Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nautilus Settings Change w/Tankless Water Heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus Settings Change w/Tankless Water Heater?

Apologies if this has been covered - I did a quick scan of the topics and didn't see it. Just brought my 2022 Reflection 340RDS home. I was happy to see the Furrion tankless water heater installed. After reviewing the plumbing diagrams for the Nautilus, the red valve is clearly the water heater bypass valve. To winterize the tankless heater, you should obviously NOT bypass it. The "standard" instructions on the P1 are for a tank-based water heater (you would drain the tank and then bypass it for winterizing). Just looking for some confirmation that I am looking at this correctly. I didn't (yet) do a deep dive in the Owner's Manual so it may be covered there. If people follow the Nautilus instructions exactly and they have a tankless heater they will have a mess on their hands in the spring.
    Mark & Jennifer
    2022 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax

MarkB
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

You may quite likely not find any reference to the tankless water heater in you Grand Design owners manual. With the many component changes caused by supply shortages, these last minute revisions have not been incorporated into the owners manuals. Not to say that this is OK . . . it just is-what-it-is.

There are two "theories" on antifreeze and water heaters. Some believe that antifreeze should be kept out of a water heater and some believe that it is better to put a small amount of antifreeze into an empty water heater. An "empty" (tank style) water heater is never completely empty of water. I would suggest that you follow the Furrion information for winterizing the water heater that came with this appliance. Once you have the water heater drained . . . or drained and refilled with antifreeze . . . or drained, filled with antifreeze and drained again . . . putting the Nautilus valve in the water heater bypass position will allow you to use or winterize the rest of the water system without affecting the water heater.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

MarkB To expand a bit more, since the Furrion tankless water heater requires winterization before the rest of the rig (39 degrees and below), you'd need to use the bypass valve in order to winterize the water heater and still have water in your rig if camping in those conditions.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Update: The Furrion owner's manual says to EITHER blow out the unit OR fill it with anti-freeze to winterize. The GD owner's manual has the exact same text (direct copy/paste). So, my original concern is valid. The instructions on the Nautilus panel have you bypass the water heater to winterize. This is going to present some problems for people who don't understand what they are doing and just blindly follow the instructions. They will leave water in the tankless water heater lines and will have a mess on their hands come spring. Also, per ncitro's comment above, there really isn't a straightforward way to JUST winterize the water heater.
        Mark & Jennifer
        2022 Reflection 340RDS
        2022 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Is the Nautilus plumbed to bypass the tankless water heater?
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            Is the Nautilus plumbed to bypass the tankless water heater?
            The Nautilus panel bypasses the water heater by switching the supply to the water heater to the output of the water heater. This system counts on the water heater outflow check valve to prevent back flow into the water heater. I mention this because these check valves are notorious for failing . . . I would not trust that this check valve had kept water out of the water heater.

I am not familiar with the tankless water heater, but if it has a drain plug, it could be bypassed using the Nautilus valve and then drained using its drain plug. This might be sufficient for using the trailer in shoulder seasons without hot water, but for winter storage I would still use winterizing the water system with antifreeze to also winterize the water heater with antifreeze.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

But it is tankless. No tank. What is there to drain?
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                But it is tankless. No tank. What is there to drain?
                There are still tubes full of water. The same tubes that Furrion claims must be drained below 39F to prevent freeze damage.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here are some pics of the inner workings of the tankless heater,
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	65946

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	65947

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	65948

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

From what I read on the tankless Furrion, there is a heat exchanger and a mixing chamber that would be of concern.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

IM-FHA00046_V1.0_Multi-v1579835638826.pdf

Here is the Furrion manual. It describes installation, use, and winterization. It shows optional bypass plumbing. Is the Nautilus panel plumbed to bypass the water heater?
                      Attached Files
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                      X