Water regulator location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water regulator location

So I have been using a water regulator at the water spicket then using a water filter, Im starting to think the water regulator should be after the filter since the water filter restricts flow anyway. Have any of you put the regulator after the filter? My next trip Im planning on using the filter at spicket running a hose to my water bay and attaching the regulator there then a short hose to the rig. My guess is the filter will restrict flow below 65psi so the regulator can be set full open.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
    So I have been using a water regulator at the water spicket then using a water filter, Im starting to think the water regulator should be after the filter since the water filter restricts flow anyway. Have any of you put the regulator after the filter? My next trip Im planning on using the filter at spicket running a hose to my water bay and attaching the regulator there then a short hose to the rig. My guess is the filter will restrict flow below 65psi so the regulator can be set full open.
    Dang--never considered that configuration. Makes sense to me. Cate&Rob -- any reason this won't work?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Only issue I can see would be if water supply is very high pressure to begin with. This could put a lot of stress on the hose inline before the regulator. I have no idea what is the max recommended pressure on RV water hoses.

I just completed a project combining my regulator and filter together, running a 3' piece of hose between them and the water supply. Hopefully that short piece of hose will stand up to any increased pressure I get at the spigot.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I put my regulator inside the door for my nautilus system. I was thinking the same thing about the filter, but also I figured I wouldn’t forget the regulator and it wouldn’t be as easy to steal.

Jim
        Jim and Cindy
        2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
        2021 320G

Comment

I use zero G hoses and they withstand some high pressures
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I have a 90 degree water pressure regulator attached directly to my city water connection on the docking station. From there I use a 10' piece of hose running down through the bottom of the storage bay. On the upstream side of that 10' hose is my water filter. From the water filter I use whatever length of hose I need to reach the supply hydrant. So the flow of water is, out of the supply hydrant, down my supply hose, into the water filter, through the short 10' hose, through my pressure regulator, and into the city water connection on the docking station.

I hope this is clear and helpful!
            Bob
            Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
            2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Yep that is exactly how Im going to hook up this next trip. I have a 4 foot hose anyway that I use when fill my tank so Im good on hoses
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I do use a pressure regulator and put it right on the campground spigot, before the filter and hose. My logic is that it is protecting the filter and hose from excessive pressure . . . although, this is probably unlikely at most campgrounds.

As anyone with a "system" water pressure gauge knows . . . an inlet water pressure regulator makes no difference to the pressures reached within the RV water system. So, putting the regulator after the filter and hose (which could use the protection from excessive pressure) does not make a lot of sense. Once the water passes the RV inlet check valve, the pressure is no longer controlled by the pressure regulator. Normal water heating will often raise RV system water pressure well beyond 100 psi. If you encounter the (very common) water heater pressure relief drip that happens when the air dome in the water heater has been absorbed into the water . . . this happens at 140 psi .

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  I do use a pressure regulator and put it right on the campground spigot, before the filter and hose. My logic is that it is protecting the filter and hose from excessive pressure . . . although, this is probably unlikely at most campgrounds.

Once the water passes the RV inlet check valve, the pressure is no longer controlled by the pressure regulator.

Rob
                  I believe this would be true no matter where in the system the pressure regulator is located. So as I understand it, you are saying the ONLY advantage to a pressure regulator is to protect the supply hose and filter up to the inlet check valve on the RV. I had not thought of it that way.

Thanks!
                  Bob
                  Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                  2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by RJAPCOK View Post

I believe this would be true no matter where in the system the pressure regulator is located. So as I understand it, you are saying the ONLY advantage to a pressure regulator is to protect the supply hose and filter up to the inlet check valve on the RV. I had not thought of it that way.

Thanks!
                    Bob
                    Hi Bob,

That is exactly the way I see it. I have long been a proponent of the value of a "system" water pressure gauge. This can be T'd into any cold water line or even temporarily attached to the low point drain. For a few dollars, this gauge will tell you a lot about the functioning of your RV water system.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I put our pressure regulator at the campground spigot, but that's only because it's cheap and leaks . Otherwise I would much rather keep it at the inlet to the trailer, since it would be much easier to not forget it when disconnecting. Several times I have disconnected our fresh water hose, only to realize when doing a final look around that I see I forgot the regulator. Although since it leaks, maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world to forget it....
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I just got my water bay setup and gave this some thought, probably too much thought. What I finally came up with is putting the filter cartridge in front of the regulator. On the inlet side. This, in my mind, does two things - 1) it will filter stuff so it won't clog the regulator, specifically the orifice on the pressure gauge, and 2) it will give you the actual pressure of the water entering the RV.

Here is a picture of my water bay setup. I also in life's a picture of using my 4' hose to fill up our tank at the campground fresh water fill. I didn't want the 4' hose when I purchased it. I wanted something a little shorter. But in this case it worked out perfectly.

Mike & Lisa
                        Central Florida
                        2021 Imagine 2970RL
                        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Something to consider with a "semi-permanent" installation of the blue in-line filter is that these filters should be flushed each time before connecting to the RV water system. The "loose carbon" is most noticeable on the first use, resulting in a few seconds of black water, but this situation exists to a lesser extent every time the filter is bounced around during travel and then reconnected. I always flush the filter and hose before connecting to the RV. I would not want to put this loose carbon through the pressure regulator and into the RV water system.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Also be cognizant of the pressure limits of your filtration method. The blue cylinder ones do have a limit (65psi I think). I usually put the PR on at the Spigot to ensure the entire system is regulated. Good point on the filter potentially decreasing the pressure slightly also.
                            2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
                            2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                              I put our pressure regulator at the campground spigot, but that's only because it's cheap and leaks . Otherwise I would much rather keep it at the inlet to the trailer, since it would be much easier to not forget it when disconnecting. Several times I have disconnected our fresh water hose, only to realize when doing a final look around that I see I forgot the regulator. Although since it leaks, maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world to forget it....
                              I have a nice collection of "left over" brass regulators if you need a replacement.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X