Leak in bottom of new-for-2021(?) shower with rainfall and body jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak in bottom of new-for-2021(?) shower with rainfall and body jets

Hello, I'm prepping for a trip, and suddenly a leak started from the bottom of my shower system, see pics... I'm still exploring the issue, but anyone else experience the same from this model? I'm planning to remove and inspect the lower handle, but I don't immediately see how to do that, any hints?
    No it isn't from freezing, the shower was fine in May and it hasn't been below freezing since then (and it was winterized properly).
    Also, the water is coming from the bottom corners/seams of the enclosure, not from the screw or the handle/faucet.
    Thanks,
    Kenton
    2021 397TH
    2021 F350 6.7L DRW

kenton Take the wand and hang it below that point, then turn off the water and look for water to continue running out of the end of the hose, while listening for an air sucking sound. If you hear the air sucking sound, there is a vacuum breaker somewhere inside the faucet assembly that is leaking. Otherwise it may be a loose fitting inside the faucet.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      kenton Take the wand and hang it below that point, then turn off the water and look for water to continue running out of the end of the hose, while listening for an air sucking sound. If you hear the air sucking sound, there is a vacuum breaker somewhere inside the faucet assembly that is leaking. Otherwise it may be a loose fitting inside the faucet.
      Thanks Joseph for this tip... I'm not sure when you say "turn off the water" if you mean at the pump, and the water on/off in the shower assembly, or both. (Probably because I'm not 100% clear on how the vacuum breaker works exactly, I'll have to research it.) Here's what I did, please tell me if this isn't what you meant:
      I laid the wand on the shower floor, with the pump on, the lower 'water hot/cold on/off" in the cold water on position, and the 'middle' handle (that directs the water to the rain shower head, the body jets or the wand) toward 'wand only', and let the water spray up for a few moments. Then, I turned off the water pump (but left the cold water handle on). The water slowed to a stop, the leak slowed to a stop, and I didn't hear any sucking sound (although I will try it again, I had the fan and AC on, so if the sound is faint, I may have missed it).
      I then turned the pump back on, the water sprayed up again, the leak started again, and I shut the water off at the shower assembly (the 'lower' handle), but left the pump on. The water stopped at the wand, but kept dripping from the bottom of the assembly. I didn't hear any sucking sound (but again I can repeat it with the fans and AC off).
      So, thanks for the suggestion, if you can clarify what "turn off the water" means precisely, I can repeat the experiment.
      Regards,
      Kenton
      2021 397TH
      2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

kenton You can leave the pump on or be attached to shore supply. A vacuum breaker is designed to prevent back flow of water into the supply lines. When pressure hits the vacuum breaker (one way valve) it seals closed (some have a "calibrated" leak), when the pressure on the vacuum breaker is reversed (siphon) it activates and allows air to enter the line preventing a suction from forming and sucking contaminants into the system. Not in your specific head, but in other RV heads, there is a thread where someone found trash in the vacuum breaker causing sealing issues.

And the sucking noise is hard to hear b/c its not a very large opening. You can try removing the wand head to speed up the flow of water which may increase the volume of air and the sucking sound.
        Joseph
        Tow
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Going back to the OP and reading the notation on the first photo about the pump cycling on and off every 30-seconds, this is a classical symptom of a leak in the line someplace. Any way to pull the housing/shroud off and start looking at connections?
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Not to sidetrack, but how is the pressure in the shower when it was working? I was looking to upgrade my 2020 to that setup. In the 2020, there is a little rubber flapper that acts as a back flow preventer. Maybe it is stuck open on yours? Although with the valves off, it shouldn't be trying to run anyways....
            2020 GD 320G
            2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Hello, providing an update (still not fixed):
              @Joseph/Jlawles2, I tried the maneuvers with the wand (including removing the head) and the water pump and faucet, with A/C and fans off so I could hear faint sounds, and I heard nothing. Actually, occasionally I heard something maybe, faintly, very infrequently. But I wouldn't call it a 'sucking' sound. I'm convinced I don't have a vacuum breaker issue.

@John/JBill, I agree it seems like a loose connection or cracked fitting, I started to remove the assembly (there's a hex set screw hidden in the two handles, a large screw near the bottom, and some caulk), but haven't had time to finish (I'm also working and 10 other things), so I'm hiring a mobile tech.
              I did find an access panel on the other side of the shower assembly wall, in the 'kitchen' cabinets, but it is a very small hole that appears to only be there to install one valve (it isn't really useful for repair or evaluating internal leaks).
              RoyB, regarding pressure: this setup definitely requires more pressure (and uses more water!) than a wand-only, when using the rain shower head and/or body jets. I haven't measured the minimum required psi compared to wand-only, nor the additional water flow rate, but from just a wild-ass guess I'd say you need at least 50 psi for rain shower head, 70 psi for rain and jet, vs just 40 or even less for wand only. The camper water pump is sufficient, but not great (so, it's maybe 50?) And I'd guess that the jets and shower head EACH use 2x the water of the wand (so, 4x with both, which is an option on the front panel).
              I personally use little 'hits' of the rain shower head when I am hooked to water/sewer (no body jet usage), and only the wand when dry camping. However, my wife claims she uses the rain shower less than the wand (meaning, the larger water flow is compensated by turning it on for less duration), I'm not sure, I guess it depends on how long your hair is, how tall you are and how you shower. She definitely likes the rain shower head and the jets (although to a lesser extent), over the wand.
              2021 397TH
              2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

UPdate: Ok, briefly there was at least one loose hose screw-on fitting. Tightened, replaced, leak ALMOST completely gone. Key word there "almost". Waited a couple hours for any residual water to drain out of assembly-- nope, still leaking. Will tear into it again when there's time (it isn't a priority now that I know it isn't leaking internally).
                The assembly comes off easily with removal of one screw on the bottom on the face/front of it, breaking of the caulk bead, and lift up and out to disengage from the hook at the top.
                There is access from the back/other side of the wall, in the 'kitchen' cabinets (see attached picture), but the existing access hole is small. Click image for larger version

Name:	shower_access_1_PXL_20210716_132058029.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	60820Click image for larger version

Name:	shower_access_2_PXL_20210716_132000289.MP_LI.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	60821
                Kenton
                2021 397TH
                2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

kenton You can probably use a utility knife to cut the paneling to enlarge the hole if needed. The cover panel looks like it's already hiding quite a large access hole to a smaller hole.

I use a roofers hook blade sometimes along with the normal blades when I cannot see what's behind. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Ho...1016/206577907

Someone is probably going to complain about others spending their money on tools (no name dropping here Keith).Yoda
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

That looks like a cold water line (blue in color), and the hot water may be to the left if I have my orientation correct. Feeling around inside the current opening, or using a mirror to find the hot water line will help determine in which direction to enlarge the opening.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

kenton That looks like the vacuum breaker for the black tank flush line. Note the 90 that has the square on it.

See post 16 and 17 https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ce-valve/page2

I did not see one on the parts page, but there is one on the black tank flush line for safety.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I just had a fairly large leak from that same location except mine was leaking into the wall and down into the basement...NOT GOOD! I ended up removing the shower assembly (it was pretty easy just one screw then lift up) and found a loose fitting. I am going to be overhauling the assembly to add Teflon tape to the fittings and figuring how to seal the shower from inside the wall...does not seem like a very good design, water always finds a way.
                        DJ & Abbie
                        2021 Solitude 378MBS
                        2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                        X