Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Siphon Action Draining Water Tank - Problem Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siphon Action Draining Water Tank - Problem Solved!

Back in February, we debated the latest ideas on how to stop the siphon action that can drain a substantial amount of water from a full water tank. About post #62 (of 96!) I suggested that a second parallel overflow pipe would break the siphon vacuum in the first and stop the draining. There were several ideas about taking this second vent line higher and/or to remote locations . . . but, this is not necessary. The entire discussion is here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...esh-water-tank for anyone who wants to read through it.

At a recent meeting between the moderators of this forum and Grand Design, I proposed this idea as first described back in February and as detailed in the attached pdf. Grand Design proceeded to investigate this concept and have advised that their testing has proven that this idea works to stop the siphon action and they will begin installing the double overflow pipe across all production lines.

Updating an existing system to this design should be relatively easy and inexpensive. All that is required is a Pex tee, a couple of short lengths of Pex pipe and a few Pex clamps.

This fix will not stop "slosh pumping" while towing, but if this starts a siphon action, the double overflow will stop this with minimal loss of water. This fix will not require a shut off valve that needs to be remembered when filling or using water from the tank.

Rob

Breaking Water Tank Overflow Siphon.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 06-29-2021, 03:35 PM. Reason: Added a second copy of the same file since some are having trouble opening the first.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Back in February, we debated the latest ideas on how to stop the siphon action that can drain a substantial amount of water from a full water tank. ...

At a recent meeting between the moderators of this forum and Grand Design, I proposed this idea as first described back in February and as detailed in the attached pdf. Grand Design proceeded to investigate this concept and have advised that their testing has proven that this idea works to stop the siphon action and they will begin installing the double overflow pipe across all production lines.

​​​​​​....

Updating an existing system to this design should be relatively easy and inexpensive. All that is required is a Pex tee, a couple of short lengths of Pex pipe and a few Pex clamps.

Rob

[ATTACH]n52087[/ATTACH]
    Super. Congrats. Great innovation and design.
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Great job Rob. This vent is henceforth called the "Rob Vent".

As soon as my hand heals up, I'll implement the change and let you know the outcome. My rig has been especially prone to this phenomenon.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Awesome, Rob ! With the significant number of folks posting water loss as an aggravation (or worse) over the years, this is good news. Well done to you and the other Mods./other folks/GDRV team involved !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Rob, 3/4 inch Pex? I am 95% sure that my vent tube is 1/2.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
            On my 2017 Reflection, it's 3/4".

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

My 2021 Reflection has 3/4 inch. My previous Open Range had 1/2 inch.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                The last picture in the attachment to post #1 was sent to me by Grand Design. It is of the first Solitude built with the double overflow lines. They appear to be 3/4" if you compare to the 1/2" fill/supply line in the lower left of the picture. The overflow line on my Reflection is 3/4". Of course . . . some could be built with 1/2" overflow .

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, do you mind if I send the PDF to my brother who is a member of the Open Range forum? They have the same problem.
                  Jim (& Sharon)
                  2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                  2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                  The toys:
                  2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                  2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                    Rob, do you mind if I send the PDF to my brother who is a member of the Open Range forum? They have the same problem.
                    Hi Jim,

Since I have posted this information on an open forum, it is (technically) available to anyone. If you want to provide this to another forum, I would prefer that you used the attached version titled "Solving Water Tank Vent Siphon". This still describes the idea and identifies more clearly where it came from but removes the direct confirmation that Grand Design is going to implement this.

Rob

Solving Water Tank Vent Siphon .pdf
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Jim,

Since I have posted this information on an open forum, it is (technically) available to anyone. If you want to provide this to another forum, I would prefer that you used the attached version titled "Solving Water Tank Vent Siphon". This still describes the idea and identifies more clearly where it came from but removes the direct confirmation that Grand Design is going to implement this.

Rob

[ATTACH]n52215[/ATTACH]
                      Ok thanks! He will (and they) will appreciate it!
                      Jim (& Sharon)
                      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                      The toys:
                      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Rob,

I'm glad you FINALLY got you constant drip problem resolved. There are other alternatives, but I'm glad you went to GD to get it fixed. )

So since I'm still under warranty for 30 more days...
                        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Hey Rob,

My brother posted the "solving" PDF and

First reply:
                          ingenious idea. Just goes to show GD RV'ers are just a little smarter!

Thanks again
                          Jim (& Sharon)
                          The toys:
                          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

This is my fix. I didn’t want to remove the underbelly covering. I installed a T with a shutoff that I leave open when I fill my tank. Once the tank is full I close the valve for travel. From the T I ran pex forward to the docking area. I haven’t had an opportunity to road test it but I know it will work based on information I discovered on another thread.
                            Rob, great to hear Grand Design has taken steps to resolve this issue. I was loosing 1/3 of my tank because of siphoning. Sorry about the rotated pictures.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	B6B7C339-5FE0-4690-9B4F-F0B17414029C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	56565
                            Attached Files
                            2023 Reflection 260RD
                            2023 Ford Super Duty F350 Lariat 6.7 CC 4X4

Comment

That's pretty cool that they went with your idea. Congratulations!

John
                              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                              2017 Jayco 26BH
                              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Working...
                              X