Water Filtration Assistance Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filtration Assistance Needed

Need some help understanding how the different systems work.
    When we first started RV living, the little blue in-line filter made perfect sense and I installed one right away and have kept up on changing it regularly - saved us a few times by catching sediment and line "junk" at different places we stayed.
    Added an On the Go water softener due to a trip to AZ where it seems everyone runs them due to the "hard" water.
    Now in WA at a site where we have a sulfur smell from the hot water, particularly in the shower when it's first turned on and from what I've been able to find searching online it's time to add an activated charcoal filter to reduce/eliminate this happening.
    • Have been looking at the 2 cartridge & 3 cartridge systems - any input on pros & cons of each?
    • Regardless of which one I use, where do I put the water softener - before or after the filters?
    • Do I keep the little blue filter at the spigot for sediment control?
    Not sure if it matters, but my intent is to utilize a plastic storage bin similar to the storage ones I'm using to create a filter enclosure that will sit directly below where the water enters the RV the same as I've done with the water softener - like to keep as many of the non-factory water connections outside of the RV as possible while providing a way to manage potential leaks if we're in colder weather and need to move them into the basement storage area.

Thank you!
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
    Now in WA at a site where we have a sulfur smell from the hot water, particularly in the shower when it's first turned on and from what I've been able to find searching online it's time to add an activated charcoal filter to reduce/eliminate this happening.

Thank you!
    Before you spend more $$ check your owners manual for your water heater. My manual specifically talks about rotten egg small AND tells how to resolve the smell. The smell is created when certain minerals in the water react with the metal tank in the water heater.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I used to use a two cartridge water filter system and placed it downstream from my water softener. As you plan to do, I had my filters in a clear storage bin so it was easier to handle while setting up and breaking down for travel. I wouldn't bother with the blue filter at the spigot if you have good quality and full size filters. One of the two filters should be a sediment filter and it should catch finer particles than the inexpensive blue filters. I wouldn't add any more restrictions to water flow than necessary - which is actually why I no longer use water filters of any kind. Instead, we buy bottled water for drinking. All campground water is potable and clean enough for showering and washing dishes. In the end, water flow/pressure for showers was more important to me than being able to drink water from the tap. That's just me though! There are many good water filter systems available and you may not experience any pressure loss at all. I got mine from RVWaterFilterStore.com
      Last edited by bertschb; 07-11-2021, 11:14 AM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

when I did the whole home softener, I was told that any chlorine or other filter should be in front of the hard water softener as the chemicals that make smells tend to kill the resins used to capture the hardness in the water.

For smells you need something like a green sand filter. Do not know if they make a portable one like the water softener.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I would agree with checking the water heater , not sure if you have an anode rod or not. Also you may need to rinse out the water heater tank.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
          X