Vegetable oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetable oil?

I have a 2021 303rls and the black tank valve is really hard to pull dealer said its normal. I was reading on another forum a guy poured a 1/2 gallon of vegetable oil in the toilet then went and worked the valve back and fort. Then he poured the remaining 1/2 gallon in the toilet and let it sit. Has anyone ever done that on this site? He said it really helped make the valve easier to pull.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I have with corn oil. Also shoot a little pB Blaster on valve stems and work them back and forth

Comment

Yep sprayed at pull handles but did not do much
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I can say from experience repairing and replacing water valves on equipment that PB blaster is hard on seals and should be avoided. As much as I love Blaster its not a good choice, silicone spray is best and is non destructive when it comes to water valves.
        I have found that RV anti freeze also has some lubricating properties and if left in the tank will help keep the valves itself from sticking.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would think if they're hard to pull cable routing is probably your issue more than valve lubrication. That said someone did put a grease zerk on the valve housing at one point, I think that did help a little bit they wound up rerouting the cable. If you look at the instructions for the valve they've got specific requirements for the size of bends and cable supports for proper operations. They tend to be"overlooked"but the factory, and leave a lot of room for improvement.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I agree with ncitro on the routing of the pull cables. Of the three cables on our rig I've had to replace the two that make 180 degree bends. Tried to ease the bends on the replacement cables and this seems to help.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Dennis66
              Hi Dennis,

If you try lubricating the gate valve by way of vegetable oil in the tank, remember that the oil will float on top of whatever water is in the tank. With the gate being 3" in diameter, you might want to start with water in the tank to float the oil up to the top of the gate valve and slowly drain the contents to work the oil down the entire gate valve. I did try vegetable oil at one point with limited success. Read on . . .

I replaced my gate valves and cables and embarked on an "engineering investigation " to figure out what was going on. I cut apart a gate valve to discover that the cavity that the gate pulls back into fills up with whatever is in the tank. I am the one who put grease zerks on my gate valves so that I can replenish the white grease in these cavities. (see attached) This works for me because I have opening doors in the underside of my trailer . . . which gets into a whole other story.

The other big part of the problem was the cable routing (as has already been mentioned). Long sweeping bends are fine. Clamps tp keep the cable going straight in/out of the valve are important. The original cable routing was not like the instructions from Valterra. (see attached)

Rob
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-28-2021, 03:12 PM.
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I spray my valves with Food Grade Silicone. Chose the food grade since it would not contain petroleum solvents which I was uncertain if the valve could handle that or not. Seems to be working well.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-03040-Sil...2847401&sr=8-2

Jim

Comment

I use silicone at the handles, looking at the zert fittings would be great but once there in how do you grease them? The outside valve is easy to get to. I brought the issue up with my dealer about checking the cables for binding and they wont do it said that is how they are. Next year I may lower the bottom and take a look and deal with it then.
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                    I use silicone at the handles, looking at the zert fittings would be great but once there in how do you grease them? The outside valve is easy to get to. I brought the issue up with my dealer about checking the cables for binding and they wont do it said that is how they are. Next year I may lower the bottom and take a look and deal with it then.
                    You'd have to lower the coroplast to grease them, or cut in an access like Rob has.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

There is always the Thetford lube. Not used it but 89% at four stars of higher may be an indicator that it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Drai...ustomerReviews

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        There is always the Thetford lube. Not used it but 89% at four stars of higher may be an indicator that it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Drai...ustomerReviews

Jim
                        Similarly, I've used the TST version of dump valve lube https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40246-D...2878693&sr=8-3. It took a good portion of the stick out of my kitchen valve.

​​
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Well instead of going the cut the hole route or bomber doors like Rob, why not use something like https://locknlube.com/products/greas...relocation-kit extended through the coroplast and foam sealed around the hose??
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X