Fresh Water Tank Access Valve Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water Tank Access Valve Leaking

I have a 2015 Reflection 337RLS. It has the old original Kant Leak plumbing setup.
    While filling the Fresh Water Tank to sanitize it, I noticed the Fresh Water Tank Access Valve (Open/Shut) was dripping under pressure.
    I think it is just a simple black plastic open/shut valve.

It currently has Rubber Hose that goes to a "T" and the other two on the "T" are PEX.
    The other side is Rubber Hose to an "Elbow" with PEX on the other side of the elbow. (Great job GDs)

Looking for suggested replacements,
    Anyone changed this before?
    It would be nice to find a more sturdy version than the old black plastic junk.

Pictures attached.

Thanks, Mike
    Mike and Pat Clawson
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    Village of Bloomfield, Wisconsin

Originally posted by Gr8daggett View Post
    I have a 2015 Reflection 337RLS. It has the old original Kant Leak plumbing setup.
    While filling the Fresh Water Tank to sanitize it, I noticed the Fresh Water Tank Access Valve (Open/Shut) was dripping under pressure.
    I think it is just a simple black plastic open/shut valve.

It currently has Rubber Hose that goes to a "T" and the other two on the "T" are PEX.
    The other side is Rubber Hose to an "Elbow" with PEX on the other side of the elbow. (Great job GDs)

Looking for suggested replacements,
    Anyone changed this before?
    It would be nice to find a more sturdy version than the old black plastic junk.

Pictures attached.

Thanks, Mike
    I think Cate&Rob is our resident Kantleak expert...he should be along shortly. In the meantime, do an Advanced Search using the keyword kantleak and member Cate& Rob. You'll find quite a few threads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	search Kantleak.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	52588
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Gr8daggett
      Hi Mike! (haven't heard from you in a while)

When I rebuilt my plumbing system, one of the problems that I solved was a leaking tank access valve . . . just like you are experiencing. I have posted the attached before, but will include it here so you don't have to go looking for it. Page 6 & 7 are about how this valve works and why it needed replacing with a standard brass valve. You can see the new valve from the back of the panel in the lower left of page 8. No longer "1/4 turn" but accomplishes the same task. You can see what this valve looks like in the page 19 picture of the front of my panel. (I painted the clear handle black). It still functions in the open/close direction shown on the original operation chart . . . it just turns further to accomplish the opening or closing.

This would be a good time to get rid of some more of that braided hose and replace it with Pex pipe.

Rob

Plumbing System Rebuild.pdf

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Rob & Howard. Yes, I have been laying low because of Covid and dealing with my bladder cancer.
        Looks like a simple fix, if I can get my big fingers in there. Found a valve at Home Depot I hope to pickup tomorrow. See if it works.
        Thanks again, Mike
        Mike and Pat Clawson
        2015 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Gr8daggett
          Hi Mike,

Sorry to learn about your health issues. Hopefully that is under control.

I've been thinking about how I replaced that fresh tank access valve and found some more pictures that might help you. The most difficult part of the project was enlarging the hole for the new valve in the location where the smaller hole for the old valve already existed. I did this with a hole saw guided by a piece of plywood. The normal center drill guide won't work because of the hole already there. The valve is actually held in place by the Pex plumbing connections to it behind the panel, but is positioned by a snug fit to the hole in the panel.

Cut the larger hole in a scrap piece of plywood first and then position this carefully with clamps so that it can guide the hole saw to cut the new hole concentric with the old one. I did the final fitting with a small drum sander.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	52639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	52640Click image for larger version

Name:	delta-power-sander-accessories-17-940-64_1000.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	52641
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks so much for the extra info Rob. This will be very valuable.

Mike
            Mike and Pat Clawson
            2015 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Rob, I was finally feeling well enough today to replace that valve with a brass one. Your tip about enlarging the hole with a scrap piece of wood worked perfectly and saved me a ton of time and a big mess I am sure. Thanks again so much.
              Mike and Pat Clawson
              2015 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

The other trick for drilling a hole when there is and existing one is to find a hole saw that fits the existing hole and thread it onto the arbor inside the hole you need to cut.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  The other trick for drilling a hole when there is and existing one is to find a hole saw that fits the existing hole and thread it onto the arbor inside the hole you need to cut.
                  Hi Joseph,

I never thought of that . . . good idea!

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X