Draining water heater with pet****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining water heater with pet****

Living in Texas we get our first freeze in November but it can then warm up again to the 70's. If I winterize in November then it's a real pain to "un-winterize" so I can camp again before spring. Draining the water heater is one chore that I hate as there is no room to get a wrench or socket on the drain plug. This year I installed a pet**** on my 220rk. Because of the potential issue of electrolysis with dissimilar metals I went with a nylon bushing instead of brass. I used nylon because it's melting temperature is higher than PVC. I got the pet****s from Amazon and the nylon bushings from MSC Industrial supply.
    I have also read of others saying that the pet**** can stop up from sediment in the water. I plan on either using a coat hanger to open it up if that happens or once per year remove the bushing and drain it out the larger hole.

Now the frugal German in me wants to see if I can catch the RV antifreeze that I used to winterize and use it again the next time. Even if it has a little water in it, it should still work. I could test it with one of those testers
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer

2016 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

2017 F150
    2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Living in Texas we get our first freeze in November but it can then warm up again to the 70's. If I winterize in November then it's a real pain to "un-winterize" so I can camp again before spring. Draining the water heater is one chore that I hate as there is no room to get a wrench or socket on the drain plug. This year I installed a pet**** on my 220rk. Because of the potential issue of electrolysis with dissimilar metals I went with a nylon bushing instead of brass. I used nylon because it's melting temperature is higher than PVC. I got the pet****s from Amazon and the nylon bushings from MSC Industrial supply.
    I have also read of others saying that the pet**** can stop up from sediment in the water. I plan on either using a coat hanger to open it up if that happens or once per year remove the bushing and drain it out the larger hole.

Now the frugal German in me wants to see if I can catch the RV antifreeze that I used to winterize and use it again the next time. Even if it has a little water in it, it should still work. I could test it with one of those testers
    I did something very similar based on a solution written up by Cate&Rob . His post is now almost 4 years old. (!)

What I found, though, is a less-messy way to drain the hot water heater. I put 1/4 turn valves on the low point drains (similar to those shown below). Now, instead of opening the pet**** drain on the hot water heater, I open the low-point drains and the hot water heater's T&P valve--all the water in the heater drains out. If your trailer works like mine that could be an easy way to recapture your antifreeze (by putting a bucket under the low point drain).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Valves.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5462
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I did something very similar based on a solution written up by Cate&Rob . His post is now almost 4 years old. (!)

What I found, though, is a less-messy way to drain the hot water heater. I put 1/4 turn valves on the low point drains (similar to those shown below). Now, instead of opening the pet**** drain on the hot water heater, I open the low-point drains and the hot water heater's T&P valve--all the water in the heater drains out. If your trailer works like mine that could be an easy way to recapture your antifreeze (by putting a bucket under the low point drain).

Hey, I like that idea. Got specs on those shut off valves? Thanks

2017 F150
      2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by johndeerefarmer View Post

Hey, I like that idea. Got specs on those shut off valves? Thanks
        https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supp.../dp/B00MA9GCR4

Simple task--cut off the existing screw-in drain stop and, using a pex compression tool, install this valve. Be sure to think through how you want the valve handle(s) to face before tightening the compression fitting(s)

This is the kit I bought for the compression tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GNU9BH8..._t3_B018VNUCSC

(To give credit where credit is due--I learned all of this from Cate&Rob. He's the plumbing guru...)
        Last edited by howson; 10-18-2019, 02:12 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What about using Shark-Bite version of these valves? That would be an option for those that don't have the crimping tool.
          Bob P.
          2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
          2020 337RLS
          VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
            What about using Shark-Bite version of these valves? That would be an option for those that don't have the crimping tool.
            Sharkbite fittings would work on the Pex lines . . . but, the cost of a couple of shark bite fittings would be nearly half the cost of the crimping tool.
            (Owning an RV and not owning the tools to work with Pex is not the best plan .)

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Sharkbite fittings would work on the Pex lines . . . but, the cost of a couple of shark bite fittings would be nearly half the cost of the crimping tool.
              (Owning an RV and not owning the tools to work with Pex is not the best plan .)

Rob
              My Pex tool and fittings are with the 29rs in Colorado so I had to order another one for my 220rk here in Texas

2017 F150
              2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

The tool is cheaper on eBay.
                IWISS F1807 1/2"&3/4" Combo Copper Ring Crimping Tool Kit for Pex Pipe Connection with free Copper Rings&Cutter&GO-NO-GO Gauge. - suits Sharkbite, Watts, Apollo and All US F1807 Standards- Portable Case.

2017 F150
                2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

We have a hard freeze coming to north Texas so I went to winterize the rig. I opened the pet**** and hardly nothing came out. I could turn on the pump and force water out but that didn't help anything. I finally took the entire plug out.

I guess I will take the valves that I had bought for the Colorado 29rs and install them on the Texas 220rk. Thanks for the idea

2017 F150
                  2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Long overdue update. A lightbulb came on in my head and when I opened the pet**** to drain the water heater I also opened the TP valve. This gives air a chance to get in the tank. Drains good now. Steady but small stream of course

Now to winterize I open these two on the water heater and open the 1/4 turn valves on the low point drains. Then suck the antifreeze through the system. Usually take me right at 1.5 gallons.

2017 F150
                    2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Comment

Working...
                    X