Winterizing black tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing black tank

I’m wondering what others do to winterize their black tank. I always put 5-10 gallons into the black tank after dumping. Should I be draining that to keep it from freezing? Or just leave it to thaw in the spring?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
    I’m wondering what others do to winterize their black tank. I always put 5-10 gallons into the black tank after dumping. Should I be draining that to keep it from freezing? Or just leave it to thaw in the spring?

Bob
    Last year I used a "black tank cleaner", filled the tank with water, let it soak 2 days, drained it and flushed it really good, and then drained it again. Then I blew out the flush line with compressed air. I added antifreeze in the toilet and it stayed there all winter. When I de-winterized, everything seemed to be fine.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

I have always drained my the best I could. When winterizing I just ran the antifreeze thru the toilet and have not had a problem. You could also just dump a gallon of antifreeze down the toilet and let it in the tank until first use. I do not think letting water freeze at the drain valve would be good for the valve. When I use to winterize I would drain at home and allow the valve to stay open for a few days to dry out as much as I could.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

bogen2
        Hi Bob,

Ideally, all tanks should be as empty as possible and whatever liquid is left in the tank should have as high a percentage of antifreeze as possible. I drain all tanks completely, tipping the trailer as high as possible and as low as possible with the landing gear. Then, I winterized the plumbing system, catching the water that comes out of each faucet first in a bowl and then letting the following antifreeze go down the drains into the tanks. For a long winter freeze, I would be generous with the amount of antifreeze used.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          bogen2
          .... I winterized the plumbing system, catching the water that comes out of each faucet first in a bowl and then letting the following antifreeze go down the drains into the tanks.
          Rob
          I learned something new. I never thought of that.

Last year I dumped at the campground, came home, winterized, dumped the greywater left from flushing in my backyard, and then put some more antifreeze in the drains

This would save that morally ambiguous dump in the backyard...

Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by RJAPCOK View Post

Last year I used a "black tank cleaner", filled the tank with water, let it soak 2 days, drained it and flushed it really good, and then drained it again. Then I blew out the flush line with compressed air. I added antifreeze in the toilet and it stayed there all winter. When I de-winterized, everything seemed to be fine.

I hope this helps.

Bob
            hello…did you only blow the lines with compressed air or did you use rv anti freeze as well?

many thanks

coops

Cooper
            2021 303RLS
            2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

Cooper
              See this discussion. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ack-tank-flush (My comment in post 6)
              In "theory" blowing out the flush line with air should be sufficient . . . but, a lot depends on how this line was routed in your trailer.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cooper When I winterize, the only line I blow out with compressed air is the black tank flush line. The rest of the system I drain and pump in RV antifreeze. This winter, I am going to try to put antifreeze through the black tank flush line as well.

Bob
                Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by RJAPCOK View Post
                  Cooper When I winterize, the only line I blow out with compressed air is the black tank flush line. The rest of the system I drain and pump in RV antifreeze. This winter, I am going to try to put antifreeze through the black tank flush line as well.

Bob

many thanks

Bought a hand pump and used it to add antifreeze into black tank flush line. Click image for larger version

Name:	5CB3EB40-8741-4FDF-ACA0-72A7CD02584D.jpeg
Views:	450
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	67300

coops
                  Cooper
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Cooper
                    See this discussion. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ack-tank-flush (My comment in post 6)
                    In "theory" blowing out the flush line with air should be sufficient . . . but, a lot depends on how this line was routed in your trailer.

Rob
                    Many thanks

Cooper
                    2021 303RLS

Comment

Watched neighbor winterize the other day (We full time so not something we do). After he got a good flow of antifreeze through his outdoor spigot hose he hooked that hose up to his black tank flush and pumped antifreeze into the line that way.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                      X