Shower Drains into Bathroom Sink - 2021 Solitude 378MBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Drains into Bathroom Sink - 2021 Solitude 378MBS

After the shower runs for a few minutes (when grey tank is closed), water will begin to gurgle in the bathroom sink drain pipe then begin acting like a volcano until it erupts and explodes all over the bathroom. It is like something out of the twilight zone. I have spoke to multiple repair people and the dealership and GD, they all just reply - your grey tank is full. First off, I preface every contact with MY GREY TANK IS NOT FULL, I JUST EMPTIED IT AND CLOSED THE VALVE. Secondly, why in the world would water come up into the sink and blow all over the bathroom if the tank was actually full. Why wouldn't it just back up into the shower like my old rig? Also, the smell that comes with this eruption will knock your socks off!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! A few people have said it's a venting issue but what does that even mean? Roof vent? We did change the AAV thinking that would help with the awful odors we have all the time. Did not help!

tnelsonrocktx Not familiar with your rig. Only thought I have is are both grey tanks empty?
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I can only guess the sink is tied to the vent pipe and somehow the vent pipe is plugged above that connection, so as water is added to the tank the air needs to go somewhere and right now that is the sink piping. What you describe is exactly what would happen as air pressure overcomes the water in the P-trap. Check your roof vent to make sure is id not plugged. I had a wasp nest in mine. You can also run a sewer snake down if if you don't find the plug up top. It could be possible they forgot to remove the test plug from the pipe too - again it would be an internal plug in the very top of the pipe on the roof.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks so much Yoda . This makes perfect sense. My husband went on the roof awhile back and looked at the roof vents. He said there so much sealant around them he was reluctant to touch them. I'm assuming the vent caps come off. We will check out some videos and take them off this weekend. Praying this is the issue. I am shocked that no one else could tell us to try this. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again for the advice!

Comment

Another issue could be that the vent pipe is inserted too far into the tank, clear to the bottom maybe. This will be a little harder to determine and probably need some exploring in the area of the pass thru where the pipes meet the tanks. I would try Keith's suggestion first. The vent caps just have a screw in them to hold in place, remove the screw and pop the cap off, check all vents that you would have.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Few RVs have roof vents for grey tanks. The AAV takes the place of the vent. I’d suggest running the shower with the AAV removed to see how it behaves.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I second (or third) the suggestion of the roof vent. If it has always done this since day one I would lean more to what Brian suggested, or worse yet that the vent pipe was never connected to the tank at the factory.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                Few RVs have roof vents for grey tanks. The AAV takes the place of the vent. I’d suggest running the shower with the AAV removed to see how it behaves.
                tnelsonrocktx After looking at the floor plan, John could be very correct. Look under your sink for a pipe with a big round fitting screwed to the top. It will be high just under the sink. Just unscrew to remove. If it is bad (sealed closed) you would have the same symptoms. Look there first before going to the roof again. BTW the roof vent cap should pull straight up = do not twist. Mine did not have a screw from the factory, but I added one.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

This is definitely a missing/blocked tank vent pipe (for any of the reasons previously suggested).
                  This is not the AAV (Air Admittance Valve) under the vanity beside the sink that lets air in . . . it does not let air out.
                  What's happening is that as water from the shower goes into the tank, the displaced air in the tank is looking for a way to get out. Without an open vent stack, it pushes the water back up through the sink drain.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The AAV is there only to aid the sink drain. The AAV opens to admit air as the sink drains,, then it closes to keep odors from the bathroom. The grey tank should be vented, either with its own vent or tied to a common vent. The water draining from the shower goes into the tank. If the tank cannot vent, an air bubble is squeezed until the pressure overcomes the water seal in the sink p-trap. Thus the volcano gush. There is vent blockage somewhere between the tank and the vent connection. I am assuming the toilet does not burp when being flushed. That would indicate the main vent is open. Maybe the grey vent tube dropped down into the grey tank closing it off.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thank you everyone for your posts. You guys are amazing! I agree on the vent pipe. All along we felt it was a venting issue. Thank goodness we have it somewhere we can leave the grey tank open. This past weekend my husband checked the pipes as well as he could. We have two black ones and a white one. He was able to remove the black caps. He could feel cool air coming from them. He only had something that was about 5 ft long to put down in there and they were clear to that point. The white vent which I feel is the grey tank vent has a small slotted opening on one side. He could feel cool air coming from it too but it had so much sealant around it there was no way he was getting the cap off. I am debating to remove the sealant and pop the cap off. I'm not sure that would even get us anywhere if the issue may be where it meets the tank. Sounds like a mobile repair tech may be in order AGAIN. So frustrating this new, very expensive RV with all it's issues.

Comment

The white cap is the "attic" vent. It is small, but there is an air gap between the outside roof and the inside ceiling,
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

tnelsonrocktx

The forward grey tank vent and drain lines are usually visible in the plumbing area to the rear of the pass through storage. Remove that wall (only a few screws . . . square head Robertson screwdriver) and you should be able to trace the the bathroom sink and shower drains to that tank. Sometimes the vent stack is a separate pipe into this tank . . . sometimes it is the same pipe as the drains. Post some pictures of what you find and we may be able to help you further. Attached picture from my Reflection 5th wheel will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Rob
                          Attached Files
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Mystery solved! The shower drain pipe which shares the vent pipe was installed with an upward slope. So after the shower ran for a few minutes it would backfill and not allow any air to escape so the only other place was to travel to the sink drain and ultimately become Mt. Saint Helen. My repair guy did not heed my warning and ended up wearing this mixture. He has been doing this a very long time and said this was a first for him. He cut the pipe and worked some magic. Ran the shower and sink for 15-20 minutes with the tank closed and it worked like a charm. I am hoping this is a one off for Grand Design's "not-so grand design". I'm still not happy that the dealer nor GD's service department could even come up with it is a "venting" issue. All they could ever reply was that your tank was full even after I prefaced ever convo with my tanks are EMPTY! I so appreciate everyone's input and help! You guys ROCK!

Comment

tnelsonrocktx Glad we could help get you on the right track! Sorry your dealer and GD experience did not measure up, but at least you are up and running!
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X