Pump going briefly on again and again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump going briefly on again and again

We have a 2020 Solitude and just this past few days, it has been running the pump for a second then shutting off and it does this like once each minute. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Either a water leak somewhere after the pump, an air leak at the pump inlet or between it and the tank.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Welcome to the forum Butch. There are three possibilities.

1. Air is trapped in the lines. Open each hot and cold spigot and run it until they stop spitting air. Don't forget washing machine lines and outdoor connections. If that doesn't stop it, proceed to step 2

2. Once pressure builds in the system, it should turn the pump off. If there is a leak in anywhere in the water system, pressure will drop over time and the pump will turn back on until it's pressurized. You may need to do a deep dive to look for a leak.

3. Defective pump sensor. This is unlikely, but still a possibility.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

CarpenterButch

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

As referenced above, the most likely cause for the pump cycling like this is a small water leak. Crimped connections between soft hose and Pex fittings are notorious for this. I would suggest pulling the aft wall in the pass through storage area to get a good look at the back of the water control panel and many of the suspect fittings. Also take a close look around the water heater. Check the underbelly for bulging caused by water accumulation.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

CarpenterButch In addition to checking the under belly and the pass through area, check the connection of all appliances you can reach. I've had 2 other campers and have found that the fittings were just a touch loose resulting in a small leak over time. One was behind the toilet, the other under the kitchen sink. All fixed by changing the seals and hand tightening.

Link to the seals from amazon (Spare parts for WHEN they develop issues): https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16435-P...0IRUKIO8&psc=1
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by CarpenterButch View Post
            We have a 2020 Solitude and just this past few days, it has been running the pump for a second then shutting off and it does this like once each minute. Any ideas?
            Thanks!
            My guess is a leak. So far all mine have been on the back of the Nautilus panel (AKA Docking station) Take a look there. The wall should be removable (several screws) to get access. Also check under all sinks for any leaks too. Last do you have any dripping faucets?

Hope it is something simple
            Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

CarpenterButch Welcome to the family and the forum! Not sure about where to tell you best places to look other than to Follow Yoda or start from the sinks and trace back to where the soft plastic lines meet the PEX. While you are there, you may want to map a strategy and determine the level of difficulty to replace all them plastic lines with PEX.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I was shocked to see the setup behind the Nautilus panel on my new 2022 Reflection 337RLS. It reminded me of a 2013 fifth wheel of another brand I had. I was plagued with water leaks from day one and had to redo it all with pex. It was all assembled with vinyl tubing and geared hose clamps on single barb fittings that collapsed and leaked from the hose clamps. What a bad design. I was surprised to see the mix of pex and vinyl tubing used by GD. Why not all pex? One would think after all these years manufacturers would come up with an easy to service leak free system.
                Tony
                2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
                2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post
                  I was shocked to see the setup behind the Nautilus panel on my new 2022 Reflection 337RLS. It reminded me of a 2013 fifth wheel of another brand I had. I was plagued with water leaks from day one and had to redo it all with pex. It was all assembled with vinyl tubing and geared hose clamps on single barb fittings that collapsed and leaked from the hose clamps. What a bad design. I was surprised to see the mix of pex and vinyl tubing used by GD. Why not all pex? One would think after all these years manufacturers would come up with an easy to service leak free system.
                  Yep...you'll find violent agreement from many, many forum members on this topic, Tony. (BTW--did you see your solar post was moved to it's own thread? If you can't find it, here's a link: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/7...lection-337rls)

Cate&Rob (I think) was the trail-blazer on revamping plumbing in his GD which many of us have emulated over the years. Check out the Reference Material section (under Plumbing) and you'll find a lot of threads by Rob.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Tony,

Your shock at "what's behind the walls" has been voiced by many owners, as Howard describes. Some of us have had face-to-face discussions with Grand Design about why this is . . . I will give you the "abridged version" of these discussions . . .

Soft hose significantly expedites build time on the assembly line because they do not have to take the time to fit rigid Pex connections after fixtures and appliances are installed. This is a towable RV standard process and no manufacturer is going to penalize their production time by not using a process "approved" by their governing body . . . RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association). And, this is the problem. No other industry governing organization would allow a 1/2" ID hose to be clamped to a fitting designed for the smaller ID Pex pipe.

When we buy an RV, we all pay a RVIA "Inspection" fee. The details of what this entails are not available to the those who pay this fee. I know this because I tried to contact RVIA about how the convoluted wrap of wires, plumbing and ductwork in my "RVIA inspected" RV could pass any type of inspection. I was told that RVIA consults only with the manufacturers who make up their organization. (No conflict of interest here .)

RVIA "requirements" are a mash-up of residential requirements and vehicle requirements. Much of what they allow is not allowed by governing organizations for other things that move. Over-the-road, aeronautical or marine.

The only way that towable RV plumbing or electrical systems are going to improve is if the changes are required across the industry and apparently RVIA being accountable only to the RV manufacturers . . . has no interest in pursuing any initiatives that would add cost.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wonder, since they build the plumbing this way why don't they put a drain pan behind and under the Nautilus that is plumbed to the outside? Same principal as a residential hot water heater drip pan. They do have one in front of the Nautilus as we all know.
                      Tony
                      2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
                      2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

tdeperte

A drain pan would add cost and would be effective only for leaks from the connections at the back of the Nautilus panel. Replacing the soft hose throughout the plumbing system is the right solution for permanently eliminating the risk of leaks at all soft hose locations. Several on this forum have done this and there is a wealth of guidance in the plumbing section of our reference material. Because Pex pipe, clamps and tools are easy to work with, this project is far less complicated than it sounds.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wonder, since they build the plumbing this way why don't they put a drain pan behind and under the Nautilus that is plumbed to the outside? Same principal as a residential hot water heater drip pan. They do have one in front of the Nautilus as we all know.
                          I like the idea of a drain pan in addition to the use of a water intrusion sensor place there. Our residential dishwasher, washing machine, hot water tank and more use this principal and I also place leak sensors there. However, the pioneer in plumbing conversions....Rob's discovery of incompatible vinyl to pex fittings needs to be addressed industry wide rather than blindly continuing to use inadequate connections.

For the pump cycling, could be a leak or a bad check valve or debris in the check valve. Make sure the hot water heater has air at the top of the tank where a lack of air could aid in increased cycling.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X