Fresh Water Tank Capacity 297RSTS 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TedS View Post
    If the water tank is 36" x 60" and the vent port is 1" below the top, you would lose about 9 gallons. 54 - 9 = 45.
    I just read through the thread again and I think I missed this post.
    The vent is on the side and your math explains the issue.
    Thank you.

PineconeNW
    Reflection 297RSTS 2021
    Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
    https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Comment

I understand that we lose a few gallons bc of the overflow, but this is ridiculous... I own an Imagine XLS 22MLE and discovered today that the 47 gallon fresh water tank will only hold 31 gallons. 16 gallons short of the stated capacity?? If any other members have the same model I am interested to know if this is normal for the 47 gallon tank.
      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      2012 Toyota Tundra 5.8
      Idaho Falls, ID

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBarnes792 View Post
        I understand that we lose a few gallons bc of the overflow, but this is ridiculous... I own an Imagine XLS 22MLE and discovered today that the 47 gallon fresh water tank will only hold 31 gallons. 16 gallons short of the stated capacity?? If any other members have the same model I am interested to know if this is normal for the 47 gallon tank.
        If you are filling the tank until it water comes out of the overflow tube then it will cause a syphoning effect that will drain your tank to some kind of level until it quits. The manuals state to fill until the tank sensors say it is full and then stop filling, this will leave about a 1" air gap at the top of the tank and should not introduce the syphoning effect. Some owners have installed a shut off valve on the overflow tube to be able to fill the tank full and not lose any water to the syphoning effect, do this at your own risk as there is plenty risk involved.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBarnes792 View Post
          The specs on the 22MLE on Grand Design's website shows 43 gallons. https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...ns/22mle#specs

The fresh water tank itself has a capacity of 37 gallons (according to information I can access as a moderator). The difference (6 gallons) historically was because of the water heater capacity. With today's tankless (if that's what your Imagine has) then there's no extra 6 gallons. If there's a traditional water heater, then you will have the extra 6 gallons, or 43 total.

That your Imagine holds 31 gallons instead of 37 gallons (I assume you had a meter of some sort) is not terribly unusual. Due to the vent and overflow there is some "head room" in the tank that won't get filled.

BTW--welcome to the forum, David.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I used a "hose end" meter to measure the capacity of the fresh water tank. I checked the acuracy of the meter and it's right on. I do have a tank style water heater so I suppose I have to add that 6 gallons to the capacity, which is still only 37. I will use the fresh water tank until it runs dry and just carry a couple of jerry cans as a backup. Adapt and overcome.
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2012 Toyota Tundra 5.8
            Idaho Falls, ID

Comment

Working...
            X