To seal or not to seal shower pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To seal or not to seal shower pan

I can’t believe I’ve had my 2250RK for almost two years and I’m hearing just now the advice (accurate or not) to not seal the area at the bottom of the shower where the sides meet the pan. I sealed mine just after buying it because it seemed to me that there should not be such a obvious gap there where the water would surly get past when it seemed to me (duh) that the water should go down the drain.
    I do realize that the contributor (not here) may not be accurate with their advice to not seal that area but it pays to get some additional feedback from the guru’s here.
    All input appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Many Grand Design shower installations have the wall panels overlapping the base pan with no sealant along this overlap. There is no way for the water to flow “up” that overlap. Consider how shingles work on a roof. Our shower has this overlap without sealant and we have had no problems in over 5 years of use.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The only issue we've had with the pan not being sealed all around is water traveling past the retractable curtain in the corners, otherwise all is well. I have resealed the curtain bottom rail to the pan, including the two lower corners where the pan, wall panels, and curtain rail all join together, ensuring to get sealant all the way to the back lip. Hopefully that has solved the issue!
      ​​​​​
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Many Grand Design shower installations have the wall panels overlapping the base pan with no sealant along this overlap. There is no way for the water to flow “up” that overlap. Consider how shingles work on a roof. Our shower has this overlap without sealant and we have had no problems in over 5 years of use.

Rob
        Gotcha, that makes sense. thanks Rob. I’ve not run across that info in 3 yrs (had a Heartland during first year) of RV research and online learning nor through who knows how many discussions with others at hundreds of campgrounds. In any case, would it seem reasonable that sealing it anyway, it would be almost impossible to cause a problem?
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

A “theory” previously discussed (but not verified with Grand Design) was that the uncaulked overlap allows different expansion/contraction of the wall and pan. Also suggested was that this provides some ventilation for the walls behind the shower. I don’t know if either of these things are the true reason.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            A “theory” previously discussed (but not verified with Grand Design) was that the uncaulked overlap allows different expansion/contraction of the wall and pan. Also suggested was that this provides some ventilation for the walls behind the shower. I don’t know if either of these things are the true reason.

Rob
            Thanks Rob. All that sounds reasonable but I’ll go with (call me crazy) the idea that the water going down the wall needs to go down the drain and just keep it simple. Tks again.
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret There seems to be very little consistency in how the showers are sealed at time of delivery. Our 2021 2600RB came new sealed around the base of the shower and virtually everywhere else. No leaks. Others have units that are not sealed as completely, no leaks. Theories abound. Seems to me that if there are no leaks the wall behind the shower would not need to be ventilated, use of a hot shower in really cold weather might cause condensation on the wall in rare circumstances although the belly heat goes in there when the furnace is in use. Any residual water that stays in that area at the bottom of the pan could cause mildew in my opinion. Removing the access cover on the shower pan allows for inspection of the area if there should be a concern regarding moisture. All of my various units over the years have been sealed, regardless of brand. As Rob says water has a hard time flowing uphill also. I would not worry about it either way but like that ours is sealed. It would be interesting to have the GD opinion on this matter however.

Dave
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                Schiefswret There seems to be very little consistency in how the showers are sealed at time of delivery. Our 2021 2600RB came new sealed around the base of the shower and virtually everywhere else. No leaks. Others have units that are not sealed as completely, no leaks. Theories abound. Seems to me that if there are no leaks the wall behind the shower would not need to be ventilated, use of a hot shower in really cold weather might cause condensation on the wall in rare circumstances although the belly heat goes in there when the furnace is in use. Any residual water that stays in that area at the bottom of the pan could cause mildew in my opinion. Removing the access cover on the shower pan allows for inspection of the area if there should be a concern regarding moisture. All of my various units over the years have been sealed, regardless of brand. As Rob says water has a hard time flowing uphill also. I would not worry about it either way but like that ours is sealed. It would be interesting to have the GD opinion on this matter however.

Dave
                Good info, thanks Dave. Travel safe.

Dave
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Working...
                X