Broken Tank need valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Tank need valve

Yep, black tank is broken. Found out by liquid coming out from my underbelly when my black tank was full.
    I have ordered a new tank, but having a hard time finding the dump valve. Any ideas where to find the exact one?
    I think if I have the same value I can unbolt the existing one and use the new one for half of the value so I don't have to redo all the sewage pipe. The existing dump valve is glued in on both sides.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Josh & Cameo
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2012 GMC 2500 Duramax, Anderson 3200

That's a Bristol valve.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...king-bypassing

If you have to put in a new valve, there's a junction piece that @Cate&Rob recommends. You should consider using one of these junctions instead of gluing on the new valve so it's easier in the future to swap out the valve when (not if!) it's needed.

The internet stinks at work so the search function won't return the info to Rob's part--so hopefully he'll chime in here with the info. Might be a good time to swap over to the Valterra valve, too.

Also, don't miss Rob's posts about valve cable routing. While you're in there it's a good time to get it taken care of.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Cate&Rob -- tag didn't work in post 2. Please see above...
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

How do you know that the tank is broken? Do you see a crack in the tank?

If it only has leaked when full then the leak may be at one of the inlets , toilet , or the vent pipe. These are inserted into the tank with a rubber grommet.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          How do you know that the tank is broken? Do you see a crack in the tank?
          Hard to tell from the picture but the white is tp coming from the break. Its at the top of the tank at the bend. Almost the hole length of the tank. Not much holding up the tank right now.
          Attached Files
          Josh & Cameo
          2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by BarberArias View Post

Hard to tell from the picture but the white is tp coming from the break. Its at the top of the tank at the bend. Almost the hole length of the tank. Not much holding up the tank right now.
            Well that is not good to hear or see. You may want to alert GD customer service about this so they can document.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson thanks for the links and the pointers.
              Josh & Cameo
              2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

BarberArias

Hi Josh . . . well, that is unfortunate.

In 2019, the gate valve would have most likely been Valterra (it should say on the pull handle) and these are commonly available service parts (3”). The alignment of the two flanges (one on the tank and one on the pipe) have to be exact. You can use the flange on the pipe, but will have to fit the new flange to the tank and glue it into place after it is aligned with the flange on the pipe.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  That's a Bristol valve.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...king-bypassing

If you have to put in a new valve, there's a junction piece that @Cate&Rob recommends. You should consider using one of these junctions instead of gluing on the new valve so it's easier in the future to swap out the valve when (not if!) it's needed.

The internet stinks at work so the search function won't return the info to Rob's part--so hopefully he'll chime in here with the info. Might be a good time to swap over to the Valterra valve, too.

Also, don't miss Rob's posts about valve cable routing. While you're in there it's a good time to get it taken care of.
                  BarberArias
                  This I believe is the piece that howson was referencing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in...ing/1000075327

I had to replace a valve and repair a leak and I put mine next to the gray water valve that I replaced. I don't have a pic of the completed repair, but maybe this will help. I cut the connector between the valves at about what was about the middle point of the rubber sleeve when the sleeve is seated against the connection of the elbow. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1987 illustrate.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	52509 The Red line is about where I made the cut.
                  Attached Files
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

BarberArias howson ThePowells

Hi Josh,

Whoops . . . I missed Howard's earlier observation that you have a Bristol gate valve. I have never worked with a Bristol valve, but I understand that a Valterra will fit the same flanges, if you have trouble sourcing a Bristol replacement. BTW . . . replacing the gate valve is not absolutely necessary if it is working properly. Just the seals on each side could be replaced. With gate valves being "chronic" sources of problems, I would replace the valve and cable if I had everything apart anyway.

Jerry has identified the correct connection piece, but there will not be room for this on the tank side of the gate valve. You should still plan on obtaining a new gate valve flange for the tank side and it should be glued into place (although I have seen some installed with some sort of sealant and a hose clamp). I cut my drain manifold into three pieces (one for each gate valve) and rejoined these pieces with the connectors linked. This has worked well and allows me to remove just the section of drain associated with one tank if/when necessary.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      BarberArias howson ThePowells

...but I understand that a Valterra will fit the same flanges, if you have trouble sourcing a Bristol replacement.
                      Unfortunately not the case, Rob, as I reported in post 24 of the previously linked thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...1404#post21404

Comment

I ordered parts for both brands of valves, figured that when I have everything taken apart next weekend having to many parts to choose from is better than not enough. Wish me luck on this dirty job!
                        I'll post better pictures of the broken tank once it is out. I also have plans to better support the tank so maybe this won't happen again.
                        Josh & Cameo
                        2019 Reflection 31MB

Comment

BarberArias Just to be clear, as said, the rubber connector has to go on the pipe that connects the valves. This will allow each to be removed independently. There is zero room to put it between the valve and the tank.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Unfortunately not the case, Rob, as I reported in post 24 of the previously linked thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...1404#post21404

Just wondering howson , did you try interchanging a 3" dump valve from the two brands as well? Your post only mentioned the 1.5", but maybe you tried both with the same result.

If not, BarberArias can you perhaps try installing a 3" Valterra valve on the Bristol flange, and report back? I'm sure a few of us would be interested in that information, myself included. I hope that ask doesn't cause the job to be any more dirty for you​​​​​​​
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH
                            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I'm looking, but I remember reading something about one seat of seals could only be used on that one, but the other will work on both.I don't rermember which is which.
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                              X