Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for Increased fresh water capacity

HI!
    Looking for ideas. We have a 2021 Imagine 3250BH and would like to double the freshwater capacity from 50 to 100 gal. Same as most of the toy haulers have the luxury of having. Yes, I know water is heavy and I will have to be careful not to exceed the weight ratings of the trailer especially while on the road. If possible and safe to do so, I don't mind keeping the added weight forward towards the tongue, my 1-ton trucks don't mind the extra weight. I always travel with the tank full, however, if it was cutting it too close I would consider draining it to 3/4 or 1/2 before hitting the road. If I can't figure it out I am actually considering trading it in for a toy hauler.

I have the 100 gallon toy hauler but I've thought about this as well. With a 1 ton you have the payload to put a large water tank in the bed of your truck. You could transfer that to the trailer....I know it's extra steps and takes space in the truck bed, but it's an option
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Bahrs8

First--welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owners' Forum. Should you desire to learn more about how this forum ticks, please check out the Welcome Letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The obvious answer is to carry a collapsible tank in the truck bed and pump the water into the existing tank as it is used. There's a recent thread on external pumps for this very purpose, one of which is highlighted here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...water-or-spare

I would not try this, but if you're determined to try the only option I can see for onboard addition of water capacity is adding a tank in the storage area under the bed. From the reference I have access to view it appears the OEM water tank is directly underneath. The two tanks could be plumbed together somehow or some other clever solution. But that's crazy talk from a guy that thinks too much--again, I wouldn't do it.

If you do trade in your (new) 3250BH for a (GD) toy hauler, you'll make Mr. Don Clark very happy. (He's the GD CEO.)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the welcome & all the good idea's so far... the main reason I would like it on the trailer is that I sometimes (not always) use my Excursion to tow instead of my pickups... For safety reasons, I don't want 50 gals of water inside! I like the under-the-bed idea, but we currently use that for storage and an air compressor. If it would somehow spring a leak, that would be a mess. Not a deal-breaker since I don't currently use my unit once they put salt on the roads in WI, but water on the truck would not be protected in freezing temps without adding heaters ect. If there was a good time to trade in a new camper that was only used for a few months, I was kind of thinking now would be the time since there seems to be a shortage of campers and an abundance of buyers in our area.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahrs8 View Post
          Thanks for the welcome & all the good idea's so far... the main reason I would like it on the trailer is that I sometimes (not always) use my Excursion to tow instead of my pickups... For safety reasons, I don't want 50 gals of water inside! I like the under-the-bed idea, but we currently use that for storage and an air compressor. If it would somehow spring a leak, that would be a mess. Not a deal-breaker since I don't currently use my unit once they put salt on the roads in WI, but water on the truck would not be protected in freezing temps without adding heaters ect. If there was a good time to trade in a new camper that was only used for a few months, I was kind of thinking now would be the time since there seems to be a shortage of campers and an abundance of buyers in our area.
          Sounds like water capacity is a deal breaker for you so this would be as good a time as any to trade-up. I usually carry 15-20 gallons (1/3) of fresh water when I travel. We were going to some campgrounds that did not have water at the site. So the day before the first one I filled the tank to 2/3 (30 gallons). I took all of 50 miles before I pulled over and drained the extra water. I made the rear of my truck a little squirrely. It wasn't much extra weight but it certainly put it over the comfort level for handling.

I would go with a collapsible bladder tank. If you have the excursion you could find a water source to go to to fill it up.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

HI!
            Looking for ideas. We have a 2021 Imagine 3250BH and would like to double the freshwater capacity from 50 to 100 gal. Same as most of the toy haulers have the luxury of having. Yes, I know water is heavy and I will have to be careful not to exceed the weight ratings of the trailer especially while on the road. If possible and safe to do so, I don't mind keeping the added weight forward towards the tongue, my 1-ton trucks don't mind the extra weight. I always travel with the tank full, however, if it was cutting it too close I would consider draining it to 3/4 or 1/2 before hitting the road. If I can't figure it out I am actually considering trading it in for a toy hauler.
            Could you have someone build you a tank on the tong and mount the battery on top of it. You can probably shift the propane tanks forward a bit too.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yes, water capacity is important to me. This is our first camper and unfortunately, I didn't put much thought into it until after we used it. The blatter idea is great but I will need to find a way to protect it from getting punctured by bikes, kayaks, firewood, generator, and anything else you could imagine a wife and kids would toss in on top of it. There is potentially a secondary problem that could be addressed. I have experienced it and have also been reading about on other forum/threads. when filled full there is quite a bit that can be lost thru possible siphoning thru the overflow tube during travel. I have never actually measured how much, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have lost 10-20 gallons during travel.
              You mentioned your 3500 being squirrely with 30 gallons of water onboard the trailer... my 2 cents > Unless something is "wrong" you should have no problem at full GVW with a 1-ton truck. I currently have the Blue ox with 1,500lb bars and it's very good at weight transfer, and fairly good at sway reduction. I also have a brand new Hensley still in the box that I plan to install when I get time. I checked mine on a scale and between the weight transfer from the hitch and the cargo in the bed of the truck I can easily add 2,000lbs on the truck and the truck loves it. I fee the key is to maintain at minimum close to the same weight on the steer axle as when the truck is empty. If you haven't already you won't regret the extra time spent... Go to a truck stop scale and check just your truck empty with no trailer then next time you head out fully loaded check it again. I am willing to bet you are taking weight off of your steer axle and need to transfer more back on. The blue ox will be for sale after I install the Hensley.

Comment

Tank on the tongue and relocate batteries is a great idea. Perhaps it could be mounted just barely high enough to tie them together and gravity fill the main tank. There is room to move the LP tanks forward, I noticed that when I was sizing up the space to make room for two big 6-volt batteries.

Comment

Bahrs8 Water management is always an issue. If you are boon docking and running low on water, you are probably close on your holing tanks also. There is also the option to get a bladder instead of a tank that eats up space all of the time. With the bladder, you can put it in the truck or the excursion and make a trip out to fill it if needed. Just recently on a youtube channel in a toter home, they sprung a leak in the onboard water tank and the mess it made was quite impressive. Slow leaks are the worst.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

We're going to be doing some extensive boondocking this upcoming fall and winter. We elected to purchase a portable container to put in the back of the truck to give us another 50 gallons if needed. If anything, we can head into town and replenish our water. Since the container we purchased has a hose bib, we can connect between the container and the trailer and transfer the water to the RV tank.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes, water capacity is important to me. This is our first camper and unfortunately, I didn't put much thought into it until after we used it. The blatter idea is great but I will need to find a way to protect it from getting punctured by bikes, kayaks, firewood, generator, and anything else you could imagine a wife and kids would toss in on top of it. There is potentially a secondary problem that could be addressed. I have experienced it and have also been reading about on other forum/threads. when filled full there is quite a bit that can be lost thru possible siphoning thru the overflow tube during travel. I have never actually measured how much, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have lost 10-20 gallons during travel.
                      You mentioned your 3500 being squirrely with 30 gallons of water onboard the trailer... my 2 cents > Unless something is "wrong" you should have no problem at full GVW with a 1-ton truck. I currently have the Blue ox with 1,500lb bars and it's very good at weight transfer, and fairly good at sway reduction. I also have a brand new Hensley still in the box that I plan to install when I get time. I checked mine on a scale and between the weight transfer from the hitch and the cargo in the bed of the truck I can easily add 2,000lbs on the truck and the truck loves it. I fee the key is to maintain at minimum close to the same weight on the steer axle as when the truck is empty. If you haven't already you won't regret the extra time spent... Go to a truck stop scale and check just your truck empty with no trailer then next time you head out fully loaded check it again. I am willing to bet you are taking weight off of your steer axle and need to transfer more back on. The blue ox will be for sale after I install the Hensley.
                      I get it. One of the reasons we got a toy hauler. If that's a super big deal, you may want to seriously consider trading for something that makes you more comfortable.

A couple possible suggestions, look at the Momentum 29G. It is heavier, but has a separate garage in the back that can be the "bunk room". You can also get an onboard generator that is fueled by a 30 gallon gas tank....and you have the 100 gallon fresh water tank. It is also about 1 foot taller and 6" wider...I love the extra height in them. Although the bathroom does not have a lot of storage and your exterior storage is very minimal. We have the 21G and will be doing a few projects over the next 6 months to increase exterior storage...will post for anybody interested.

Another option is (Grand Design people, close your eyes) to look at Outdoor RV's Backcountry series. The 28DBS has a bunk area (not bunk room) but has 100 gallon fresh, 80 gallon grey and 40 gallon black tank. It also comes with an Onan 3600W onboard generator, 170W solar panel and are built very well....but they are not cheap and are heavy.
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

If I trade in I will most likely stick with Grand Design, (acoleman43) you suggested exactly the one that I was already looking at and really like (Momentum 29G) I don't mind the weight. There is one that caught my eye at a neighbors campsite recently.... The Desert Fox 27FS... Less room, but I kind of like the fact that there are no slideouts to "worry about"

For boondocking/holding tank capacity, the 3250BH has quite a bit more holing tank capacity than freshwater supply...
                        52 Gal
                        90 Gal
                        45 Gal
                        thanks for all the good ideas so far

Comment

3250bh is:
                          52 fresh
                          90 grey (two tanks 45 kitchen + 45 Shower)
                          45 black

Comment

HI!
                            How much space do you have on your rear or center roof? In the horse community many folks have aluminum hay racks up top. There are dozens of configurations and with options such as this
                            https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....yABEgL-vvD_BwE

I have also seen folks put collapsible water bladders in them. On the roof it would be gravity feed to refill your main tank. Cargo carries are another possibility to put a tank in. I am pretty sure the roof can take the weight being walk on - just spread the mounting points out.
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If I trade in I will most likely stick with Grand Design, (acoleman43) you suggested exactly the one that I was already looking at and really like (Momentum 29G) I don't mind the weight. There is one that caught my eye at a neighbors campsite recently.... The Desert Fox 27FS... Less room, but I kind of like the fact that there are no slideouts to "worry about"

For boondocking/holding tank capacity, the 3250BH has quite a bit more holing tank capacity than freshwater supply...
                              52 Gal
                              90 Gal
                              45 Gal
                              thanks for all the good ideas so far
                              THe Desert Fox is made by the same people who own Outdoors RV (Northwood). If you like the Desert Fox, look at the OUtdoors RV Trail series (specifically the TRX29). THey have an incredible amount of interior storage, come with an onboard generator (Onan 4000), onboard pressure washer, onboard air compressor, 100 gallon fresh tank. it is almost 10000# empty with a tongue weight of about 1600#. It is heavy but a very nice trailer.
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                              X