Black #2 drain line hits suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black #2 drain line hits suspension

Have posted this in another forum looking for similar experiences and solutions, so hoping for a wider audience. On a recent trip, I discovered that the black #2 drain line was making contact with the suspension where it exits the underbelly. When I got home, I used my creeper to get under the rig and have a closer look. I found that the caulking where the pipe exits the underbelly was separated, and the line would move up and down about an inch max. So I cut a minimal access-way in the coroplast to see what was going on. The tank appears to be where it should be and doesn’t move (currently empty), but I can see that the long-radius elbow coming off the gate valve just doesn’t have the clearance to miss the suspension. I was thinking that perhaps the flanged fitting on the tank could move back an inch or so, but I found another post here that showed the disassembled parts and that doesn’t look like an option. At this point I’m wondering if I can re-pipe this line to avoid the suspension - run the pipe rearward on-slope and drop it out of the coroplast further downstream. Or if the black tank is not installed correctly? If it’s just the pipe I can handle it, but if it’s the black tank that’s a bigger job than I want to tackle.

dealer needs the rig sitting on their lot for 3 weeks before they can even look at it, which really puts,a,damper on travel plans if it’s a big job. Anyone dealt with this before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	D71AFCFE-AC88-4D7C-BADF-1F75C09FDAD3.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	61302
    Attached Files
    Ed, in the Texas Hill Country
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 F250 6.7 HCTP

El_Supremo I have never seen that one before. If it is under warranty I would reach out to Grand Design and see if they will authorize a mobile tech to come out and repair it. If it is as simple as replumbing the line I would think a mobile tech should be able to do it. Usually they cover the cost of the repair less the "call out fee", and issues can get resolved much quicker that way.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Neil, I contacted GDRV about this, and asked about the mobile tech. They told me that since I am in Texas there is a ‘franchise law’ that states something along the lines that I have to take it to the dealer or get a written authorization from the dealer to let someone else fix it. I had never heard of this before, but the dealer confirmed it. So before I went too far down this road I thought I would see if anyone else had a similar problem and how they fixed it. I may have to go the mobile tech route if this is a can of worms.
      2021 Momentum 350G
      2020 F250 6.7 HCTP

Comment

Originally posted by El_Supremo View Post
        Neil, I contacted GDRV about this, and asked about the mobile tech. They told me that since I am in Texas there is a ‘franchise law’ that states something along the lines that I have to take it to the dealer or get a written authorization from the dealer to let someone else fix it. I had never heard of this before, but the dealer confirmed it. So before I went too far down this road I thought I would see if anyone else had a similar problem and how they fixed it. I may have to go the mobile tech route if this is a can of worms.
        Wow buy yourself a lotto ticket, that's two things in one post I've never heard of. Hopefully someone will chime in with more advice, but I don't think I've ever seen that issue posted about before.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

To me the question is where upstream of the fitting in the photo is there enough length of pipe to make a cut and re-glue things together. I suspect that there may not be and you may have to go back to the flanged gate valve and then reassemble with a short radius sweep instead of a long radius sweep that you mention in the OP. Not a particularly difficult job, cut and dry fit before gluing, and you get to do most of it laying on your back in the shade. Might think about replacing the O-rings on the flange fitting while you have it apart, just good a good practice.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            To me the question is where upstream of the fitting in the photo is there enough length of pipe to make a cut and re-glue things together. I suspect that there may not be and you may have to go back to the flanged gate valve and then reassemble with a short radius sweep instead of a long radius sweep that you mention in the OP. Not a particularly difficult job, cut and dry fit before gluing, and you get to do most of it laying on your back in the shade. Might think about replacing the O-rings on the flange fitting while you have it apart, just good a good practice.
            JBill9694 this is exactly what I decided to try - use a short-sweep elbow instead, as it should buy me about 1.5” more clearance vs a long-sweep. I think that’s plenty to clear the suspension. Parts are ordered and hopefully I will have it re-piped next weekend.

2021 Momentum 350G
            2020 F250 6.7 HCTP

Comment

Working...
            X