Orientation of Washer Screen on Water Supply Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of Washer Screen on Water Supply Hose

Kind of a red faced moment here, but since it took me over three years for the obvious to finally dawn on me I thought I would save others the same embarrassment.

At many parks we visit there is a backflow preventer on the end of the water spigot. These are basically a spring loaded check valve with a central post or axel that may even extend past the bottom of the backflow preventer. If the screen on the water supply hose washer is dome up like I have been installing mine several bad things can happen. One is that the screen will be collapsed by the stem on the backflow preventer. Another is that the screen can be pushed to one side and interfere with getting a water tight seal between the washer and the spigot.

A third and what generated this post is that the screen can actually push on the backflow preventer stem with enough force that it prevents the backflow preventer from opening. This is what finally clued me in to flipping the washer over so that the screen is dome down, into the hose.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.
Working...
X