Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend shower door latch mod

Transcend shower door latch

Grand Design doesn’t have a very grand design on the latch for the Transcend retractable shower door. The slighted bump caused the door to rapidly retract. Here’s what I came up with. Works great.

MATERIALS:
    • Two 10lb picture hanger hooks (Hillman 122266 from Lowes)
    • Two #4-40 x 3/8” round slotted brass screws (Hillman 491430 from Lowes)
    • Two #4-40 brass hex nuts (Hillman 491434 from Lowes)
    • 1/8” drill bit
    • 5/32” drill bit
    • Flat blade screwdriver
    • 1/4” nut driver
    • Side grinder

INSTRUCTIONS:
    I took two 10 lb. picture hanger hooks and ground off the tube looking part where the nail goes through. Photos 1-2.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 2.png Views:	0 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	65984Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 3.png Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	65985

I drilled two 1/8” holes in the shower door, one above and one below the handle. I installed a picture hanger in each hole using #4-40 brass machine screws and nuts. I mounted the hook on the inside of the shower door with the hook facing outward. Use Loctite on the nuts. Photo 3.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 4.png Views:	0 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	65986

I closed the shower door and used the picture hook to scratch a small mark where the hook would go through the frame and drilled two 5/32” holes in the frame, one for each hook. Photo 4.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 5.png Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	65987

Photos 5 & 6 show the finished project with the shower door open and closed. The whole project took less than 20 minutes. I probably need to take my Dremmel tool and cut off the excess screw length, but I did this right before leaving on a camping trip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 6.png Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	65988Click image for larger version  Name:	Shower door - 7.png Views:	0 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	65989
    David
    2022 GD Imagine 2910BH
    2018 Ford F-150 Platinum FX4 w/max tow package

Nice Mod, thanks for posting. Interesting that yours opens so easily, we have the opposite problem in that it's difficult to unhook sometimes. Does your shower door leak at the bottom? Ours does, so if yours doesn't, I guess we truely do have opposite issues
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Nice mod. We don't have a problem with the latch as long as we pay attention. I may look into when I can. Thanks.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
        Nice Mod, thanks for posting. Interesting that yours opens so easily, we have the opposite problem in that it's difficult to unhook sometimes. Does your shower door leak at the bottom? Ours does, so if yours doesn't, I guess we truely do have opposite issues
        I haven’t notice any issues with leaking at the bottom.
        David
        2022 GD Imagine 2910BH

Comment

We picked up our 2022 Transcend 200MK at the end of August. It had just arrived at the SoCal dealer from the factory, build date 08-21. My wife noticed the shower door defect immediately, and pointed it out to the dealer shop guy. We picked up the trailer a week later, the shower door was still not fixed, so we got to kind of watch the tech do the fix. We were impressed with how many trips back and forth to his shop he had to make to get this and that little part. Basically, he put a strip of wood-like trim behind the catch end to strengthen it and make it stand a little further out from the wall. His fix works perfectly.

We've been out a couple of times for troubleshooting trips, getting ready for a longer early fall trip to UT. So far love the trailer.
          Ruth and Patrick
          2022 Transcend 200MK
          2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
            My shower door does not leak at the bottom.
            David
            2022 GD Imagine 2910BH

Comment

zibberfitchy , nice mod, thanks for posting. Our 2022 2500RL's shower door latch simply cannot be made to hold. I like your hook concept.
              Ottertail, Minnesota
              2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
              2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Just took our new Imagine out for the first night out. The retractable shower door stayed latched for maybe 5 minutes for my wife. It would not relatch. I held it closed with my finger tips for the remainder of her shower. She had to do the same for me the entire shower. Now I have a brand new TT that I cannot shower in without help or wetting the entire camper

I had a Reflection fifth wheeler for 6 years that never once had to go in the shop. I have always spoken highly of GD. Now I am not so sure of their commitment to quality just higher profits. Guess they just want to be a Forest River look alike.

Comment

Working...
                X