Grey Tank Lever Seized??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Tank Lever Seized??

Labor day weekend draining tanks, Grey #2 valve seized/handle stuck. I go Black first with flush, once that is pretty much clear I hit Grey #1 to push kitchen sink water down, then go Grey #2 to have shower/bathroom sink clean out hose. Got everything drained and go to pull Grey #2 and its NO GO. Stuck. I hit it with WD40 thinking maybe the shaft had gotten stuck but there was no budging this thing.

ANYone have home remedy tips before I have to get the mobile repair/dealer service involved. Luckily were were at Carolina Pines in SC and they have very well appointed amenities so we only had maybe 10gals in there.

Ive got a 2021 Imagine 2400BH. Thanks in advance!
    2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
    2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Originally posted by GrandDeal3 View Post
    Labor day weekend draining tanks, Grey #2 valve seized/handle stuck. I go Black first with flush, once that is pretty much clear I hit Grey #1 to push kitchen sink water down, then go Grey #2 to have shower/bathroom sink clean out hose. Got everything drained and go to pull Grey #2 and its NO GO. Stuck. I hit it with WD40 thinking maybe the shaft had gotten stuck but there was no budging this thing.

ANYone have home remedy tips before I have to get the mobile repair/dealer service involved. Luckily were were at Carolina Pines in SC and they have very well appointed amenities so we only had maybe 10gals in there.

Ive got a 2021 Imagine 2400BH. Thanks in advance!
    I would think its probably the gate itself that is stuck. You need to pull the valve apart and see if you can get it broken free, or replace it if its damaged. You are lucky its only the grey lol. Sometimes the piece from cutting the holes gets dropped in the tank at the factory, and it eventually gets lodged against the valve.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

This gate valve is likely seized at one end or the other. The inner pull cable is a loose fit in the outer sheath between the two ends and is seldom the problem. To determine if the problem is at the handle end, try rotating the handle a few degrees in either direction. If it turns, the problem is at the gate valve end. If the handle will not rotate slightly, lubricating this end should help.

If the gate valve itself is seized, this gets more complex because you are going to have to gain access to it. Although it sounds more "complex" to drop the underbelly coroplast rather than cut a hole in it . . . dropping the coroplast always ends up to be the better choice. This will provide compete access to the gate valve(s) and cable routing. The cut hole is seldom in the ideal location and is difficult to keep closed even with the various tape and zipper solutions.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        This gate valve is likely seized at one end or the other. The inner pull cable is a loose fit in the outer sheath between the two ends and is seldom the problem. To determine if the problem is at the handle end, try rotating the handle a few degrees in either direction. If it turns, the problem is at the gate valve end. If the handle will not rotate slightly, lubricating this end should help.

Rob
        Ill try some more WD40 and a pair of plyers to rotate the handle shaft as it is threaded on. If no go there I had read that a potential vapor lock could have occurred as well. I will look at the simplest and then bring it back to the house for a more intense investigation before our next outing in October.
        2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things

Comment

Ill try some more WD40 and a pair of plyers to rotate the handle shaft as it is threaded on. If no go there I had read that a potential vapor lock could have occurred as well. I will look at the simplest and then bring it back to the house for a more intense investigation before our next outing in October.
          It won't twist a lot, I wouldn't think you'd need pliers. You should be able to just grab the handle and spin it a little in your hand. Certainly worth checking, but the issue is almost always at the tank end unfortunately.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Thanks. I was hoping for an easier fix but I can set a time to bring it over to the house and drop the cloroplast and get to work on the under belly. Any tips on ways to keep the current grey water from going everywhere?

Comment

ncitro Thanks. I was hoping for an easier fix but I can set a time to bring it over to the house and drop the cloroplast and get to work on the under belly. Any tips on ways to keep the current grey water from going everywhere?
              It should be contained in the tank, or do you mean its backed up into the shower and splashing over the sides? If the latter, I would scoop out what I can and dump it in the toilet, then sop up the rest with towels.

Neil Citro

Comment

GrandDeal3 -- my kitchen gray also froze (again). Thankfully (?) it's stuck open, so I'm using an external Valterra until I get time to fix it.

To read all the lessons I learned last time around, check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...valves-315rlts

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

While I have not tried this yet it was over at IRV2. Remove handle and thread a 2' to 3' section of clear hose on the screw threads by the handle stub. While holding the hose high spray in WD40 or another spray lube such an BP Blaster. Get a good amount in the hose and let is soak onto the cable. Some comments said to pressurize the hose to get to to flow up and around any bends. I plan to do this for winter maintenance.

Just something to try.

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Interesting Yoda for a PM on these cable systems that are subject to lots of road and environmental grime. howson I will review over this and hopefully it is not as precariously designed as your was. I will post an update after I get a chance to fiddle with it this weekend. Next trip is 1month away and need to get it in working order.

Luckily there was very little in that tank. Doesn't even register over 1/3 full on the control panel.

Comment

Interesting Yoda for a PM on these cable systems that are subject to lots of road and environmental grime. howson I will review over this and hopefully it is not as precariously designed as your was. I will post an update after I get a chance to fiddle with it this weekend. Next trip is 1month away and need to get it in working order.

Luckily there was very little in that tank. Doesn't even register over 1/3 full on the control panel.
                      If you do pull the coroplast down to dig into it, I'd suggest looking at the valve manual regarding maximum bend of the cables. When my rig was new my black valve leaked and I had to replace it. I took the opportunity to shorten the cables and clean up the routing and they worked a lot better.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

If the gate valve itself is seized, this gets more complex because you are going to have to gain access to it. Although it sounds more "complex" to drop the underbelly coroplast rather than cut a hole in it . . . dropping the coroplast always ends up to be the better choice. This will provide compete access to the gate valve(s) and cable routing. The cut hole is seldom in the ideal location and is difficult to keep closed even with the various tape and zipper solutions.

Rob
                        The problem with generalities is that their generally not completely true. Not trying to pick a fight, just want to point out what may be exceptions to your statements

After 3+ years of full timing I have not have problems with my valves. I do exercise them more often than those who use their trailer for only three or four months out of the year so that may have something to do with it. I have, however, had trouble with the cable pulls at the T-handle end. These need to be kept dry, clean, and lubricated. I have replaced the cable to my grey tank due to poor routing as ncitro noted in post #11, and am looking at replacing the cable to black tank 2 because of rust and corrosion at T-handle end which gets a lot of spray from the tires (Didn't follow my own advice).

I don't carry jacks, 2x4's or large clamps to facilitate putting the corplastic back after dropping it and after helping the last time SWMBO said that was the last time. So for me the access panel I cut into the corplastic (https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-drain-valves) is much better than dropping the corplastic. Not saying that the access is perfect (I'm and retired engineer and just can't stop thinking of ways to make things better), just saying that it's better than dropping the corplasitc.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post

The problem with generalities is that their generally not completely true. Not trying to pick a fight, just want to point out what may be exceptions to your statements
                          Hi John,

It is difficult to "pick a fight" on this forum . . . counter opinions and different perspectives are a cornerstone of how we operate. Other ideas are always welcome!

My original advice (which I may not have been very clear on) was to try a small twisting action on the T-handle end to determine if the shaft directly behind the handle was seized. If the handle moves in the twisting action, it is not likely seized in the pulling direction. This then points to the gate valve itself as being the problem since the pull cable is a loose fit in the sheath (unlike a brake cable that some may be familiar with and where lubricating the entire length of the cable will help)

Many have cut openings in the coroplast and then closed and sealed these. My experience (in replacing all three gate valves) is that you will need wider access than you can get through a small opening. A gate valve is sandwiched between the flange on the tank and the flange on the drain manifold. To get a gate valve out, it is usually necessary to loosen the other gate valves to get some "play" in the manifold, or to be able to shift the tank slightly away from the manifold. Either action will require more access than through a cut hole in the coroplast. Re-routing the pull cables will also require wider access.

When I replaced my gate valves, I also re-routed the pull cables following the cable manufacturer's instructions. This involved clamping the cable so that it was straight in/out of both the pull handle location and at the gate valve end. They also have specific minimum bend radius requirements. Neither of these specifications were followed on the original installation. I have heard of others shortening a cable to achieve smoother operation, but I actually purchased a longer cable for one valve to get the recommended bend radius. All of my replacement valves and pull cables have been working fine for several years.

For raising the coroplast back into place, I use a crosswise 2x4 lifted at its centre with a rolling floor jack. Easing this along as I do up the fasteners on both sides has worked well. Of course . . . I also installed opening "bomb bay" doors for access to the underside of my Reflection 5th wheel . . . but, that is a whole other story.

Good discussion! (BTW . . . retired engineer here too . . . always looking for ways to improve things is the curse of our profession)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob,
                            Your statement of the Bombay doors caught my attention. Is there a post on this, or perhaps you can elaborate? Sounds interesting, and the engineer in me kicked in too.
                            Tony G
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                            2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                            KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
                              Hi Rob,
                              Your statement of the Bombay doors caught my attention. Is there a post on this, or perhaps you can elaborate? Sounds interesting, and the engineer in me kicked in too.
                              Hi Tony,

Not wanting to take this thread off course . . . see the attachment to post #1 of this thread on the complete modification and rebuild of the plumbing systems on my 303RLS (which is very similar to yours)
                              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lection-303rls If you have any questions or would like more pictures, tag me in that thread.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X