Fresh water hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh water hookup

In a 2021 transcend 221 rb I have a problem with hooking up the fresh water to the control center in the front. I tried 3 different hoses ( 2 were new ) and no matter how tight the connections were it still leaked. Is this a common problem going from metal to plastic? I had to fill the water tank and use the pump or flood out the front storage area.
    2021 Grand Design Transcend 221RB
    2018 f150 4x4

Can you put a pic of where it leaked at? I know I am on my second city water inlet. I think it has to do with the hose pulling onto the inlet causing a leak. Mine started leaking behind the female end.
    Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
    Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
    2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
    2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Is the washer in place?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Yes it has a washer! It leaks between the threads of the plastic and metal threads. Not behind it. It is the "all in 1 utility center" located in the front storage area. The hose comes in from the bottom and 8 inches higher you have to curve it to screw it into the built in connection.
        2018 f150 4x4

Comment

Forgot picture. Fresh water is lower right corner and white. Hose comes in from center of black deck area.
          Last edited by Mokey; 07-06-2021, 08:19 PM.
          2018 f150 4x4

Comment

You may want to try adding a 45 or 90 degree adapter to soften the transition and you can also add teflon tape to the adapter and see if that mitigates to leak.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I have some adapters sitting around somewhere. Not sure of the angle but will check. Was thinking of an elbow coming out about 2 1/2 " and then it would be straight down to under the trailer. Shouldn't have to use Teflon tape every time you hook up. No problem for 15 years with our old trailer. I'll also add it to the other 14 items that have to be looked at under warrenty.
              2018 f150 4x4

Comment

I was just thinking about Teflon on the male end of metal connection. If you have a problem with your hose connecting, your hose may the problem.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
                  I have some adapters sitting around somewhere. Not sure of the angle but will check. Was thinking of an elbow coming out about 2 1/2 " and then it would be straight down to under the trailer. Shouldn't have to use Teflon tape every time you hook up. No problem for 15 years with our old trailer. I'll also add it to the other 14 items that have to be looked at under warrenty.
                  I use this adapter on my Imagine to get the right angle. Purchased on Amazon.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Tapered pipe threads that create a seal between the male and female threads can benefit from Teflon tape. All other connections (including any type of hose connections) rely on compression of a soft O-ring or washer to create the water tight seal between the two parts. If the leak is between the male hose end and the female connector on the trailer, this comes back to the washer not sealing properly between these two parts . . . or, one or the other is cracked.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tried 3 different hoses. 2 were new. Same results from all. Doubt if it is the hose. Never been hooked up before so all parts are new, washer and screen in place. If trailer part is cracked it should be replaced under warrenty.
                      2018 f150 4x4

Comment

Mokey You might want to look into https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and some drinking water safe quick disconnects like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I did based on either Rob or Howard's setup and it works quite well. The quick connects keep me from having to thread the hose in the compartment. Also makes for quick work in hooking to the lack flush line (I keep a separate set on hand in case it's a public dump vs site dump).

One other thing I have to help keep from flooding the compartment is a short 3' connector hose. This allow me to drain the water lines before disconnecting to minimize the available water that needs to be relieved. https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Gar...-garden&sr=1-3

I also found in some instances these work better than flat washers. https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-50381-...s%2C196&sr=8-9 can be picked up at the local orange box store in the gardening section. MFG stocked locally is Orbit.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Add another washer to see if the leak stops.

I had a case where the shoulder of an adaptor seated against the fitting swivel before seating and sealing against the washer inside the inlet.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
                            Tried 3 different hoses. 2 were new. Same results from all. Doubt if it is the hose. Never been hooked up before so all parts are new, washer and screen in place. If trailer part is cracked it should be replaced under warrenty.
                            I would certainly start by trying a new washer. The original one may have a screen as part of the washer and may be protecting an inlet check valve . . . so, remove the original one carefully. The replacement should again have a screen, but to prove whether this is the source of the problem, another type could be used. The softer "O Ring" style referenced by Joseph will probably seal best. Make sure that there is no debris in the female connection on the trailer that would be keeping the washer or O ring from seating correctly.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                              You may want to try adding a 45 or 90 degree adapter to soften the transition and you can also add teflon tape to the adapter and see if that mitigates to leak.
                              I did this early on, and it worked perfect.
                              Grand Design-Imagine
                              2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Comment

Working...
                              X