Winterize blow lines with air or use rv antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterize blow lines with air or use rv antifreeze

How many folks just blow there lines out and add antifreeze to there traps? We like to late fall camp and wondering in between trips if I just blow the lines out I will be safe. Im only talking about end of Oct and we live in Iowa, temps then can dip below freezing here and there. The other question do the make an adaptor to hook up to fresh water with and air fitting so I can use my air compressor?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66 I recall someone (I think Cate&Rob )did some testing and after he blew out his lines he pumped in antifreeze and was surprised how much water came out before he got pink at his faucets. I am lucky enough to store inside so I do not winterize any more, but always did it with antifreeze before, and based on that would not rely only on blowing out. Antifreeze is pretty cheap, if you are getting a cold snap I would use it and rewinterize if you take it out. Your other option if it is going to just be a snap would be to run the heat overnight for that night if you have access to power where you store it.

To your question about a air fitting for the hose, I made my own for blowing out garden hoses, but they do make them:

https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...a-570131678618
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

thanks, I know my dealer said if it dips below freezing for a few hours a night not to really worry its when you get a few days in a row, he said with lines up in the coach it really does not effect as if it was in the open. I know in spring I camped and dropped it off at dealer thats were we store it and they blew them out because we had a couple days at night it dipped below 32.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I do both air and antifreeze when I winterize our trailer. First use compressed air to get most of the water out, then the standard procedure of running antifreeze using the winter bypass on the pump. I've also switched to thepropylene glycol antifreeze as opposed to the ethanol stuff. I've read that it keeps the seals in the fittings from drying out.

To use your air compressor at home, you can buy an adapter like this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002XL2IEA/...NC1ND77VWH24EJ
        To make the process a little easier, I connected together a ball valve, regulator with pressure gauge, and filter that can connect to the blow out plug. The vale allows me to turn the air on and off at the trailer, the regulator to control the pressure, and a filter to catch any debris in the air line that maybe coming from the compressor. I've read too that you should use an oilless compressor to avoid getting oil in your water line. I only have an oil 20gal system, again which is the reason for the filter.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Air vs Antifreeze: (This will be a repeat of what I have posted before . . . and is only my opinion based on my experience)

Air:
          When I completely rebuilt my plumbing system, I extensively blew out the lines with air before disassembly. I was amazed at how much water was left in the system. There are others on this forum who have described a similar experience. Once a line is only partially filled with water, the air takes the path of least resistance and travels over the top of the water laying in the line. Many owners get away with just air because the lines will survive freezing. Each spring we will read about burst fittings. A fitting or elbow full of water will not likely survive freezing.

Antifreeze:
          This seems like "too much trouble" to those who have never tried it. Once you understand the process, it takes 10 minutes and $10 (or less) of antifreeze. Add to this the peace of mind of not laying awake worrying about how low the temperature is going to drop tonight and this is well worth the price. The factory winterizes with antifreeze . . . if they thought air was sufficient, do you think they would spend the money on antifreeze for every rig shipped in winter months?

I specifically do not blow out the lines before introducing antifreeze. The reason for this is that blowing out the lines creates air pockets that have to get through the on-board pump as it draws in the antifreeze. These pump cavitation periods do not help anything. If you use the air first and then antifreeze process, watch for how much clear water comes out of a faucet before the antifreeze. This will verify how much water was left in the system after blowing out the lines. Introducing antifreeze without the air first step, will still push the water out of the system.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
            How many folks just blow there lines out and add antifreeze to there traps? We like to late fall camp and wondering in between trips if I just blow the lines out I will be safe. Im only talking about end of Oct and we live in Iowa, temps then can dip below freezing here and there. The other question do the make an adaptor to hook up to fresh water with and air fitting so I can use my air compressor?
            Dennis I too use air (45psi) and antifreeze. First I use the low point drains and drain water heater. Then I use air first (city water setting, air at 45 psi max) This makes sure the feed line to the HWT tank gets blown out. I also feed air through the fresh water fill line too. These lines do not get treated when using the antifreeze and nautilus setting to winterize as the HWH is bypassed as well as the fresh water fill line. I then pump antifreeze through everything (except HWH) until solid pink is coming out of all fixtures - don't forget the outside shower/spray ports.

Last is I open the low point drains and faucets again. I usually get clear water for a few seconds from the low point drains - even after winterizing. Last I dump all the tanks to get the antifreeze out.

Important - make sure all pressure is off (water or air) before changing nautilus settings.

Just my method

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

very helpful, I was planning on using antifreeze for winter its just that late fall before winter, sounds like just spend the 10 bucks after a trip if planning on making another
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I get anti freeze for around $2.50 gallon, a single plumbing fitting costs way more than 2 gallons of anti freeze.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I went to winterize my Reflection the other day. Emptied the hot water heater, removed the caps from the low point drains, opened the faucets and set the switches for winterize. I closed all the faucets and connected one end of a short hose to the input water connection with the other end inserted in a bottle of RV Antifreeze. Turned on the pump and there wasn't enough suction to raise the antifreeze more that an inch out of the bottle. I moved the bottle around — raising it and lowering it. The pump appeared to have no umph. Has anyone run across this problem? Has anyone had any experience changing the pump?

I've changed the pump on my old Forest River Signature Ultra Lite, but the pump was easy to access. I'm not sure where the pump is located, I'm assuming behind the wall next to the control panel.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
                  Allan
                  2016 Reflection 337RLS
                  2019 2500HD Silverado diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by allanr View Post
                    I went to winterize my Reflection the other day. Emptied the hot water heater, removed the caps from the low point drains, opened the faucets and set the switches for winterize. I closed all the faucets and connected one end of a short hose to the input water connection with the other end inserted in a bottle of RV Antifreeze. Turned on the pump and there wasn't enough suction to raise the antifreeze more that an inch out of the bottle. I moved the bottle around — raising it and lowering it. The pump appeared to have no umph. Has anyone run across this problem? Has anyone had any experience changing the pump?

I've changed the pump on my old Forest River Signature Ultra Lite, but the pump was easy to access. I'm not sure where the pump is located, I'm assuming behind the wall next to the control panel.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.
                    Depending on what model of Reflection , fifth wheel or tt, will depend on where the pump is but both are similar in location. Both units will have there pumps located behind the Nautilus pane. You stated that you removed the caps from the low point drains, did you install them before trying to use the pump. I have also heard that if you remove the screen on the fresh water connection and install it backwards, pointy side in , it will put pressure on the check valve that is in this connection to allow for the pump to draw from the jug, I have never had to do this.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Allan,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members .

The key to getting the pump to draw in antifreeze is to have one faucet at a time open, to let the system water and air out. If all the faucets are closed, the pump has no where to pump the antifreeze to . . . and will not pull it out of the jug.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

allanr
                        Welcome to the family and the forum!
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X