Winterization Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterization Time

Hey All! Emily here.... wanted to get you all some links as we know some people are needing to winterize their units. It is a sad day for some..... BUT, we want to see you prepared! Check them out. A lot of good knowledge!

Standard Winterization

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...all-one-system

Winterization with the Nautilus System

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...autilus-system

The videos in the links are both for the Nautilus system..... are they supposed to be? And after watching the Nautilus video, it doesn't get much easier than that, does it?
    Bob P.
    2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
    2020 337RLS
    VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Bob P I clicked on the first link and it was the standard winterization (not Nautilus Panel)

Did you see that difference? Just want to make sure

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
        Hey All! Emily here.... wanted to get you all some links as we know some people are needing to winterize their units. It is a sad day for some..... BUT, we want to see you prepared! Check them out. A lot of good knowledge!

Standard Winterization

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...all-one-system

Winterization with the Nautilus System

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...autilus-system
        The Nautilus video (I didn't view the other one) didn't mention what to do if there is a washer installed (like I have in my 315RLTS). Should I run the antifreeze through the washer, too?

UPDATE: Emily, please disregard. I forgot I had a Splendide document for winterizing the washer. The document is here: http://www.splendide.com/ARWXF129W_Winterize-1.pdf
        Last edited by howson; 10-11-2019, 07:03 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

why does the screen need to be removed at the city water inlet? Is there any other time it needs to be removed?

thanks,
          Dave
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
            why does the screen need to be removed at the city water inlet? Is there any other time it needs to be removed?

thanks,
            Dave
            Dave,
            Honestly, I'm not sure why the video shows to remove the screen. I've previously seen recommendations to REVERSE the screen.

Why?

Because inside the city water connection there's a one-way check valve. The city water pressure overcomes that valve's resistance during normal use allowing water to flow in the camper. When using the WINTERIZATION setting, the pump must overcome that valve's resistance to get anti-freeze into the lines. By reversing the screen it (manually) keeps that check valve in the open position making it easier for the pump to pull antifreeze.

The picture below is from the Nautilus Repair Manual and shows the tip of the valve without a screen installed. (I added the ugly red arrow!)

-Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.JPG
Views:	1565
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	5227
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ok, thank you for the explanation. I haven't had a problem drawing in water or antifreeze, and never touched the screen. If I have a problem down the road, I know something to do about it.

thanks, Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
                Ok, thank you for the explanation. I haven't had a problem drawing in water or antifreeze, and never touched the screen. If I have a problem down the road, I know something to do about it.

thanks, Dave
                I guess "down the road" arrived today. I winterized the camper today and I couldn't get suction from the antifreeze container. Good thing I learned about turning the screen around. I flipped it and was quickly able to complete my winterization. Thank you for explaining how this works.
                Dave
                2016 Reflection 27RL
                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

http://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf
                  Cut and Paste the above in your browser. Instruction on the Nautilus P1. It has the winterizing process, also saying to turn the handles to a 45 degrees also. (White, Blue, Green and Red). I do not turn the Red, as I do not want antifreeze in the water heater.

I also, do not pull my screen, or turn around the valve in the water connection. I just fill my 2ft hose with the anti freeze, stick it in the jug, turn on the pump and it pull the stuff without any issues.
                  Steve
                  2018 Reflection 303
                  2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                  Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Just a note of caution. On my unit between the red valve (bypass) is a long run to the water heater(located on the opposite side of the trailer). It has a low point (on my round-to-it list to fix). I blow this out with air first, as well as the line to fill the tank and everything else. I then use the antifreeze, You would be surprised that there is still a lot of water in the system after blowing out with air, when the antifreeze flows through the faucets it still runs clear for a few seconds before turning pink.

Hope this helps
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In watching the All-In-one Video one big question comes to mind. What can I do for the black water flush if I do not have an Airpump.

Thanks

Comment

• Superduty
                        Superduty commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you have an air compressor, blow it out with air. That is what I do, with the regulator set at 25 pounds.
                        In fact, I blow the air through the water lines also before I pull in the antifreeze.
                        Again, I use no more than 25 pounds of air, with at least 1 faucet open before introducing air.

Originally posted by shoebiedoo View Post
                      In watching the All-In-one Video one big question comes to mind. What can I do for the black water flush if I do not have an Airpump.

Thanks
                      The black tank flush has a valve that is up high, usually behind the shower faucet controls , that allows air into the line when there is no water pressure. This is suppose to allow all of the water to drain when done flushing. Water should drain to the black tank as well as back out to the place that you hook up your hose. I would think that there should be no need to blow this line out or even add anti freeze to it , but many have done this , I just blow mine out.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by shoebiedoo View Post

Thanks
                        YEah, I meant to say, I don't have an Air Compressor.

Comment

• Superduty
                          Superduty commented
                          Editing a comment
                          shoebledoo,
                          You should be alright without the air. As said above, they line should drain both ways (to the tank, and out the connection.
                          I blow air, since I am blowing through the water lines, it right there, so why not.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                        You would be surprised that there is still a lot of water in the system after blowing out with air, when the antifreeze flows through the faucets it still runs clear for a few seconds before turning pink.
                        Just wandering back through this thread and the quote above from Yoda is exactly right. I blew out my water system before dismantling it for a complete rebuilt (a couple of years ago) and was amazed at how much water was still in there. Particularly in the lines to and from the pump which don't get blown out using the "air only" method.

If you read the pump manufacturer's winterizing procedure, they want you to remove the water lines from the pump. Easy enough to do once you access the pump since these connections release with pull tabs . . . but do the "air only" guys do this? Using antifreeze drawn in with the pump means "no disassembly required".

There is very little mixing of antifreeze into the water, even if you don't use the "air first" method. The flow from the faucets quickly turns from clear to dark pink.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Just wandering back through this thread and the quote above from Yoda is exactly right. I blew out my water system before dismantling it for a complete rebuilt (a couple of years ago) and was amazed at how much water was still in there. Particularly in the lines to and from the pump which don't get blown out using the "air only" method.

If you read the pump manufacturer's winterizing procedure, they want you to remove the water lines from the pump. Easy enough to do once you access the pump since these connections release with pull tabs . . . but do the "air only" guys do this? Using antifreeze drawn in with the pump means "no disassembly required".

There is very little mixing of antifreeze into the water, even if you don't use the "air first" method. The flow from the faucets quickly turns from clear to dark pink.

Rob
                          On thing I did do when blowing things out is first use the city water settings with water heater bypass active, then crack the power fill valve for a moment (listened for air in the tank) and the hot water bypass valve for a moment (listened for air in the hot water heater - this took a moment as there was a lot of bubbling and spiting to clear that line). I drained the water heater first. I did not blow air through the pump due to possible damage. By cracking the valve I mean partially open when you have air flow. I used 35-40 psi on my air compressor and have a fitting that connects to the water port. This air fitting also has a valve on it so I can easily control the flow of air.

Now to get the water pump to prime I first used a funnel and filled the suction line, held it high and cycled the pump to draw antifreeze in. I did this several times and once the pump primed I refilled the tube again and quickly put it in the bottle and turned the pump on. I kept the bottle above the pump. I used a clear tube so I could see the flow and moved it to the new bottle just before it got empty - this kept the pump primed.

Hope this helps
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                          X