X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbelly Leak(?)

Hello
    We spent 5 nights at Campground (A).
    When we left campground (A), We drained Gray tank #1,and there was no noticeable leaking from our RV.
    By the time we pulled into campground (B) (200 miles), we had (2) leaks happening from the underbelly.
    (I believe it is called the corrugated material (black / pastic like)

Leak #1 is coming from the foam around the Gray Tank 1 pull (Kitchen/Front)
    Leak #2 is n the center of the RV, above the axels, dripping from the underbelly. (my thought is this is were there maybe a pool of water).

I took down the underbelly just enough to see if I could see anything around Leak #1.
    It appeared relatively dry the few inches I could see.
    I have not put water in the Gray Tank #1.

My next step is to call the repair guy - but figured I'd solicit possible reason why feedback from the forum first.

Thanks-

Grand Design-Imagine
    2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
    My next step is to call the repair guy - but figured I'd solicit possible reason why feedback from the forum first.
    Troubleshooting water leaks by where the liquid is exiting the RV is dicey--as you state, a "pool of water" can collect on top of the coroplast from any number of sources. I've read a few reports recently of hot water tank connection leaks, etc.

The only helpful(?) info I have is that the fresh water tank is above the axles, underneath the floor (duh!) between the table and stove.

Please follow up with what's found.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for that.
      I haven't used the Fresh Water Tank, since I bought it a year ago.

I tried filling the Gray Tank #1, let it sit and then pulled the release today.
      So far, no water has come out. I can't any other drips and those other drips spots had dried up.

So far, nothing 'found' - and it has stopped

It had rained on our 200 mile travel.
      My next 'look' will be to see if water could have got in, under the underbelly, from the rain. It didn't POUR rain, but did rain.
      My thought there is that it could have pooled from that.

I'll update when/if I find anything else out.
      Grand Design-Imagine

Comment

It had rained on our 200 mile travel.
        My next 'look' will be to see if water could have got in, under the underbelly, from the rain. It didn't POUR rain, but did rain.
        My thought there is that it could have pooled from that.
        This may most likely be it. A number of us have reported water dripping/trickling from various low point locations in the coroplast after towing on wet roads/rains.etc. The underbelly coroplast (and now a new material on newer builds apparently) is not completely sealed to the frame. In fact, when you consider the force and volume of water being kicked up by the tires just in the "wheel wells" area alone, there can be gallons of water in the underbelly. A second key area would be the water tossed up by the tow vehicle at the RV particularly the underside.

In fact when I first reported this years ago, we stopped at a rest area after driving in heavy rain on I80 in NE and saw water running out of the fresh water tank drain valve area thinking we had developed a leak. Why now....what the heck ! It did not appear to be the case and when we came back to the RV after the rest area visit, the water had stopped running. That was the aha moment after observing the small gaps between the coroplast and frame particularly in the wheel wells areas. We experienced this again a couple other times confirming our initial findings.

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

This may most likely be it. A number of us have reported water dripping/trickling from various low point locations in the coroplast after towing on wet roads/rains.etc. The underbelly coroplast (and now a new material on newer builds apparently) is not completely sealed to the frame. In fact, when you consider the force and volume of water being kicked up by the tires just in the "wheel wells" area alone, there can be gallons of water in the underbelly. A second key area would be the water tossed up by the tow vehicle at the RV particularly the underside.

In fact when I first reported this years ago, we stopped at a rest area after driving in heavy rain on I80 in NE and saw water running out of the fresh water tank drain valve area thinking we had developed a leak. Why now....what the heck ! It did not appear to be the case and when we came back to the RV after the rest area visit, the water had stopped running. That was the aha moment after observing the small gaps between the coroplast and frame particularly in the wheel wells areas. We experienced this again a couple other times confirming our initial findings.

Dan
          Did you ever solve this problem? What about adding more screws to hold the coroplast to the frame? Some of these screws on my trailer are 18 to 20" apart.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Did you ever solve this problem? What about adding more screws to hold the coroplast to the frame? Some of these screws on my trailer are 18 to 20" apart.
            No, never a real concern. Our generation Reflection has no insulation to get wet just a thin layer of foil insulation. We also have a slight sag in the frontal area of our coroplast where water can drain through a small "X" slit. In addition, when the Customer Service Center replace our walls, they sealed the coroplast area much better at the various joints between the frame, spring hangers, etc.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

I 'solved it' by classifying it as 'over reaction' on my part.
              We stayed 5 nights and ran water through all the tanks and lines, drained multiple times.
              I put back those screws and then drove 30 miles down the road.
              Not a new leak in sight.

(Is there a way I'm suppose to 'close' a 'case'?

Thanks!

Grand Design-Imagine

Comment

(Is there a way I'm suppose to 'close' a 'case'?
                You just did.

Seriously, posting what does (and doesn't) solve a problem is the key to this owners' forum. Information sharing is power!
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We our enjoying our new Imagine XLS 22RBE on its inaugural run in a full-hookup campsite. I have noticed leaking occurring at the location of the two drain hoses at the rear (step-side) of the unit — for hot and cold water. The leaking seems to be running down from a location on the hot water line above the coroplast (?). Any idea where this might be coming from and how to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    We our enjoying our new Imagine XLS 22RBE on its inaugural run in a full-hookup campsite. I have noticed leaking occurring at the location of the two drain hoses at the rear (step-side) of the unit — for hot and cold water. The leaking seems to be running down from a location on the hot water line above the coroplast (?). Any idea where this might be coming from and how to fix it?
                    This could be as simple as the tee fitting in the line above the low point drains. Unfortunately dropping the coroplast will yield the best results in finding the culprit.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Nick Welcome to the family and the forum!
                      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                      X