Anti freeze in water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti freeze in water heater

I have a 2019 Reflection 297 RSTS and when I started winterizing, I noticed anti freeze coming out of the water heater, regardless of what position the red knob was in. I followed the directions in the owners manual and even watched a couple videos. Help.
    Last edited by Country Campers; 09-30-2021, 05:47 AM.

The check valve in the heater outlet may be stuck open.

Are you the original owner? Just asking. If not, the original owner may have modified plumbing.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

x2 on TedS Ted's advice. The Nautilus system water heater bypass valve switches the water/antifreeze supply from the water heater inlet to the water heater outlet to bypass the water heater, but requires a check valve on the water heater outlet to prevent back feeding the water heater. These plastic check valves are notorious for failing. There are better quality brass check valves available. Changing this check valve is certainly an excellent "preventative maintenance" item for anyone with a Nautilus water system.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        The check valve in the heater outlet may be stuck open.

Are you the original owner? Just asking. If not, the original owner may have modified plumbing.
        I am the second owner.
        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-30-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          x2 on TedS Ted's advice. The Nautilus system water heater bypass valve switches the water/antifreeze supply from the water heater inlet to the water heater outlet to bypass the water heater, but requires a check valve on the water heater outlet to prevent back feeding the water heater. These plastic check valves are notorious for failing. There are better quality brass check valves available. Changing this check valve is certainly an excellent "preventative maintenance" item for anyone with a Nautilus water system.

Rob
          Is this check valve hard to get to or replace? Where would I get parts for this repair?
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-30-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

howson
            Tagging Howard on this thread since I think he has accomplished this same repair. The check valve is on the upper water connection on the back of the water heater. I am not sure how hard this is to get to on a Reflection 297 RSTS.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post

Is this check valve hard to get to or replace? Where would I get parts for this repair?
              Marty -- very easy to repair. Remove the drawers in the bedroom wardrobe closet and you'll see the back of the water heater. The valve I suggest as a replacement is the brass one from Valterra (I've had no issues since installing).

Edit: Forgive me stating the obvious--but make sure the water supply (and water pump) is off prior to attempting the repair. Open a hot water faucet to ensure all the pressure in the lines is removed. Also, ensure the water has cooled to avoid getting inadvertently burned.

Of course this recommendation assumes you have the same 6 gallon Suburban water heater in my 315RLTS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	change the valve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	67021

Click image for larger version  Name:	Valve for hot water heater.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	67020
              Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Marty -- very easy to repair. Remove the drawers in the bedroom wardrobe closet and you'll see the back of the water heater. The valve I suggest as a replacement is the brass one from Valterra (I've had no issues since installing).

Edit: Forgive me stating the obvious--but make sure the water supply (and water pump) is off prior to attempting the repair. Open a hot water faucet to ensure all the pressure in the lines is removed. Also, ensure the water has cooled to avoid getting inadvertently burned.

Of course this recommendation assumes you have the same 6 gallon Suburban water heater in my 315RLTS.

Click image for larger version Name:	change the valve.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	67021

Click image for larger version Name:	Valve for hot water heater.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	67020
                Howard
                I checked the back of the water heater and it appears I already have that valve on the hot water side. Might I need one on the cold water side to prevent it filling with anti freeze or might I need a new red knob to stop the anti freeze from even getting to the water heater?
                Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-02-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

You have the valve, but is it working properly. Remove it and check it. It should be normally closed, allowing flow in only one direction. Make sure it installed correctly allowing flow out of the water heater and not in. There should be an arrow imprinted on it indicating free flow direction. The arrow should point away from the water heater.
                  Do not put a check valve on the inlet.
                  You may need a new red handled valve, ultimately.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                  X