• Show
Clear All

• Bulge in red+white soft water line attached to hot side of bathrm sink

Click image for larger version

Name:	2A415DCC-E701-433F-9634-E6F954723463.jpeg
Views:	557
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	67632

this pic does not show it very well but immediately below the Pex clamp starts a bulge in the line that I’ve not seen before. The bulge disappears starting about 1” further down. I’ve double checked my water pressure meter and its where I usually keep it, 40lbs. Pressure in rig feels very typical, not too weak, not too strong.
    Anyone know the cause of the bulge and if this presents any potential for a future burst in the line / flooding? All input appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Change that to Pex. Avoid it bursting.
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
      Change that to Pex. Avoid it bursting.
      Thanks Jim but if you’re referring to the water line, it is factory. I’m the original owner and it was that way from new. The clamp is PEX but the line / hose is soft/flexible. That being said, I would have no idea (nor skill history) on how to go about replacing the entire section of hose. What are your thoughts on what the root cause of the bulge is? Appreciate your input.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Hot water temperature and pressure would be the cause. Are there any pressure and temperature rating markings on the hose?
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Hot water temperature and pressure would be the cause. Are there any pressure and temperature rating markings on the hose?
          Yes, I’ve used the same type and brand (not inexpensive) of adjustable water pressure regulator for the past three years, (first year in a different RV) replacing it at least twice. I’m good about checking the initial pressure upon hook up at each campsite, check it every other day or so, and keep it at 40- no more than 45lbs. The HW temperature in my RV seems to be the same since new (2 years) and I’m led to believe that it is pre set and not adjustable. I do not see any pressure or temp information on the hose. I’m certainly not sure, but it seems like that if pressure or temp were the issue, there would be little reason for it to not happen much earlier than two years after going into service, but then again I’m not sure at all. All further advise is appreciated.
          Last edited by Schiefswret; 10-09-2021, 03:26 PM.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

There are lots of posts about the soft hose used in RVs on this forum, and searching for 'soft hose' either using the builtin search function or through Google specifying this site will give you lots of valuable information.

To sum it up though, the bulging is a sign of failure in the hose, especially when it's a bubble hanging off the side. I'd say doing a replacement to PEX is your best bet. If you don't want to do a full rebuild, I believe you can get the proper hose barb fitting from a plumbing shop or possibly your local big box store that can take you from the soft hose to a threaded fitting. Then you also get a threaded fitting to PEX, allowing you to build your own adapter to go from soft hose to PEX, which then is an easy connection to the faucet fitting with a PEX swivel adapter.

I have also read about people using a PolyB to PEX fitting, like this https://www.sharkbite.com/products/b...tylene-adapter I've never done it myself, so hopefully someone here can weigh-in there
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
              There are lots of posts about the soft hose used in RVs on this forum, and searching for 'soft hose' either using the builtin search function or through Google specifying this site will give you lots of valuable information.

To sum it up though, the bulging is a sign of failure in the hose, especially when it's a bubble hanging off the side. I'd say doing a replacement to PEX is your best bet. If you don't want to do a full rebuild, I believe you can get the proper hose barb fitting from a plumbing shop or possibly your local big box store that can take you from the soft hose to a threaded fitting. Then you also get a threaded fitting to PEX, allowing you to build your own adapter to go from soft hose to PEX, which then is an easy connection to the faucet fitting with a PEX swivel adapter.

I have also read about people using a PolyB to PEX fitting, like this https://www.sharkbite.com/products/b...tylene-adapter I've never done it myself, so hopefully someone here can weigh-in there
              much thanks Steve, I did more than a few searches but they did not include ‘soft’
              That’s a lot to digest. I’ll reread your response several more times to try to picture what you’re saying and do the proper searches this time and Ck out the links u sent and go from there. Thanks again for the help.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret
                Hi Dave,

Much has been written on this forum about soft hose clamped to Pex fittings. This is "approved" by RVIA (even though the hose ID is too large for the Pex fitting) and is widely used by all RV manufactures to expedite assembly time. The attached picture is the soft hose that was attached to the water heater output on my 2015 Reflection. It burst. This is where yours is headed if you don't replace with Pex pipe.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob, that’s exactly what happened to mine. Based on my chat with Steve I’m headed to HD tomorrow to try to make up a short section of PEX tubing to run from the fitting to the hot side of the faucet down low and long enough to attach to the soft tubing in hopes that this patch procedure will not repeat itself. I’m not situated to replace the entire run even though it appears that it should be.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret the normal pressure you expect using a regulator is not the only pressure possible. If the air space necessary for heated water expansion in the water heater is gone, pressure in the water system can rise to the 150 psi setting of the t&p valve on the water heater.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Final fix with pics: Click image for larger version

Name:	58054A1D-C92A-4224-9480-F3537F7695A4.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	67838
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	B4ABC8BF-13BB-49E8-BC10-AEACE21D2150.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	67839
                      Much thanks to all who contributed!! Safe Travels🚌
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X