Nautilus panel - Dry Camping vs City Water setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus panel - Dry Camping vs City Water setting

Had something weird happen today. As we prepared to leave our RV spot this morning, I set my Nautilus panel to "Dry Camping". I do this on travel days so we can use the water pump for rest stops. When we arrived at our RV park I hooked everything up and settled in for the day. Everything worked fine - including the water faucets - without the water pump being on. What the heck? Why was my water working fine in Dry Camping mode while attached to the city water at the post??

I assumed if the panel was in Dry Camping mode that the only way I could get water would be to turn the water pump on and if I did that, the water would be pulled from the water tank. And BTW, I had the water faucets open full blast to refill the lines and water heater when we arrived so it wasn't just a little water that came out while in Dry Camping mode.

If this doesn't cause any problems, I'll just leave it on the Dry Camping setting at all times. Thoughts???
    Last edited by bertschb; 07-30-2021, 07:11 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    Had something weird happen today. As we prepared to leave our RV spot this morning, I set my Nautilus panel to "Dry Camping". I do this on travel days so we can use the water pump for rest stops. When we arrived at our RV park I hooked everything up and settled in for the day. Everything worked fine - including the water faucets - without the water pump being on. What the heck? Why was my water working fine in Dry Camping mode while attached to the city water at the post??

I assumed if the panel was in City Water mode that the only way I could get water would be to turn the water pump on and if I did that, the water would be pulled from the water tank. And BTW, I had the water faucets open full blast to refill the lines and water heater when we arrived so it wasn't just a little water that came out while in Dry Camping mode.

If this doesn't cause any problems, I'll just leave it on the Dry Camping setting at all times. Thoughts???
    Not strange at all. The complete diagrams are posted in the Reference Material section in post 2 of the linked thread below. The only difference between the two settings is the shutoff to the fresh water tank. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...el-information

Personally I wouldn't leave the fresh water tank lever in the Dry Camping position because if the pump was accidentally turned on it would fight the backpressure from the City Water connection. Good way to burn out a pump?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      The complete diagrams are posted in the Reference Material section in post 2 of the linked thread below.
      Interestingly, the panel in my 2020 Solitude 310GK only has four handles. No black handle as shown in the diagrams you referenced.

My panel:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3392.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	58237
      Last edited by bertschb; 06-22-2021, 08:34 AM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

In the dry camping mode while hooked to city water you may have the opportunity to fill the fresh tank , or overfill the fresh tank, if the check valve at the pump is forced open. I would recommend to use the proper settings for the mode you are using.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Interestingly, the panel in my 2020 Solitude 310GK only has four handles. No black handle as shown in the diagrams you referenced.

I would never use the water pump while connected to city water. We only use it at rest stops.

My panel:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3392.jpg
Views:	1507
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	58237
          Your panel is a Ver 2? Interesting!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

It is the Nautilus P4 panel.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
              It is the Nautilus P4 panel.
              Do you know if there are existing drawings for this version of the panel available that show how it works?

Comment

No I don't know. I have found only the installation and user manuals.

I would expect it to be similar to the P1 without the black valve. Maybe the black valve function is replaced by a plumbing workaround.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I found this manual for the Nautilus P4 panel:
                  http://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-conte...us-P4-User.pdf
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

It looks like the green valve connects or blocks the pump intake to the fresh water tank. So you could set the valves to dry camp and get water to the fixtures as though you were set to city water or have dry camp when hose is not connected for city water. Without changing the dry camp valve settings.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

For the P4 if connected and using city water does it still go thru the pump and filter

Comment

Originally posted by Gbarker View Post
                        For the P4 if connected and using city water does it still go thru the pump and filter
                        TedS or bertschb -- ???

Comment

As far as I know city water never flows through the pump. It only appears at the pump outlet. Never at the pump inlet, except through a valve set to pressure fill the tank and that valve blocks city water from flowing back through the pump when not set to fill the tank.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

bertschb . I also have the four valve setup. More than once I have had to go out and turn to City position after hooking up the hose, and forgetting. Or I will remember the valve, but forget the hose bib. Mine doesn't allow the city water thru when set for dry.
                            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
                            X