Fresh tank fell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh tank fell!

So we drove in on an admittedly bumpy road with one night shy of a full tank. Hours after parking the trailer shook like a major earthquake. Looking around in the wet dark I didn't see anything wrong, I half expected collapsed jacks or sink holes. 😯

in the morning I saw the coroplast by the steps was stretched and ripped with white poly speaking out. The tank had slipped off it's support ledges and folded along the camp side end. 🀬 Fortunately the street end and plumbing connections stayed in place. There are no cross straps on this tank and I consider that very poor design. I've read several other tank tales so it seems GD has long known about this issue. 😀
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tank fold-behind steps by spring hanger.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	57400Click image for larger version

Name:	top of tank.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	57397Click image for larger version

Name:	along support beam.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	57398
    I managed to jack the tank enough to drain most of it and push it back into place. Since we were boondocking and out of cell range we left for our next stop with FHU, and they had space early. 😁 There I hung some unistrut under the tank and zip tie sewed the coroplast together.

GD could only tell me where dealers were, and naturally nobody had time. It's been a week, now I'm wondering if my tank with strut is good enough to just run with it.
    Attached Files

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Dang Rick. I'm so surprised you didn't have metal supports under the tank. I'm attaching a photo of my 2017 Reflection 297RSTS travel trailer tank so you can see how it's mounted. There are three metal straps under the tank. I thought all tanks had these supports after about 2016.

Click image for larger version

Name:	130142520_137197347930321_2174560587821533801_n.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	57407
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If it's empty and you've secured it should hold. I drove our Jayco 50 miles on the freeway to get the grey water tank reattached when it dropped completely to the ground.
      John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
      ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
      2017 Jayco 26BH
      2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
        If it's empty and you've secured it should hold. I drove our Jayco 50 miles on the freeway to get the grey water tank reattached when it dropped completely to the ground.
        Empty it sat on its original rails just fine. Thing weighs mabe 20lbs, we did a couple hundred miles that way. Now with strut that can handle hundreds each, plus the rails, it feels far better than factory fresh. So far 200 more miles with a full tank.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
        2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
        PullRite Superglide

Comment

Working...
        X