Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 22MLE Air Admittance Valve "Discovered"

2021 22MLE

Was cleaning out under kitchen sink and found the air admittance valve (AAV) rolling around on the shelf. Was wondering why I was getting some odors; well duh. Went to re-install AAV on drain line and discovered the existing drain line was plumbed so close to the sink that it touches the sink and resulting in insufficient room to re-install the AAV. I suspect during construction it was easier to remove the AAV than to re-plumb the unit correctly. Anyone have this happen to them? Suggestions??

Hi Terrell,

Well . . . that is definitely a factory "mis-build" . . . but, not too difficult to remedy.

You need to offset the vertical pipe enough to install the AAV and this will require a slight lengthening of the horizontal pipe going across to the P trap.
    If you cut the vertical pipe below the T and loosen the white nut on the basin tail pipe, you should be able to remove the entire drain assembly.
    You will need three 1 1/2" ABS fittings available at any plumbing store. A female/female 45 elbow. A female/male 45 elbow (known as a "street elbow"). A coupling. and some ABS glue.
    Arrange the two 45 degree elbows to create enough offset for the AAV to clear the basin.
    Cut the horizontal pipe and install the coupling to increase the distance across to the offset vertical. (You might need two couplings and a short piece of pipe)

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Terrell

Diagram below is from the Studor mini-vent (replacement) instructions. Make sure when the rebuild is complete there is 4" as shown in order for the vent to work correctly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mini-vent.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	68745
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Could a hepvo valve work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211024-083953_Chrome.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	68750
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Terrell The Studor redi-vent is physically smaller in diameter than the black AAV installed by GD. The threads are the same, but the upper diameter is about the same size as the pipe not the fitting.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-R...0353/203111264 This may fit in your location without modifications and they work better than the factory ones. Check all of the AV's as both of mine were less than hand tight.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Terrell

Any of these four solutions could work. If you go with the lower AAV location or the Hepvo, make sure that you cap (or remove) the original AAV location. Although the info posted by Howard shows a lower location for the AAV . . . it is normal to get this valve as high as possible beside the basin.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I like the simplest, smaller diameter valve with the same threads.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas... think I will try the simplest first and try to fit the narrow body Studor vent on the existing line. New to the forum and first G.D. unit so having a knowledge pool from talented folks like you is a wonderful resource. My thanks again...

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell View Post
                  2021 22MLE

Was cleaning out under kitchen sink and found the air admittance valve (AAV) rolling around on the shelf. Was wondering why I was getting some odors; well duh. Went to re-install AAV on drain line and discovered the existing drain line was plumbed so close to the sink that it touches the sink and resulting in insufficient room to re-install the AAV. I suspect during construction it was easier to remove the AAV than to re-plumb the unit correctly. Anyone have this happen to them? Suggestions??
                  I had a similar situation in my 2970RL. The AAV was right up against the sink and the bottom of the countertop. Impossible to unscrew where it was. I disconnected the drain pipe from the P-trap. Then I was able to tilt the pipe out which gave me enough room to replace the AAV with new. With your pipe going through that shelf I don't think you would have enough room to tip it out. You may however have enough play to bring the pipe down.

I don't think it is a mis-build. They obviously put the AAV on the pipe first and then glue it into the fitting.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Good news... Studor Redi-Vent did the trick with 1/64" to spare... thanks again for the assistance!!

Comment

Working...
                    X