Winterization--A Different Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterization--A Different Approach

First things first--I hate plumbing. Apparently the feeling is mutual.

Sometimes I am very glad the members of this forum don't get to watch me as I stumble my way through the learning process. (Yes, this is my first time winterizing.) I know all about reversing the inlet filter, priming the pump, getting the jug up higher...still didn't do me any good. Spilled a good 1/2 gallon of antifreeze on me and inside the tray near the Nautilus Panel as I tried to get that stupid pump to pull the fluid in. If a water pump can snicker, mine was laughing at me derisively.

So it was time to bring out the big guns. I used a submersible utility pump and switched the Nautilus Panel to the Power Fill setting to get ~ 4.5 gallons of antifreeze in my fresh water tank. Took all of about two minutes to pump it all in.

If you watched that video, make sure and mark it as "Most Boring Forum Video of the Year" so I get some recognition. Thanks.

After getting the antifreeze into the fresh water tank, I set the Nautilus Panel to Dry Camping, turned on the water pump, and made my way around to all the water outlets, opening one at a time until the fluid coming out ran red.
    • I deviated from the diagram settings on the Nautilus panel by turning the red handle to point to the 9 o'clock position (off). If I had not done that all the antifreeze would have been pumped into the hot water tank. Also note that before starting the hot water tank was completely drained so I knew it was empty.
    Since my wife has a washing machine I momentarily ran it on both the HOT and COLD water settings until I saw red fluid in the basin and then had the washer drain the fluid.

I also ran antifreeze through the outside sprayer hose.

Once complete I turned off the pump and opened the bottom drains. They all spit out a bit of red antifreeze. (Yea!)

Finally, the bucket went under the fresh water tank and only about 1/8 of a gallon spilled out when the drain handle was pulled--almost all the antifreeze pumped into the tank was used. I estimate over 4 gallons was pumped through the system. Some is in the retaining tanks when the red antifreeze went down a drain, but most of it is in the plumbing system. Frankly, I was surprised so little came out of the water tank.
    So that's my story. Now you know why I recommend if you have a plumbing question that you ask Rob (Cate&Rob).
    Last edited by howson; 10-28-2019, 04:44 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I do not understand how my RV can winterize so easily and many others have issues. I do not have to turn the screen around, I do not have to prime the pump, I do set the bucket up on top of another bucket but that is it. Is there some kind of difference in the plumbing that could cause one to differ from another? Inquiring minds want to know...…….

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I do not understand how my RV can winterize so easily and many others have issues. I do not have to turn the screen around, I do not have to prime the pump, I do set the bucket up on top of another bucket but that is it. Is there some kind of difference in the plumbing that could cause one to differ from another? Inquiring minds want to know...…….

Brian
      X2..as many as there are build differences (and at time deficiencies) within the same model and the same year. Buying an RV is a bit like playing craps in vegas- the dealer always wins
      Ryan and Ali
      2017 377 MBS-R- 2017 GMC Denali
      Disc brakes, Morryde suspension upgrades many more
      Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

Diaphragm pumps don’t do well at pumping air. If air has been introduced into the line feeding the pump (by opening the low point drains or blowing out the lines with air) the pump will have a hard time pulling or pushing liquid if it is operating in an air bubble. My experience with these systems is in boats. No low point drains and no pressurized air. I never had a problem with the antifreeze following the water, because the pump was always operating in liquid. When I got the RV, I experimented with the “recommended” air and low point water drain processes. I went back to basics and now have no problems. I make sure that the system is full of water (except with the water heater bypassed) and stick the hose in the jug of antifreeze.

BTW, if you are new to this or trying different processes . . . just use a jug of water (in place of the antifreeze) until you find the process that works for you. Put in a little food colouring for a less messy and less expensive learning curve . Put a bowl in the sink so that the water from the testing process doesn’t end up in the grey tanks.

.howson
        Howard, I am surprised that the pickup in your water tank could draw out all but a fraction of a gallon ?? On mine, the pickup stops drawing water when there are still several gallons in the tank. This is why pumping the antifreeze into the fresh water tank first, usually doesn’t work.

Rob
        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM.
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob

This is some good info that I have not thought about. I do blow out the lines but I am guessing that there is still water in the pump. This would leave me to believe that the pump still has "prime" and thus resulting in drawing the antifreeze from the bucket. If one does not use the pump , or use it once and a while , then there should be no water in the pump therefore it would not have anything to provide the "prime" situation that is needed. This would raise another question in that when one fills the fresh water tank and use the pump how does it gather prime the first time? The fresh water tank is certainly below the pump.

So to help others who may not use there pump at all they may need to put some water in there fresh tank and turn on the pump to get primed, then drain tank and use the winterize process. We do use our pump quite a few times a year and there have never been any issues in getting it primed for use, no problems in previous TT as well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Howard, I am surprised that the pickup in your water tank could draw out all but a fraction of a gallon?
            That is frequently the case. I routinely add 5 gallons to an empty tank prior to every tow. That water is used to flush the toilet and wash hands while on the road. More than once when I've dumped the fresh water left in the tank there was only a very small amount left.

For those reading this reply and are wondering "why only 5 gallons?" I minimize the water weight carried while towing. I even dump the hot water tank prior to departure as that 50lbs of water is right over the tire carrying the most weight. (I've had each tire weight measured so I know.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi all,
              I went and checked the documentation for the Shurflo 4008 pump, and here is what it said about winterization:

1. Drain the water tank. If the tank doesn't have a drain valve, open all faucets allowing the pump to operate until the tank is empty. 2. Open all the faucets (including the lowest valve or drain in the plumbing), allow the pump to purge the water from the plumbing, and then turn the pump OFF. 3. Using a pan to catch the remaining water, remove the plumbing at the pump's inlet/outlet ports. Turn the pump ON, allowing it to operate until the water is expelled. Turn OFF power to the pump once the plumbing is emptied. Do not reconnect the pump plumbing. Make a note at tank filler as a reminder: "Plumbing is disconnected". 4. All faucets must be left open to guard against any damage. 5. Potable anti-freeze may be poured down drains and toilets to protect p-traps and toilet seals. Sanitize the plumbing system before putting the plumbing system back in service.
              Last edited by fraserfamily; 10-29-2019, 07:59 AM.
              The Fraser Family
              Watertown, WI
              2020 GDRV Imagine 2800BH
              2017 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 rear

Comment

Originally posted by fraserfamily View Post
                Hi all,
                I went and checked the documentation for the Shurflo 4008 pump, and here is what it said about winterization:
                This process is very focused on how to protect the pump from freeze damage . . . which makes perfect sense considering that it comes from the pump manufacturer .

The assumption in the Shurflo method is that the low point drains will drain the entire water system except the pump. They are correct that the low point drains will not adequately drain the pump, but these "low point" drains will not (usually) drain the entire plumbing system. There are many sags and low points in the piping runs that will retain water even after the low point drains are opened.

There is a reason that the RV Manufacturers and Dealers use antifreeze to protect the plumbing system in cold weather. It is cheap insurance and means that nothing in the plumbing system has to be disassembled as described in the Shurflo process.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X