but yeah I don’t think the sun road will be open yet. Going to play it by ear.

Did great on the cold last night. Got down to the upper 20s last night and had no issues. Ran it on eco all night.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X