X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower

Hello
    We have a 2021 Imagine 2400BH. Should we caulk
    where the two piece shower meets near the floor to prevent water and mold from getting between the shower panel and wall?
    thanks for any recommendations

Shilgadiack

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Your question has been discussed at length on this forum and while some have caulked this seam, this is not the intention of how Grand Design builds these trailers. Many of us have left this seam as is for years with no problems. There are ventilation and movement benefits to not connecting the shower walls to the shower pan. See this thread for further discussion https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...all-separation

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Shilgadiack View Post
      Hello
      where the two piece shower meets near the floor to prevent water and mold from getting between the shower panel and wall?
      My take is that although Rob’s input may we’ll be in the “best practice” column, I’ve run across many GD owners who have caulked this area with no reported negative consequences. I’m one of those who uses logic over science in some cases, although that process is not productive in all cases, it’s just the way I roll.

My thought is, the water runs down the wall, across the caulked/sealed section, across the pan, and directly into the drain, exactly where it is intended to go. In the last 2.5 years of using our Imagine what I call 1/2 to 3/4 time, as best as I can tell there is no mold behind the shower wall but even if there was a way to tell, (smell, whatever) no signs have become noticeable.

One additional thought of mine is; why would the design be, to allow the water to flow over a lip and past an opening (which would prevent water but not moisture from reaching the back wall easily) to ensure it travels to the drain without going behind and into the wall when caulking would prevent the exact same problem? While if neither method will eliminate the moisture that the water is supposedly allowed to get to the back wall, it seems that it would much more easily get there when an opening is present and nothing present to prevent its moisture from traveling faster with an opening vrs without the opening.

I recognize that I may be all ‘wet’ 😀, but that’s my take on the whole thing.

Dave
      Last edited by Schiefswret; 08-01-2021, 10:27 AM.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Schiefswret
        Hi Dave,

Absolutely nothing wrong with different perspectives on this forum. In fact, this is encouraged!

My logic is that caulking is just as good at holding water in as it is at holding water out . . . sometimes better! (Perhaps my boating background is showing ) The unsealed overlap is like shingles on a roof . . . the water will continue to flow downhill. If water gets behind the wall, by a plumbing leak or whatever, leaving this seam open is another way for it to get out.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Gotcha Rob. Makes sense, appreciate your response.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Shilgadiack View Post
            Hello
            My trailer was delivered brand new with the seam on the lower part of the shower caulked. I haven't noticed any separation of the caulking. It is starting to discolor so I will be replacing it in the near future.
            Mike & Lisa
            Central Florida
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

My guess is that a cheap(er) caulk was used. I used Flex Seal in the 8 oz White can with the narrow tip on my shower and it has not chipped nor discolored in almost two years.
              If you bought yours new from a dealer it’s a little unusual that is was caulked, unless dealer / retailer did it, but most of them don’t have that much initiative.
              Maybe one of the incredibly experienced RV Wizards (yes a few of them are truly incredible) will chime in.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

A few of the newer units it seems have been commented to have caulk at the base of the wall, but it's those with the roll up curtain door IIRC.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Schiefswret
                  Hi Dave,

Absolutely nothing wrong with different perspectives on this forum. In fact, this is encouraged!

My logic is that caulking is just as good at holding water in as it is at holding water out . . . sometimes better! (Perhaps my boating background is showing ) The unsealed overlap is like shingles on a roof . . . the water will continue to flow downhill. If water gets behind the wall, by a plumbing leak or whatever, leaving this seam open is another way for it to get out.

Rob
                  That was the same position I took, your analogy to shingles. Do you have any idea how tall the inner lip runs up vertically (the lip on the pan that runs up behind the wall panel)?

If I were going to calk I would use Lexel or one of the newer calks that has anti-mold components.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                  X