Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to reseal bathroom sink and cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to reseal bathroom sink and cabinet.

I have a 2018 303rls and would like to reseal bathroom sink, counter and faucet. What GD used does not look like regular silicone caulking. Any ideas what factory uses? Can’t get answer from parts department. Would like to use same.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

I had to reseal parts of the bathroom sink on our Solitude when it was brand new! I used silicone - but I bought the kind that's supposed to be mold-resistant for 10 years (GE brand, I think). I used the same silicone around the shower rails in our Reflection and it was still in excellent shape when we sold the trailer.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-08-2021, 07:44 AM. Reason: Only one cup of coffee before typing...
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Beachcamper
      Hi Vivian,

As far as I know, Grand Design uses silicone based caulking everywhere (including sinks and counter edges). The big problem with repairing/replacing silicone is that nothing sticks to silicone . . . even new silicone won't stick to cured silicone. The biggest part of the job is removing absolutely all of the old silicone. Even an almost invisible film will prevent the new caulking from bonding. There are various silicone removers available, but WD-40 seems to work as well as any of them. Be cautious using any silicone remover on or near the wallpaper.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Beachcamper
        Hi Vivian,

As far as I know, Grand Design uses silicone based caulking everywhere (including sinks and counter edges). The big problem with repairing/replacing silicone is that nothing sticks to silicone . . . even new silicone won't stick to cured silicone. The biggest part of the job is removing absolutely all of the old silicone. Even an almost invisible film will prevent the new caulking from bonding. There are various silicone removers available, but WD-40 seems to work as well as any of them. Be cautious using any silicone remover on or near the wallpaper.

Rob
        Thanks, Rob - I forgot to mention that part.

(Another) Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I finally got a response from GD parts. I will be boondocking next two days but will get more info when we get to a place with decent cell service.

I am very pleased I used the recommended sealant Trempro 645 on resealing all exterior before our trip. Even on the ski that was separated from outside edge is sealing great. it formed a rubberized flexible bond. Plus it looks great almost like a professional applied it. Geocel was horrid glad I only did a small area with it. Been traveling since April on bad roads and at some places, torrential rain. It’s on the LaVanture catalog but hard to read on my iPhone.

“I show that the vendor in our system is LaVanture Products. I’ve included the information below just in case you’d like to purchase through us.

Silicone:
          • GDRV Part Number: 960179
          • Description: Sealant Semi Translucent Silicone
          • Price: $10.88/each – before tax + shipping”
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Cate&Rob and Second Chance - regards silicon sealants and the difficulty/impossibility of removing or repairing in the future - if silicon is so difficult to work with, should a different type of sealant (non-silicon) be used instead? I just experienced trying to remove old silicon from our 18-year-old 5th wheel and that was not fun. But based upon all the comments I see, I'm confused as to whether we need to use silicon on the trailers, and just recognize the future pain of removal or repair? Or do we use a non-silicon sealant?

realize you are both owners and not technicians but figured you might have opinions based upon past experience. We should be picking up our new GD 5th wheel next week and I trying to get a head start on the maintenace plan and appropriate products. We did pretty good with our prior 5th wheel, but I definitely learned about some things I wish I'd done differently from the beginning. Thanks!
            Mike and Rebecca
            2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
            2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Hi Mike & Rebecca:

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Silicone has a good reputation for (usually) sticking to adjacent surfaces while retaining flexibility & stretch. This makes it a good choice for an RV . . . until you have to replace it, as discussed earlier in this thread. I have used the "paintable" caulkings extensively on sticks-and-bricks projects and even on boats above the waterline, with good success. The problem is that your new GD 5th wheel will be sealed everywhere with silicone based sealers. Replacing silicone caulking with non-silicone still faces the problem of removing all traces of the original silicone. So far . . . I have stayed with silicone based caulking on the RV.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X