Installing pressure gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing pressure gauge

I am getting ready to install a water pressure gauge in my rig. I found a flush mount glycerin filled gauge with a rear mounted fitting that should work very well. I was concerned about the possibility of the liquid filled gauge freezing here in Canada but it appears glycerin freezes below -40 so hopefully it will be ok.

I will be running 2-3 feet of pex from a tee to the mounting location. I am wondering about the air that will be trapped in the line before the gauge. Will I get accurate pressure readings with air in the line or do I need to come up with a way to bleed this air off at the gauge?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Pressure is pressure. Once the water squeezes the air to line pressure the gage will read correctly. This will be a case of static pressure rather than dynamic, so no worry about response.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I would agree that the gauge will read correctly even if there is air in the line. I would disagree that you will only be monitoring static pressure. You will be able to see a variety of dynamic (changing) pressure scenarios. Air in the line will damp the gauge response, but not enough to even notice. Good choice on the glycerin damped gauge . . . this will be very easy to read.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
        I am getting ready to install a water pressure gauge in my rig. I found a flush mount glycerin filled gauge with a rear mounted fitting that should work very well. I was concerned about the possibility of the liquid filled gauge freezing here in Canada but it appears glycerin freezes below -40 so hopefully it will be ok.

I will be running 2-3 feet of pex from a tee to the mounting location. I am wondering about the air that will be trapped in the line before the gauge. Will I get accurate pressure readings with air in the line or do I need to come up with a way to bleed this air off at the gauge?

Bob
        Can you post a picture of the gauge you selected and reference information?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Pressure variations will be slow enough to consider only the static response of the gauge. Not trying to measure the ripple of pump delivery.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Also over time if the line stays full of water, the air may actually dissolve into the water. Similar to what happens in the HWH with it's air baffle at the top.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can you post a picture of the gauge you selected and reference information?
              I’ll post some pics of the install when it’s done. Gauge is from Princess Auto, a Canadian company similar to Harbor Freight in the US. It’s more hardware and industrial supply than auto related. Great place for DIYers.
              https://www.princessauto.com/en/100-...t/PA0008889735

Bob

Click image for larger version  Name:	8889735_A8C0_00_01.jpg&height=600&width=600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	57843
              2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

I recognize that gauge! There is always a "raised eyebrow" when Canadians reference "Princess" Auto with Americans. Does seem like a curious name for a parts and tools supply place . We are very used to the name and the stores here in Canada. The first one was on "Princess Street" in Winnipeg, Manitoba . . . hence the name. https://www.princessauto.com/en/ourStory

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You gotta love Princess Auto, or as some of us say PA. They have a little bit of everything, and whenever you go, you can't just grab that one item and leave. You always need to take a full look around, see what random tool or item you never knew that you needed
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO

Then when you bring home that random tool/part/gadget that you might need some day and go to put it in the drawer where you keep those type of things . . . there is already one there that you forgot about, from some previous trip to PA . It has happened to me . . . more than once!

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      StephenO

Then when you bring home that random tool/part/gadget that you might need some day and go to put it in the drawer where you keep those type of things . . . there is already one there that you forgot about, from some previous trip to PA . It has happened to me . . . more than once!

Rob
                      Just keeping the spare inventory well stocked, that's all!
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

You Canadiens get all of the good stuff and places to shop . You also get Molson Golden , Malt Duck ( if that is still around), and great fishing lakes that are so far out there you have to take a train ride to get there ( I know that may have been a long time ago).

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                          You gotta love Princess Auto, or as some of us say PA. They have a little bit of everything, and whenever you go, you can't just grab that one item and leave. You always need to take a full look around, see what random tool or item you never knew that you needed
                          You never know what you need until you get there.

Bob
                          2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

I can't argue Country Campers , we do have some awesome fishing spots. Of course the best ones are the hardest to get too!
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              You Canadiens get all of the good stuff and places to shop . You also get Molson Golden , Malt Duck ( if that is still around), and great fishing lakes that are so far out there you have to take a train ride to get there ( I know that may have been a long time ago).

Brian
                              50% of all the lakes in the world are in Canada . . . and they all have fish of some kind . We also have a countless number of good beers . . . but, I had to look up Malt Duck . . . it's American LOL!

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X