potable water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potable water

We have been using city water for a few weeks (across multiple locations) with water lines in daily use. At some point we will be in a place where city water unavailable so need to use the fresh water tank. As it will have been empty for some weeks (drained last month by opening gate valve & low point drain lines), is it likely the tank will be bone dry or have residual moisture? Either way is just filling it OK or should I first run some water through it ('flush') & then fill or does entire system need to be sanitized?
    2021 Reflection 260RD & 2021 F-250

When my fresh tank is not used for a while I will add some water, 20 gallons or so , and then drain and fill for use.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You didn't share whether or not you drink the water from the RV. If you do, I would sanitize the system as you shared as well.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I'm going to recommend to you what most people don't want to hear. You should properly sanitize the tank before putting it back into use. Mold & mildew can (and will) grow in that tank depending on several conditions. Moisture, darkness, and temps being the main culprits. Other things to worry about are things such as Salmonella, E. Coli. Tank sanitizing can be done in as little as 4 hours, preferably 12-24 hours for a tank that has been emptied for a longer period. Because you have been using city (normally treated) water, I would not be too worried about the lines, faucets, and hot water tank, although you can still sanitize them for your piece of mind.
        Gary & Sheryl
        2017 Reflection 29RS
        2020 F250 7.3 Gaszilla

Comment

After considering a low waste RO system, filters and so on, we have decided on using whatever water is available (if having to add water) for showering and to use bottled water for consumption. However, most of the time, we travel with full city water and will carry two additional jugs of city water to allow us a week of boondocking, so in this case we drink from a sanitized tank as Dan has suggested. If we ever add water from a campground to the tank, we move back to the bottled water choice for drinking.
          My issue with using water from campgrounds is based on one experience where a campground in MI was found to have ecoli in the wells. So at some point someone must have consumed this water until it was discovered. My other issue is with most campgrounds having potable water next to the dump station and IMO should be outlawed by the health department. What were they thinking??

https://www.target.com/p/ice-mountai...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim

Comment

My two cents are you need to sanitize per the manual instructions!

I have a life time of camping/backpacking experience. Even though I have
            only a year of experience with our trailer. I will never leave my tank
            empty. Either flush it once a month or keep it treated. I keep mine per
            these two government web sites. It always has chlorine in it and if I am
            too lazy to pull the water bottle I am ok with drinking out of it. Which I
            often do.

- Disinfecting Water With Chlorine Bleach -

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...drinking-water
            https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf..._flyer_508.pdf

- Amounts of bleach for ordinary containers -
            Double if water is cloudy
            1 quart .1 ml 2 drops
            2 liter soda bottle .3 ml 4 drops
            1 gallon .6 ml 8 drops 1/8 teaspoon
            5 gallons 2.5 ml 40 drops 1/2 teaspoon
            45 gallons 27.0 ml 360 drops 5.6 teaspoons 0.112 cups 0.912 ounce
            54 gallons 32.4 ml 432 drops 6.8 teaspoons 0.135 cups 1.095 ounce

Last edited by Country Campers; 10-08-2021, 11:27 AM. Reason: Rule #13
            PineconeNW
            Reflection 297RSTS 2021
            Chevrolet K2500 Duramax LBZ 2007
            https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              My other issue is with most campgrounds having potable water next to the dump station and IMO should be outlawed by the health department. What were they thinking??
              Couldn't agree more!!! Those two worlds have no business being that close together in my mind too. I even cringe at the thought of what the person staying at a power/water/sewer site before me has done with the water spout. We actually carry a bottle of bleach based disinfectant spray to clean the water spout before connecting, just for peace of mind.​​​​​
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

We're new to RV-ing, and I have had this same thought whenever I hook up the trailer at a site. Most of the faucets are in bad condition, set at odd angles, leak, hard to turn on and off, etc. I visualize the previous tenants struggling with the faucets, leaking sewage all over the ground when they dump. I am extremely careful about allowing an end of my water hose to touch the ground anywhere in that area (especially), or anywhere else around the trailer.

OTOH, I keep in mind that people have been doing this for a long, long time and there must have been precious few infections. Otherwise, there surely would have been regulatory intervention. Also, I tend to worry about tiny things that are probably of no real concern.
                Ruth and Patrick
                2022 Transcend 200MK
                2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post

OTOH, I keep in mind that people have been doing this for a long, long time and there must have been precious few infections. Otherwise, there surely would have been regulatory intervention.
                  I doubt that we would know how many issues have occurred through an RV well. These systems are checked regularly where we would never see mass infections, and the few would most likely go undetected since folks move around. I guess I can blame my RN wife who has educated me on cross contamination. Potable water located in close proximity to the dumping station is appalling when we consider the actions some are capable of doing.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X