Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming soft hose removal project advise needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming soft hose removal project advise needed.

I am almost at my winter landing spot in Florida and have made a list of projects I want to get done before traveling next spring. My biggest challenge this season is the ongoing soft hose removal which is being done a few at a time because there are so many in my trailer. This winter I want to get the back of the toilet soft hose removed with Pex and add a shut off valve as Rob did in his 303. Here is my situation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25D0CA17-DC20-43D6-B3C1-EAB34EADB04B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	69170

Rob’s solution I want to emulate is below but in a prettier blue hose…..

Click image for larger version  Name:	15CDF4F9-4C00-47A7-99B4-489FB29BA51B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	130.9 KB ID:	69171

The advise needed from this forum is where the line meets in a T below the floor. This is a very difficult area to work in because once the basement wall is removed, it is way in the back and above the converter. Hard to get leverage with heavy tools like crimper. My fear is water getting to the converter if the soft hose leaks so I want to get this done ASAP. Why in the world did Grand Design think this was not a safety concern?

Click image for larger version  Name:	AA4FAA82-0FC1-4396-8AB4-4C368AE05B2A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	69172

I have two options to consider and the advise given should take into account the location above the converter. No leaks allowed, ever!

Option one is the Watts connector mentioned by Yoda in one of the recent threads. This would be the easiest to do because it would require cutting existing and pushing into the connector, no Pex crimps to squeeze. Option two is a brass Pex T with crimps. What would you do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACBB14BC-BBBE-4131-9709-DD3C9B8F2F9D.png
Views:	697
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	69176

The second project for soft hose is getting rid of the soft hot water line to the water heater. There are more lines to get rid of but I only have enough patience for a few at a time. And I need some more courage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5B2E475-B64C-4CFC-A7EC-327736F5E6BE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	69175
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Go with the Watts T and move the converter to a place less likely to get wet.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Beachcamper I replaced about 90% of all soft hoses in my 21G. The reason for this is that once you mess with the soft hose, it starts leaking at every joint. so once you mess with the hose at the toilet, there's a good chance it will start leaking at the tee. Lucky for you 2 of the 3 hoses from the tee are already pex. If there is a way you can remove the soft hose and replace with pex (keeping the plastic tee) you are much better off in my opinion. But I'm not a professional plumber.

How you're going to do that is a good question, but a worthy endeavor.

As far as crimpers there are options that may make it easier:

Name:	pocket crimper.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	69180

Name:	sleeve crimper.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	69181
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Name:	20211029_101453.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	69183I did mine as well recently. I dremmeled (very carefully) the clamp. Then ran pex into bathroom added shutoff and over to new toil et. My converter was already moved so didn't have to worry about that. You could always put a trash bag and then a towel to keep it dry....will see if I can get a pic.
        2018 337RLS
        720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
        disc brakes, ems

Comment

Hi Viv,
          Here is my silly opinion. LOL

Converter: Before starting, blow out your water lines like you would do to winterize. This way, most of the water is out of the lines.
          Unplug shore power & battery power and lay some platsic over your converter with a couple towel on top of the plastic to soak up what water you do get. (Unpluging to be Safe)

As far as connectors. Either is good. I, if there is room to work, I would go with crimping. In tight areas, go with Watts.
          Note: With Watts, you can remove these if you need to. With Crimping, it's not easy to remove.

You will do fine. The hardest part (as we have the same unit) is getting into the basement to work. Ask me how I know this.

Steve
          Steve
          2018 Reflection 303
          2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Hi Vivian,

Ironically, it was a drip leak at that exact fitting that sent me on my journey to replace all the soft hose in my 303.

I would go with replacing the one soft hose with Pex and using the original T with the two existing Pex connections. Removing all 3 connections and then fitting a Watts T to the deformed ends of the existing Pex is just asking for trouble .

I have used both the solid copper ring and the stainless steel wrap clamps. Both work with Pex, but the wrap ones can be “unwrapped” and thus are easier to remove without a cutting tool.

Opening the low point drain under the trailer and then flushing the toilet and opening the vanity cold tap should drain that line. I would just throw a towel over the converter and that should take care of any water drips during removal.

BTW, I purposely picked white Pex for that replacement line because I thought it looked better than blue LOL! All the rest of the replacement Pex is done in blue or red.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
              Hi Viv,
              Here is my silly opinion. LOL

Converter: Before starting, blow out your water lines like you would do to winterize. This way, most of the water is out of the lines.
              Unplug shore power & battery power and lay some platsic over your converter with a couple towel on top of the plastic to soak up what water you do get. (Unpluging to be Safe)

As far as connectors. Either is good. I, if there is room to work, I would go with crimping. In tight areas, go with Watts.
              Note: With Watts, you can remove these if you need to. With Crimping, it's not easy to remove.

You will do fine. The hardest part (as we have the same unit) is getting into the basement to work. Ask me how I know this.

Steve

Winterize??? I have never done this before but will make sure to get all water off and drained. The plastic on top of converter is also noted. Moving the converter? I don’t think there is anyplace in that area basement that would be protected from a major leak so I may move it a few inches from under that connection. Yes, that area is tough to work in and my arthritic hands have difficulty with the crimper in normal situations. Good to know you think watts is ok.

I am also thinking of adding yet another plexiglass window to that panel in front of converter. I did a hinged door and plexiglass at nautilus.

Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Hi Vivian,

Ironically, it was a drip leak at that exact fitting that sent me on my journey to replace all the soft hose in my 303.

I would go with replacing the one soft hose with Pex and using the original T with the two existing Pex connections. Removing all 3 connections and then fitting a Watts T to the deformed ends of the existing Pex is just asking for trouble .

I have used both the solid copper ring and the stainless steel wrap clamps. Both work with Pex, but the wrap ones can be “unwrapped” and thus are easier to remove without a cutting tool.

Opening the low point drain under the trailer and then flushing the toilet and opening the vanity cold tap should drain that line. I would just throw a towel over the converter and that should take care of any water drips during removal.

BTW, I purposely picked white Pex for that replacement line because I thought it looked better than blue LOL! All the rest of the replacement Pex is done in blue or red.

Rob
                Rob, are you suggesting to not change that plastic connector at all? Not even with a brass T? I think I have enough slack to cleanly cut box Pex lines about 1/8” or so past the crimp. But will verify.

Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Hi Vivian,

I would not replace the plastic Tee unless you damage it in removing the soft hose. This is where unwrapping the clamp rather than cutting it is less likely to damage the plastic fitting.

As to the "courage" part . . . practice the removing and replacing of parts with the tools you plan to use . . . while sitting at a table. Get some Pex pipe, fittings and crimp rings and put them together . . . then take them apart. This way you will get a "feel" for the tools which will make it much easier when you are crammed into a tight space doing the same thing.

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Vivian,

I would not replace the plastic Tee unless you damage it in removing the soft hose. This is where unwrapping the clamp rather than cutting it is less likely to damage the plastic fitting.

As to the "courage" part . . . practice the removing and replacing of parts with the tools you plan to use . . . while sitting at a table. Get some Pex pipe, fittings and crimp rings and put them together . . . then take them apart. This way you will get a "feel" for the tools which will make it much easier when you are crammed into a tight space doing the same thing.

Rob
                    Hey, now that Candaland is open to us, when are you going to do mine? (Kidding of course).
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I think I have found the answer to removing the crimp rings in this area. Yes, a new tool under $25! Too good to be true!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092V3K38G...4-b1ac54874027

Name:	C881730B-66F7-4687-B3C3-A0924E280D1F.jpeg
Views:	621
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	69314
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

Another version of a Pex clamp removal tool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-P...PCRR/301923898

Both of these tools are quite large and need a fair amount of room and the crimp ring oriented in a certain way, to use them. I have found that “unwrapping” rather than “cutting” the crimp ring can be done with a much smaller tool when working in a tight space.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beachcamper

Another version of a Pex clamp removal tool. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-P...PCRR/301923898

Both of these tools are quite large and need a fair amount of room and the crimp ring oriented in a certain way, to use them. I have found that “unwrapping” rather than “cutting” the crimp ring can be done with a much smaller tool when working in a tight space.

Rob
                          Might have to go that route because last night there were 5 of those crimp removal tools on Amazon and now it’s out of stock It was too good to be true.

That Apollo tool you linked, I looked at originally and did not like how much twisting is needed to make it work. I just watched another video that shows the kit includes a separate head you can use with a 3/8” ratchet. That would be much better working in tight spaces. I use your method of peeling with the nippers but it takes quite a bit of wrangling. That original removal tool I linked has a video that showed a much easier and smoother process. Maybe it will be back in stock when I get down to Florida.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

I have been using a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the locked end loose, then unwrap the clamp.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Vivian

Here is the tool that I had purchased a while ago, Amazon.com: iCrimp Ratchet PEX Cinch Tool with Removing function for 3/8 to 1-inch Stainless Steel Clamps with 20PCS 1/2-inch and 10PCS 3/4-inch PEX Clamps and Pex Pipe Cutter- All in One : Everything Else

It crimps and cuts the pex clamps. It does take quite a bit to cut the clamp and you still have to peel it off of the pipe. I have used this and also the peel away method, which is a little tough but easier sometimes. This tool has served me well and I really like the small cutter as it fits in small places when needed to make a cut.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X