Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic drain plug

Hey guys .
    where can I find a spare drain plug in Canada preferably for a Dometic WH-6GEA? Did ty my friend Google but nothing so far. Trying to resolve a very slow annoying dripping.

any replacement is also fine by me.

Originally posted by Gleourdais View Post
    Hey guys .
    where can I find a spare drain plug in Canada preferably for a Dometic WH-6GEA? Did ty my friend Google but nothing so far. Trying to resolve a very slow annoying dripping.

any replacement is also fine by me.
    Assuming it's the same 1/2" NPT plug used on the Dometic table heater I have, Canadian Tire or Princess Auto should have them. They'll be the RV specific ones, which will mean they have a bit of a premium price. I've heard that hardware stores like Home Depot will have them too, they just won't be listed as RV specific. Really it doesn't matter as long as the material is compatible and the threads are the right size.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Gleourdais You can replace the plastic with a brass or aluminum one. This also lets you get it a touch tighter as it will not round the corners off.

On both of my previous units, I chose to replace the plastic plug with a ball valve. This allows tool less draining of the tank. In my case, it was almost impossible to get an appropriate sized socket in there to pull the plug due to the angle of the plug.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Gleourdais You can replace the plastic with a brass or aluminum one.
        Joseph, I seem to recall a number of posts here and elsewhere over the years that different metals "do not play well together" causing various types of metal corrosion, adverse chemical reactions, etc. thus the need to use the plastic plug. For those folks who have installed some other type metal, a plastic collar was used between the aluminum tank and plug like a non aluminum pet****, or similar.

You being an engineer certainly know your stuff and maybe I am recalling incorrectly or there is more to the story ?

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

The temperature/pressure relief valve is brass and doesn't present a dissimilar metal problem.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Canyonlight Dan I think yo are referring to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ter-drain-plug post #5. I do not know if the HWH in a camper is AL or Steel. However, as Tob states, most Watts Valves (T&P valve) are brass and it's screwed into the top of the same tank as the drain, but they recommend a plastic plug. Also you should be using a thread sealing tape to prevent leaks which will also help to insulate the materials from each other like a plastic nipple.

This seems more of the mentality of "do what I say not what I do" from the HWH Mfg.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

It may be a mfg. cya advice. 'Maybe the customer will not tighten a plastic plug as tight as a brass plug or ruin the threads.' Although plastic will conform to the threads more easily than brass.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks, Joseph Jlawles2 and Ted TedS - appreciate the feedback.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Just to jump in here, as I recall the Atwood/Dometic water heaters are aluminum and the Suburban is steel (this is why suburban uses an anode rod).
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X