Shower faucet up side down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower faucet up side down?

Is Grand Design installing the shower faucets up side down?

Ever since getting my 297RSTS, I have wondered about turning the handles downward to turn on the water. Gravity and bumps in the road would seem to "potentially" allow the water to be turned on. Also, if you are trying to quickly turn things off, a downward motion is more natural than lifting up.

And the second factor is the fitting for the hose points up causing the hose to always have a bend and put stress on the fitting which doesn't seem to be terribly robust to begin with.

And reading the RV Travel review of a Flagstaff 5er this morning, I noticed in their photos, the faucet is installed with the hose pointing down rather than up like mine in the attached photo. Theirs allows the hose to hang nice and straight with less stress on things.

Am I overthinking? Click image for larger version

Name:	20210729_084253_copy_774x1032.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	61828
    Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
    2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Hi Terry and Patty:

An interesting idea! I remember thinking the same thing when we got our Reflection 303 and turning the faucets over was always on my “to do” list . . . but, I guess we got used to it. One consideration (for us) is that the shower head hose goes through a ring on the wall (to prevent banging against the wall while travelling) and I use the shower head and hot water to wash down the toilet bowl. It would not reach if I turned the faucets over.

Did you add the shower head shut off valve or did yours come that way? (Would be more difficult to reach if you turn it over)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

trkester Interesting points you have made, all valid. Potentially turning on at some point is a near certainty. We had another brand in the past and the bathroom sink handles would turn on occasionally from vibration and bumps. Made quite the mess once when we forgot to turn off the pump while traveling and the drain plug was left in place, the grey tank filled then overflowed on the floor. An attempt to increase friction on the handles was only marginally successful. This seems a good example of something that could be passed to GD for a consideration of change, would cost nothing, and would be a great improvement. A quick fix for the handles might be installing round knobs.

Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Terry and Patty:

An interesting idea! I remember thinking the same thing when we got our Reflection 303 and turning the faucets over was always on my “to do” list . . . but, I guess we got used to it. One consideration (for us) is that the shower head hose goes through a ring on the wall (to prevent banging against the wall while travelling) and I use the shower head and hot water to wash down the toilet bowl. It would not reach if I turned the faucets over.

Did you add the shower head shut off valve or did yours come that way? (Would be more difficult to reach if you turn it over)

Rob
        I added the valve from a conversation in a different thread. I have the same ring on the wall but when I switched heads to an Oxygenics, it came with a longer hose that wouldn't go thru the ring. I'm not done with the hose dilemma yet. I like the flexibility of the original but length of the new.

Comment

trkester - doesn't look like it in your photo, but are the handles labeled with hot and cold? If they are it might get slightly confusing if they were flipped; although I'm sure there would be a way to swap the handles too.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
            trkester - doesn't look like it in your photo, but are the handles labeled with hot and cold? If they are it might get slightly confusing if they were flipped; although I'm sure there would be a way to swap the handles too.
            trkester

If flipped it would need to be re plumbed or hot / cold would be on the wrong side. Not sure if there are plumbing fittings on the top either for the feed lines. Would need to pull the wall cover and look.. Now it might be possible depending on how the valve cartridges are made to reverse them so on is up, but hose would still be out of the top. Hose comes out of the top on my unit.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

trkester

If flipped it would need to be re plumbed or hot / cold would be on the wrong side. Not sure if there are plumbing fittings on the top either for the feed lines. Would need to pull the wall cover and look.. Now it might be possible depending on how the valve cartridges are made to reverse them so on is up, but hose would still be out of the top. Hose comes out of the top on my unit.
              From the GD parts photo, looks like everything is symmetrical and a simple flip. I will have to see if my handles are marked blue and red but don't think they are. Click image for larger version

Name:	350203 (Medium).jpg
Views:	721
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	61850
              Theirs shows colors but well see. Not an earthshaking issue but as flyfshrockies mentioned, I don't want to forget to shut the pump off and have thing flood going down the road. (or course keeping my aux valve off is another checkpoint.)

Thanks all for the thoughts.

​​​​​​​Terry

Comment

I have considered turning the valve over because the loop in the hose caught under the hot handle when I pulled and it turned the hot off.
                The hose loop hangs above the wall ring, so no stress on the hose valve connection.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

As with any faucet, the handles are generic and can be put on either side. Both of our other campers had the faucets mounted with the shower discharge up, just like they are mounted in a house (except the tub or shower surround hides it).

Pointing it down may seem like a normal way to have it, but when you pull the head out of the mount it limits the amount of travel. You may try pulling the handles and valves out to see if they can be swapped side to side. Some of the newer home faucet designs have the same internals, the difference from side to side is a plate that controls direction of handle turn.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
                    Is Grand Design installing the shower faucets up side down?

Ever since getting my 297RSTS, I have wondered about turning the handles downward to turn on the water. Gravity and bumps in the road would seem to "potentially" allow the water to be turned on. Also, if you are trying to quickly turn things off, a downward motion is more natural than lifting up.

And the second factor is the fitting for the hose points up causing the hose to always have a bend and put stress on the fitting which doesn't seem to be terribly robust to begin with.

And reading the RV Travel review of a Flagstaff 5er this morning, I noticed in their photos, the faucet is installed with the hose pointing down rather than up like mine in the attached photo. Theirs allows the hose to hang nice and straight with less stress on things.

Am I overthinking? Click image for larger version  Name:	20210729_084253_copy_774x1032.jpg Views:	68 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	61828
                    I flipped ours over a while back. Really easy as long as you can access the back side. In our case it is through a removable panel in the bedroom.
                    I did ours mainly so the hose would reach all corners of the shower to aid in rinsing and cleaning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5992.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	38.3 KB ID:	61940
                    -
                    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

From the GD parts photo, looks like everything is symmetrical and a simple flip. I will have to see if my handles are marked blue and red but don't think they are. Click image for larger version

Name:	350203 (Medium).jpg
Views:	721
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	61850
                      Theirs shows colors but well see. Not an earthshaking issue but as flyfshrockies mentioned, I don't want to forget to shut the pump off and have thing flood going down the road. (or course keeping my aux valve off is another checkpoint.)

Thanks all for the thoughts.

​​​​​​​Terry
                      I stand corrected - it appear it can be flipped with a little bit of work - thanks for the information. learned something new - a good thing.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

KamFlyer -- your installation sure "looks" right.

A quick review of shower faucets on Google Images does show, however, that either installation could be correct. There's all kinds of different shower & faucet configurations with a zillion different combinations.

So I guess it's an aesthetics decision (plus the other concerns already documented). In my case deciding what looked "right" would be however the Domestic CC wanted it installed.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I tend to like it in the “upside-down” position. The “facing up position” allows for the maximum hose length for other uses. We have a portable washing machine that we use in the shower. We use the shower hose to fill it. If the hose were in the down-facing position, then it went up through the “eye-bracket” holder that is on the wall, it would be several inches higher when hanging down. That would be just a little short for our needs.
                          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
                          X