Down the drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down the drain?

So, we're new at this and we're wondering what can go down the drain into the grey tank. I purchased a fine screen plug for the sink. Milk left over from cereal? Leftover coffee? Cooking water left over? When we are at full hookups we keep grey tank open. Thanks.

Originally posted by CindyH View Post
    So, we're new at this and we're wondering what can go down the drain into the grey tank. I purchased a fine screen plug for the sink. Milk left over from cereal? Leftover coffee? Cooking water left over? When we are at full hookups we keep grey tank open. Thanks.
    We try to keep as many food chunks and particles from going down the drain. We put our very rare left over coffee down the sink. We don't use milk so that isn't a problem for us. Although my DW uses half and half in her coffee and that goes down the sink.

We do not leave the grey tank open. I believe that in order to get a good flush and wash any solids out you need water in there when you pull the handle. I'd you leave it open it seems to me the solids would stick to the bottom of the tank and the liquid would just trickle out. Leaving it open you also run the risk of sewer gases coming back into the trailer from the park sewer system.

We also started treating our grey tanks with half a pack of the same treatment we use in the black tank. I had to replace the air admittance on our grey tank. And that tank really smelled bad. Worse than the black if I'm honest. So we thought treatment in the grey was warranted.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

CindyH Other than coffee grounds, large chunks of food and oil/grease we treat the grey water the same as in our house. Let the tank fill at least 2/3rds before dumping. Liberal use of dawn dish soap while doing dishes seems to keep things working well, though we have never looked inside the tank and don't intend to. The dawn dish soap seems to be a great degreaser, oder happens.

Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

CindyH I agree with others. Let the grey fill partially then dump especially when on full hookups. I dump my grey tanks last to flush out the plumbing. Since most of I have the twist on gate valve just before the hose, I close it, open the grey letting it back flow into the black, then close the grey and open the hose gate. Doing this a couple of times helps dislodge any solids that may be in the black. Then the las flush is grey through the hose after liberal flushing of the black using the tank flush letting it build 5-7 gallons of water between dumps.

When living in my first camper (TT by another company) after Harvey I was forced to leave the grey as the discharge was too far from the camper and I was using a dedicated garden hose and macerator to empty the tanks. Even then, I would let the grey build when I had to flush the black to help with cleaning out.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by CindyH View Post
          Cindy welcome to the forum
          We just use the normal strainer and what goes through goes through - except grease, That we pore into a used tin can and dispose of in the trash. We save bacon grease for cooking and grilling. I agree do not keep the gray, or black tank valves open. Both need plenty of water to flush properly and hot have piles build up. So keep valves closed until 2/3 full. The dish soap will help keep the gray tanks clean. I also add 1 cup Dawn and 5 gallons of water to start in my black tank. Helps break thing down and prevent the pile from forming.

Hope this helps
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We also keep the grey tank closed... for all the reasons folks mentioned here.
            Plus, after we have flushed the black tank, we use those 2/3 full grey tank to clean the lines.
            Grand Design-Imagine
            2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Comment

If you leave the grey valve open to a connected sewer line all the time, that "pitter patter of little feet" that you hear at night is the sewer rats looking for a warm place to settle in the dry end of your grey tank.

Rob
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-01-2021, 08:55 PM.
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

CindyH Welcome to the family and the forum!

I guess I kinda defy the normal logic. I don't know what you have, but our 390 has a gray tank dedicated to the kitchen sink and we are full time. At home, I leave the kitchen gray open aall of the time, but vermin and odors are not a concern. Any grease is wiped out of the pans before and as flyfshrockies pointed out lots of Dawn. Before any moves, I put a bunch of Dawn down the drain, the fill both sinks with hot water and drain to tank. Then at hook up I drain and then close and do as everyone else sez. To combat the food particle problem at home, twice a week I close the dump valve, wash a bunch of dishes, then refill the sinks with hot water, drain to the tank and then open the dump valve. I know I am a bit different but I have a slightly different circumstances.

When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Cate&Rob That pitter patter would be quite alarming. I do see folks who leave one or both valves open while hooked up and have gently tried to convince them it is a generally poor idea while pointing out the aroma coming from their roof vents . I don't suppose kitty Gracie would volunteer to take the dive and perform removal services?

Dave
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

flyfshrockies
                    Hi Dave,

Another good point on how leaving a gate valve open vents the park sewer system through your RV.

Faced with a sewer rat, Gracie is likely to call for Border Collie backup . . . she has two of those who are always close by .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We do our best not to let anything down the drain except water. We drink quite a bit of orange juice that comes in plastic 1/2 gallon jugs. We rinse them and keep several for our trips. Once on the road, we dump any liquids into the OJ jug and store it in the fridge for the week. At the end of the week, it goes into the dumpster. We also wipe out all of the dishes, pans, etc., prior to washing them. Lastly, we have a screen that goes in the drain that catches just about anything that we’ve missed.

We keep the valves closed until the tanks are nearly full or at least half full and we are ready to head down the road. Then we dump, and it gives a good flow, both for the tank and for the hose, since we dump the gray last. Every couple of tanks, I put in a cup of Calgon and a cup of Dawn, along with about 5 gallons of water, just before we break camp. The drive to the next location gives the tanks a good cleaning.

This is probably more than many do, but I’ve never had an odor problem from the tanks because there isn’t much of anything there to cause odors.
                      Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                      Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                      2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                      Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                      Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

We just use the normal strainer and what goes through goes through - except grease, That we pore into a used tin can and dispose of in the trash. ....
                        On that point, we bought this last year:
                        https://amzn.to/3lnfrna

It's an insulated foil bag, with an airtight container. You can pour the hot grease right into it.

Like it so much, we bought a second one and use it in the house. (Your not supposed to put grease down your drain anywhere really, clogs the plumbing pretty bad)

Works really well. Can attest to the airtightness. I knocked the cover off and didn't notice when we left for the weekend. When we came back, there was a distinct order (not horrible, but not good) wasn't until dinner when we cooked (and disposed of grease) that I noticed the cover was off, and it was the source of the order.

Comes with 3 or 4 refill bags. The one we use in our house has been in constant use since October of 2020, and I'm probably going to change the bag this week if I remember.
                        Mike
                        2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                        X