Dometic Water Heater Thermo cut off Bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Water Heater Thermo cut off Bypass

I hope I have the posted in the correct place. If it needs to be under Appliances, please move.

I remember reading several posts about bypassing the thermo-couple to get a water heater working. I don't remember and pictures or how to do it.

Here are a couple pictures of my water heater.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0667s.jpg Views:	21 Size:	149.5 KB ID:	61746
    Is the thremo-couple the plastic covered tube center below the words P-T ONLY?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0668s.jpg Views:	18 Size:	102.4 KB ID:	61747 This? (center of picture)

To bypass do you pull it out and connect the brown wire to the connection labeled BRM?

What does the thermo-couple do and is it safe to bypass and for how long?

Just wondering. I don't have any issues now, but just documenting the field fixes possible. Is there a way to know if it has gone bad?

For my Alaska trip I plan to get a spare Dinosaur board.

Thanks for any help
    Keith....now back to my corner
    Last edited by Country Campers; 07-28-2021, 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed title
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith

I believe that you are confusing a "thermal coupler" to a "thermal cutoff" , or maybe I have it backwards. The item in the clear plastic is the thermal cutoff and spares can be bought on line , I have 3 as that is what was available per package. You can bypass that but you will not be thermally protected , it would be good to replace as soon as possible.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Keith

I believe that you are confusing a "thermal coupler" to a "thermal cutoff" , or maybe I have it backwards. The item in the clear plastic is the thermal cutoff and spares can be bought on line , I have 3 as that is what was available per package. You can bypass that but you will not be thermally protected , it would be good to replace as soon as possible.

Brian
      Thanks Brian - Yes I am confused more often than I will admit. Do you happen to have a link to the part? Nothing is wrong now, so no need to replace. Just trying to learn what can be done for a quick fix and if doing so will cause harm.

Mods if the title needs to be corrected to reflect the correct part, please fix it.

Thanks
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda I think it is this: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-...492782&sr=8-10

To bypass it in an emergency I believe you cut it out and short it together. It is designed to open if the temperature gets to high, so by shorting the brown wires you bypass it. As suggested I would not run like this for long, but in an emergency we do what we have to do. Obviously in that case you would shut it off most of the time and only run it when needed and ideally under observation.

If you are collecting parts for the water heater, a less critical failure is the relay on the 115V side. If this goes you can still run it on gas so its not as big of a deal but I have had that go as well. It is on the "back side" so needs to be accessed from inside the rig.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Yoda I think it is this: https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-...492782&sr=8-10

To bypass it in an emergency I believe you cut it out and short it together. It is designed to open if the temperature gets to high, so by shorting the brown wires you bypass it. As suggested I would not run like this for long, but in an emergency we do what we have to do. Obviously in that case you would shut it off most of the time and only run it when needed and ideally under observation.

If you are collecting parts for the water heater, a less critical failure is the relay on the 115V side. If this goes you can still run it on gas so its not as big of a deal but I have had that go as well. It is on the "back side" so needs to be accessed from inside the rig.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Thanks Neil
          Does the brand make any difference I see Dometic/Atwood then Frienda and LIT at various prices. Also how often do these go out? I assume if they fail propane will not start?

And your going to laugh at me, but I cant remember the last time I used electric. Maybe I should when plugged in to shore power. How do you know if the 115V relay is bad and not the board - just wondering and trying to learn.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Neil
            Does the brand make any difference I see Dometic/Atwood then Frienda and LIT at various prices. Also how often do these go out? I assume if they fail propane will not start?

And your going to laugh at me, but I cant remember the last time I used electric. Maybe I should when plugged in to shore power. How do you know if the 115V relay is bad and not the board - just wondering and trying to learn.

Keith
            I became something of an expert on the Atwood water heater a few years ago. We were travelling with my in laws and they had the same heater. Both of us had them fail, both lost boards (for different reasons) and I also lost my relay. I was able to look at the circuit and reroute enough to get one of the two boards going and we literally moved it between rigs between showers lol. After a while I bypassed the board on mine altogether and made it just run on 115 with his relay, and gave him my board and got his running on gas. All the board does on 115 is send 12v to the relay that makes the element run, so it was easy to bypass as I recall. On gas it does a lot more, it manages the gas valve and igniter as well. If I recall correctly the thermostat is external, so bypassing the board does not cause any safety issues.

Now to answer your actual question. I have never had the first item actually fail (thermo sensor or fuse or whatever). What I have had happen is it gets all corroded and nasty and does not conduct any more. I have always been able to pull back the plastic, trim the wires down and reconnect it with no issue. As for the relay, it was the first time I had ever had one fail, I was on a EMS and surge protector so I think it probably was defective from the factory.

I used to never use mine on electric for any RV I had. Dad always said it was not worth using because if you ran it without water it would kill the element before you knew what hit you. As I got older I realized what was the point of saving the element if I was never going to use it. Ever since then I used it whenever I had an electric site, and then ran it on both when we would shower for a faster recovery. Why not save the propane?

All that is to say this spring I replaced mine with the Truma on demand (which is AWESOME shush don't tell @howson's wife), so my Atwood knowledge is all for everyone on the boards now lol.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Brian - Yes I am confused more often than I will admit. Do you happen to have a link to the part? Nothing is wrong now, so no need to replace. Just trying to learn what can be done for a quick fix and if doing so will cause harm.

Mods if the title needs to be corrected to reflect the correct part, please fix it.

Thanks
              Keith
              Here is the link to the ones that I have Amazon.com: Water Heater Thermal Cut Off Kit Replacement Part, Toilet Part Mobile Fittings Compatible with RV OEM Atwood 93866, Auto Spare Work on Electronic Water Heater: Automotive

It is for Atwood but I thought that Atwood bought Dometic or the other way around.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Here is the link to the ones that I have Amazon.com: Water Heater Thermal Cut Off Kit Replacement Part, Toilet Part Mobile Fittings Compatible with RV OEM Atwood 93866, Auto Spare Work on Electronic Water Heater: Automotive

It is for Atwood but I thought that Atwood bought Dometic or the other way around.

Brian
                Thanks Brian
                I had that one saved in my Amazon wish list. Now to complete the list of other stuff I need - well want.

Comment

Working...
                X