water for coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water for coffee

Not really sure where to put this question. We usually take several gallons of water for making coffee as I have read not good to use water from holding tank because the water just sits in the tank. Some will use water if at full hookup with water connection. I do use my filter when filling my tank but for a 10 day trip the water will just sit. Just checking in to see what others do. We do take bottle water for drinking would be nice not to take 6 to 8 gallons of water just for coffee.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Carol and I have plastic jugs that we fill with water when we get to our destinations. Like you and many others, we do not drink the water from our fresh tank for various reasons. If we know we are going to an area with poor water quality/taste/etc. we will bring water from home or fill before leaving our current destination. We always have a case or so of bottled water as a backup as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Thats what we do take 2 cases of bottle water and fill several jugs of water from home for coffee.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

We also bring jugs of known quality water for coffee or drinking. We store these in the kitchen island since this is a central location over the trailer axles. BUT . . . I had to replace the the floor in this island with a more substantial piece of plywood with a couple of cross braces underneath, to carry the weight of the water. (ask me how I know this )

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          We also bring jugs of known quality water for coffee or drinking. We store these in the kitchen island since this is a central location over the trailer axles. BUT . . . I had to replace the the floor in this island with a more substantial piece of plywood with a couple of cross braces underneath, to carry the weight of the water. (ask me how I know this )

Rob
          Yes, Rob - kinda like placing too many wine bottles in the cabinets next to the couch in our 303s and other similar floor plans ! That's a good way to drop the "paneling" flooring due to the less than robust bracing and misguided little staples. As you and others, know, I (and a few others) had to fix and beef up both sides of our cabinets. However, Carol is still not allowed to put wine in there !

By the way guys, we carry water jugs, loose /bottles of water/soda cans, wine, essentially other heavy liquids in wine "bags" and placed in plastic tubs between the couch and rear of the center island on the floor when traveling if quite abit of these items. If less than needed for an extended stay, we place these item on the floor of the pantry. We just try to ensure that the pantry does not get loaded to heavily. Liquid weights can and up fast. We already know these floor plans can easily approach 1000 more lbs. on this side when loaded.

Dan
          Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-01-2021, 09:12 AM.
          Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
            Not really sure where to put this question. We usually take several gallons of water for making coffee as I have read not good to use water from holding tank because the water just sits in the tank. Some will use water if at full hookup with water connection. I do use my filter when filling my tank but for a 10 day trip the water will just sit. Just checking in to see what others do. We do take bottle water for drinking would be nice not to take 6 to 8 gallons of water just for coffee.
            We take two 40 count per case bottles of water from Walmart (or whatever your preference) to make our coffee and use for drinking water. Doesn’t take up enough room to be concerned with and last longer than you may think.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

We drink water out of the fresh tank. I sanitize it twice a year, and filter it going in. The refrigerator also has a filter in it so it gets filtered coming it as well. We burn through the fresh tank every three or four days so it’s not sitting in there very long.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Moving to a home with chlorinated city water which to us tastes like drinking gasoline after being on a well. For camping, we will be buying bottled water for drinking and cooking and will shower with the water available at camping sites. For the home...will install a huge carbon filter.
                But for potable water at campsites, do they really need to have the potable water in close proximity to the dumping stations? My wife who is an RN has really trained me on cross contamination. Potable water should not be anywhere near a dumping station IMO.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  Moving to a home with chlorinated city water which to us tastes like drinking gasoline after being on a well. For camping, we will be buying bottled water for drinking and cooking and will shower with the water available at camping sites. For the home...will install a huge carbon filter.
                  But for potable water at campsites, do they really need to have the potable water in close proximity to the dumping stations? My wife who is an RN has really trained me on cross contamination. Potable water should not be anywhere near a dumping station IMO.

Jim
                  Yes I agree with this 💯. I try to fill in the loops when I can, or at a full hookup site before pulling out.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Potable water should not be anywhere near a dumping station IMO.

Jim
                    I completely agree with this and always assume that the water hose at a dump station is contaminated. You have no idea what the last guy did with that hose. I have never touched one.

At the risk of wandering down the "two hoses vs one hose" discussion (where many run a separate flush hose to their water panel at a FHU campsite . . . tee connected to their potable water hose at the post?) . . . the flush connection at the water panel is a sanitary connection (protected by the vacuum break) as long as you have never connected a contaminated flush hose to it. At a dump station, I flush with onboard water using the adjacent shower hose connection. This even allows me to flush with warm water.

Sorry about the diversion from the original topic . (Someone should complain to a moderator )

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Moderator note: Please stay on topic..

We travel with a 5 gallon water cooler filled from home , well water that is hard as nails but run thru a softener. I also fill the tank 1/3 or 1/2 up to full depending on our needs. We use the water from our fresh tank for all things needed when on full hook ups. We do shower and other stuff with the shore water supply. Drinking campground water sometimes is not the best , never really , but I have often wondered by taking a shower with campground water how much of the water is absorbed into the body? We do sanitize the fresh tank and will drink out of it , it does not taste the same but it is ok. Carrying 5 gallons in a cooler is great , when the kids would go with us sometimes we would carry 10 gallons , depending on the stay length.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We are not full timers or most timers, we use our TT about every other week with a couple of multi-week trips during the year. What we do right now is we take 1-gallon jugs of spring water with us for coffee. Purchased from the store and be sure to get the ones with a screw cap and not a push on cap. Keeps it from spilling should an open jug fall over. We store the 1-gallon jugs behind the recliners, we usually have 6 when we hit the road and purchase more along the way if needed. We also use a Brita pitcher to filter water from the tap. We do have the standard inline filter on the hose for shore water into the rig.

What are we going to do in the next month or so . . . install a 3-stage under counter water filtration at the kitchen sink. After much research and consideration and contemplating and more research and more consideration we have determined this to be the best solution for how we RV. I obviously considered the 2 & 3 stage whole rig filter system. For how we RV this just wasn't necessary. And by using an under sink model it would filter any water we draw from the freshwater tank for consumption. I don't really care to filter the shower and toilet water that a whole rig filter would provide.

I've selected the Aquasana 3-stage under counter system that we can purchase at the orange or blue home improvement store, along with the replacement cartridges when needed. The runner-up was the GE Model #GXK285JBL 2-stage under sink system. It has a unique design in that it uses the existing faucet set and has a knob mounted through the counter that you turn to draw filtered water. Turn the GE knob off and it switches to unfiltered water through the faucet.

As someone mentioned in another thread, having the 'cartridge' filters and not the spin-on cartridges minimizes/eliminates water spillage when changing filters.

It's amazing we survived as kids drinking out of a hose

Get superior filtration with our best under sink water filter. This 3-stage filter is NSF-certified and reduces up to 99% of lead & 76 other contaminants.
                        Mike & Lisa
                        Central Florida
                        2021 Imagine 2970RL
                        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

We normally take 1 gallon bottles for coffee and drinking. But if we run out, I have no qualms about drinking out of the fresh tank.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We also take gallon jugs of water with us for coffee and tea. We do fill the dog's water bowls with campground water but pour it out of one of the gallon jugs we've used so they don't know they are drinking the cheap stuff.
                            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                            2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                            ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                            2017 Jayco 26BH
                            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                              I have no qualms about drinking out of the fresh tank.

Jim
                              Word on the street is that you have a specially engineered fresh "water" tank. A portion holds Fireball and a larger section (much larger) holds IPA. Heck, most any of us would drink out of that "water" tank !

Dan
                              Dan & Carol

Comment

Working...
                              X