Winterizing with black tank not completely empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing with black tank not completely empty

Is it OK to winterize with the black tank not completely empty? When we dumped at the end of our last trip the dump station apparently wasn't level and I don't think we got everything out of the tanks even though nothing was coming out the drain when we finished. When we got home and checked the tank levels we discovered our grey tanks were not completely empty (the black tank always shows full so I don't even bother checking that). I dumped the both greys onto the grass and got a couple gallons each. Based on that I'm guessing there's 3-5 gal in the black tank too but I cant just dump that on the yard. I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it. It would be inconvenient to hitch up and tow 10 miles to nearest dump station, and pay whatever they charge, just for a few gallons.

Here's my question. When I winterize can I just leave he black tank as-is and pour some extra antifreeze down the toilet? Its a 45 gallon black tank so there should be plenty of space for expansion.

Sure, put some antifreeze in it. I also put antifreeze in the greys in case they aren't completely empty.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

hampal

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The problem with leaving liquid in a black/grey holding tank is possible freeze damage to the gate valve and if the gate valve leaks (even slowly as many do), this can fill the drain manifold which would likely crack if it froze. It takes a lot of antifreeze to dilute water to where it won't freeze. Not the most "pleasant" solution, but you could drain the black tank into a pail and dump this down a house toilet.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

hampal While not the greatest non smelly solution, a 5 gallon bucket (or whatever fits) under the drain will collect what you dump. Just open and close the valve in short intervals. Take the contents of the bucket to the nearest toilet and deposit it there followed by a flush. Toilet will not over flow as the P-trap is designed such that the level may go up, but will flow excess in to the drain pipe.

Continue until the tank is empty.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

If it were me, I wouldn't be concerned.
          I tilt my trailer nose down for the winter, with the way I believe my tanks are plumbed, there would be nothing against the valves and 3-5 gal in a 40 gal tank isn't worth worrying about. Just my qualified opinion as an electrician...lol

But the solution to draining suggested would not be too difficult. I don't think?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I have emptied our black tank at home a few times. The method described above is how I did it. Its not a pretty task and the advice to go slow when opening is crucial. I would also suggest only filling the bucket half full each time. A full bucket is hard to manage
            You could just put a gallon of AF in the black tank and deal with it in the spring. I have done it both ways.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
            X