22MLE City Water inlet leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22MLE City Water inlet leak

We recently had a drip leak at the City Water compression fitting and I thought to post this to help other 22MLE owners if they come across this issue.

While camping we first noticed some water next to the bed on the slide-side coming from under the wall where the electrical outlet and USB ports are located. After trying a number of things we could not get it to stop dripping so we waited until we got home to investigate.

Photo 1 shows that the only way to get access behind the water bay on our 22MLE is by crawling into the Pass Thru and removing the side cover (red arrow). After removal I was able to reach back and feel that the compression fitting was loose. I tightened it but then thought that I should probably add Teflon tape to the threads in case it happened again.

To get to the threads I removed the compression fitting then crawled back out to remove the screws for the water inlet Photo 2. With the compression fitting off and screws removed this allowed me to pull out the inlet to access the threads. I used a small amount of PTFE Thread Seal Tape to wrap it.

Once the inlet was screwed back in I crawled back into the Pass Thru to tighten the compression fitting. While still in there my DW hooked up the hose to the City Water inlet and put it under pressure. No leaking, problem solved! We suspect the compression fitting had worked itself loose during travel or perhaps not tightened enough at the factory.

We felt pretty good that we solved the problem albeit with a little maneuvering but a good job can always be perfected.....

The next day we asked ourselves if we should create easier access to the back of the water bay if it happened again while camping. I wouldn’t have to crawl back in after removing all of the things we carry in the Pass Thru.

I decided to cut an access hole through the wall next to the bed big enough to fit a hand in there to check and/or tighten things as needed. It would be nice if Grand Design put in access areas to plumbing where it’s difficult to reach.

Photo 3 shows the hole closed up. I used the panel that came under the bathroom vanity on our 22MLE. Photo 4 shows it opened and the arrow pointing to the compression fitting.

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Tigger1
    Good that you got this leak stopped and your access panel is definitely a better idea.

Just a comment, if I may, on solving a leak like this. As you have noted, thus is a compression fitting (sealing on a soft cone washer between the two parts). As such, teflon tape or pipe thread seal is not necessary or even appropriate for stopping a drip leak at one of these connections. The cone washer is likely damaged, but replacing it is easy. If you can't find just a cone washer for sale at a plumbing store, just buy a similar fitting and use the cone washer from that.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob

Thanks for the tip. The unit is winterized for the season so I’ll have a look next season. Will be easy now that the access hole is there.
      2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
      2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
      Andersen WDH
      2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Tigger1 I rain to a similar issue on a previous unit at the toilet. I would tighten it about every 3rd or 4th use of the unit. Finally replaced the crappy factory sponge cone seal with one off amazon and problem never came back. After reading on here, it may have been due to water heater induced pressure rise.

These are the ones i used and keep on hand now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2

Thanks for the link.
          2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
          2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          Andersen WDH
          2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Cate&Rob Jlawles2

Thanks again for the replies. Dewinterized this past week and replaced the seal which fixed the problem. The link to the seals was an exact fit and came as a 10-Pk. I’ll be keeping these on hand when we camp.
            2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            Andersen WDH
            2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Working...
            X