Thetford Type II toilet flush ball sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thetford Type II toilet flush ball sticking

I have a Thetford Type II toilet. It started not returning to the fully closed position after flushing. This resulted in not turning the water completely off and the toilet overflowing. We start pulling up on the handle to ensure that it shut off completely. So I decided to fix it. I bought all the parts and took the toilet apart, put in new water pressure shutoff grommet rubber round thingy, put in new toilet ball and seal, and new flange seal. I lubricated it with plumbers grease. Put it all back together and it worked well for a day. Now it is sticking again.

I was thinking about getting some mineral oil or baby oil to put on it to lubricate the ball. The spring appears to be strong, the lever is in the correct holes, it really doesn't work very well is they are not, I know because it took me three attempts to before I finally got it right.

Any other solutions are appreciated. I am kind of considering replacing the whole toilet if I knew there was a better one.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Olive oil is good as is silicon plumbing grease.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

d2reid Something has changed to make it not work properly. Have you changed the spring? Even though it looks and feels OK, it could have lost some of it's pull. Is there any way to add a spring (like an old fashioned screen door spring) to assist in closing?
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
        Any other solutions are appreciated. I am kind of considering replacing the whole toilet if I knew there was a better one.
        We had the Thetford toilet and it started to occasionally leak and fill like yours. I took it apart to fix it. I do not like it's design, the flush pedal is press fit together. It was a bear to get apart; and I could not get it back together again. I replaced the toilet with the Dometic model 310. It is a much better design, easy to get to the parts you may have to replace. And it works great. I highly recommend it.

Dave

2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

I have a Thetford Type II toilet. It started not returning to the fully closed position after flushing. This resulted in not turning the water completely off and the toilet overflowing. We start pulling up on the handle to ensure that it shut off completely. So I decided to fix it. I bought all the parts and took the toilet apart, put in new water pressure shutoff grommet rubber round thingy, put in new toilet ball and seal, and new flange seal. I lubricated it with plumbers grease. Put it all back together and it worked well for a day. Now it is sticking again.

I was thinking about getting some mineral oil or baby oil to put on it to lubricate the ball. The spring appears to be strong, the lever is in the correct holes, it really doesn't work very well is they are not, I know because it took me three attempts to before I finally got it right.

Use a squirt of dish soap periodically. Apply when bowl is empty..
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Jlawles2 Dirty bad seal around the ball is the culprit. After replacing the parts it worked fine for about a day, now it is dragging again. The spring is fine. It's really thick and it doesn't play very far. I cannot imagine ever wearing one out. It's more a sticking problem than a spring problem. No real way to add more springs. Nothing to attach it too.

Dave27 Getting the lever off was fairly easy, good hard yank. Get it aligned back up and then popping in place is a different matter. In fact, it is so difficult I take the toilet out so I can get it on a bench to get the lever aligned correctly. It takes several tries. Dometic 310, check. I will research it.

Yoda Adding dish soap before bed tonight, thanks for the tip.

I looked up troubleshooting on the Thetford site, they recommend silicone spray lubricant. I'll go find some of that also.

Comment

Update and conclusion.

I replaced the seals again, this time using only silicone lubricant. And it worked for a two days then started hanging up again, and leaking. I was certainly doing something incorrect on the rebuilds, but couldn't figure out what.

Then there comes a time When you reevaluate the value of your time, how much you are enjoying what you are doing, and where the true lifes value is. So I just bought the Dometic 310 as suggested above. It's in, it works, no more leaks. No more sopping up water at 3am because the toilet overflowed.

But nothing can ever go perfectly. Having taken the toilet out and put it back about 6 times that part was easy. Then I noticed the toilet color didn't match the shower. I had ordered the wrong color.

DW
              Me

But I saved myself, it's funny the things woman notice and men don't. (generally speaking) The sink is white while the shower and toilet were bone, I ordered the white toilet. I told DW that I match the sink.... not true, I had ordered the wrong color. She bought it. Phew...

The water connection isn't the same location, same size, which was a good thing. I am not a very good plumber. Fortunately I could bend the hose enough to reach the new connection. Not clean looking like the old connection, but functional. Besides, who (besides me) is going to look behind the toilet.

Me and the cat really like the new way the water swirls.

Comment

I also replaced my Thetford after having similar problems with a Dometic 320 series, 360 degree rinse, soft close seat, and porcelain bowl. Works like a champ. I should have done this the first week I owned my rig. Good luck.
                Dave and Sue
                2020 GD 2250RK
                2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

WD40 the foot pedal internals (spring).
                  2020 Transcend 265BH

Comment

Working...
                  X