Pump out service and mixing tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump out service and mixing tanks

Next month we are moving over to an RV park that does not have sewer connections, but they do provide a pump out service. My dump handles are inside a bay that I normally keep locked. So in order to allow the pump out service access to do the deed while I am not there I have to leave my valves open. Of course I have a valtera twist valve at sewer pipe exit to keep things contained.

I have always kept gray water and black water separate. I am not sure why, I guess it's kind of like not letting your peas get into your mashed potatoes. So I am thinking about the self leveling effects of leaving all three tank valves open at the same time. Shower water has the most, so it stands to reason when all three tanks are open shower water will move into the kitchen water and black tank. And, it may come to pass that black water could move into the gray water tanks at some point. Although I think if i carefully manage this it won't happen, but it's possible so therefore it must be considered.

Can anyone think of a reason that I shouldn't do this?
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
    Next month we are moving over to an RV park that does not have sewer connections, but they do provide a pump out service. My dump handles are inside a bay that I normally keep locked. So in order to allow the pump out service access to do the deed while I am not there I have to leave my valves open. Of course I have a valtera twist valve at sewer pipe exit to keep things contained.

I have always kept gray water and black water separate. I am not sure why, I guess it's kind of like not letting your peas get into your mashed potatoes. So I am thinking about the self leveling effects of leaving all three tank valves open at the same time. Shower water has the most, so it stands to reason when all three tanks are open shower water will move into the kitchen water and black tank. And, it may come to pass that black water could move into the gray water tanks at some point. Although I think if i carefully manage this it won't happen, but it's possible so therefore it must be considered.

The short answer is "It will probably be fine". The longer answer is it depends. The reason you do not mix them is you can do things with grey water you cannot (or would not want to with grey). You will probably never do those things, but for example I use a grey water tote, and do not put black water in it. I have also been to campgrounds with no dump stations but do allow grey water to go into the toilets in the bathrooms. Also in the grey system the lowest point is the shower, so when the grey tank is full grey water backs up into the shower. If you have or have had black water in your tank that could be.... gross.

When I am in that situation I usually try to be there the first time they come, to get a sense of it, and then depending how often they come if you really need to keep the hatch locked I would just have the grey valve open. It takes me several weeks to fill the black so that should not be an issue. You kind of want the black tank fullish when dumping it anyway, things flow a bit better and if they are pumping out you will not be able to flush anyway.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Shower water has the most, so it stands to reason when all three tanks are open shower water will move into the kitchen water and black tank. And, it may come to pass that black water could move into the gray water tanks at some point. Although I think if i carefully manage this it won't happen, but it's possible so therefore it must be considered.
      While the shower may have the “most’, as soon as all of the valves are open, they will all be “equal” in level, between them. Which ever one you add to, it will become the one with the “most” in it. Could be the shower, could be the toilet.

It would seem to me that the last one added to will force itself into the neighboring one. Could be the toilet, forcing itself into one/both of the grey tanks. Your call as to whether this is acceptable. I don’t think that it would be for me.
      Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
      Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
      2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
      Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
      Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

[QUOTE=ncitro;n58730The longer answer is it depends. . [/QUOTE]

My childish mind zeroed in on that old joke. I had to reread your post. You and Tom in PGH both make very valid points I didn't think of. I do a pretty good job of keeping us dumped in all kinds of situations and haven't have the shower back up since my daughters visit, with the kids.

So the equalized tanks are not going to work. Floaters in the shower would cause a great deal of marital stress.

​​​​​​​So I will just say no to my idea....
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

The waste water will achieve level and will be the same level provided that the tanks are on the same level. I would not be able to combine my three as the kitchen gray is the highest and once the black and bath gray were full, it would flood the shower before my kitchen gray would have more than 2-4 inches of standing water.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

My childish mind zeroed in on that old joke. I had to reread your post. You and Tom in PGH both make very valid points I didn't think of. I do a pretty good job of keeping us dumped in all kinds of situations and haven't have the shower back up since my daughters visit, with the kids.

So the equalized tanks are not going to work. Floaters in the shower would cause a great deal of marital stress.

So I will just say no to my idea....
            Yeah I just wouldn't do it. Combining the greys is probably fine (although I don't do that either). I decided to go with a grey water tote. We can go several weeks on the black and a full week on the galley if we conserve well. The bathroom grey gets used with the tote every few days.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Even if the black tank is the lowest level, when you equalize, water dilutes into itself. If it's not long from the time you open the valves to the time he pumps you out, it may not have time to self mix. If it's hours, you will most likely end up with the nasties of the black tank throughout the system.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Have you changed the locks on the bay from what GD provided? if not they probably have a key that will work. It probably the universal 567 one. Or if you have, leave a key at the park office, Just brainstorming here.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X