Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nautilus system re-piping - hot water heater bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, quick update on this. I've gone ahead and ordered the valves only (no backplate since I'll be doing a full custom install) from Anderson Brass, It'll be a few weeks unfortunately until they're able to ship but once it arrives I'll be able to get a closer look at it and start prepping for how I want to install it.

I ordered an extra main Inlet check valve since for my my unit I need one for my main fresh water and an extra for my black tank rinse in the general same location. Looking forward to this and it's small footprint.
    I'll custom make the panel once the valves arrive and I can see exactly where I want to mount everything.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstAscent View Post
      I ordered an extra main Inlet check valve since for my my unit I need one for my main fresh water and an extra for my black tank rinse in the general same location.
      FWIW . . . an inlet check valve should NOT be used on a black tank flush system. For the flush line vacuum break to work properly and maintain sanitary isolation of the black tank, the water must be allowed to flow back out the flush inlet when the flush hose is removed. This leaves an empty line from vacuum break to inlet (and vacuum break to black tank), preventing any bacteria migration through standing water, which could be the case if water were held in this line by an inlet check valve.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

FWIW . . . an inlet check valve should NOT be used on a black tank flush system. For the flush line vacuum break to work properly and maintain sanitary isolation of the black tank, the water must be allowed to flow back out the flush inlet when the flush hose is removed. This leaves an empty line from vacuum break to inlet (and vacuum break to black tank), preventing any bacteria migration through standing water, which could be the case if water were held in this line by an inlet check valve.

Rob
        thank you! I will get and use a standard inlet without a check valve! I appreciate it. Makes complete sense

Comment

Would there be that much to change when switching from the Nautilus to the Anderson? I have been thinking of doing this myself , because I am bored, and was thinking that it would just be an easy change over. Maybe I am missing something?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers
            Hi Brian,

The plumbing system within the trailer is essentially the same whether the control panel is Nautilus, Kantleak or home built. All the inputs and outputs are the same. By the time you dissect the rats nest and begin an orderly connection of inputs and outputs, it won't matter whether the plumbing originally connected to a Nautilus or a Kantleak control panel.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I received my valves from Anderson Brass today which is great because that's about 2 weeks quicker than I expected. BUT, I've reached out to them to verify I have the correct valves. Previously during discussions they told me that each of the valves had a different ball/porting. However, both of my valves have the same style ball with the same cutouts. We'll see what they say, I'm hoping I don't have to wait for more parts again, I'd love to install this thing!!

I do wish they didn't use NPS threads and had NPT instead. For what I'm doing I need NPT, Yes I can get an adapter but that's just more unneeded parts. I did remove one of the threaded ends to see how they were connected and then I could buy my own ends, but it appears to be an M21 x 1.0 thread which I'm not familiar with (I don't think that is common at all) and couldn't find any of that size to NPT :(
              Attached Files

Comment

I am very interested in this as I am thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post the part number that you chose? I was looking at their valves and they have a couple different ones.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  I am very interested in this as I am thinking of doing the same thing. Could you post the part number that you chose? I was looking at their valves and they have a couple different ones.

Brian
                  Hi Brian, yeah they have a few part numbers. One important thing to note, just in case it's not obvious, is that this isn't meant to be a direct replacement of the Nautilus system, so piping/routing will have some custom aspect to it.

With that being said, I ordered the MANRV102 (I ordered mine WITHOUT the panel/backplate since I'm doing a custom one). Theirs isn't meant for the shower connection you have on the nautilus, that's worth noting as well. It could easily be integrated, but you can see from their panel it doesn't have that connection pre-made.

BTW- follow up from my previous post, I spoke with their engineers this morning and he confirmed that the valves and porting I received are 100% correct so I'm good to go there. woohoo!

Comment

FirstAscent

I was thinking about the MANRV102-1RF, but ready about all of the valves and what you got I am confused as to which one to buy. It seems they are all similar or the same but different. I think I will wait for you to test this out , be the guinea pig (haha).

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      FirstAscent

I was thinking about the MANRV102-1RF, but ready about all of the valves and what you got I am confused as to which one to buy. It seems they are all similar or the same but different. I think I will wait for you to test this out , be the guinea pig (haha).

Brian
                      I would go with the MANRV102 unless you currently have the old plastic style from Anderson Brass. RF is simply "retrofit" specifically designed for converting from THEIR old system to this new style and meant to be an easy upgrade.

But you are welcome to simply wait for me to test it all out as well

Comment

A significant difference between Nautilus and Anderson/Kantleak systems is how the water heater bypass is handled. You can remove the (problematic) water heater outlet check valve required with Nautilus but not part of the Anderson design.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          A significant difference between Nautilus and Anderson/Kantleak systems is how the water heater bypass is handled. You can remove the (problematic) water heater outlet check valve required with Nautilus but not part of the Anderson design.

Rob
                          Thanks Rob, yeah I’m really looking forward to this.

to be fair I haven’t had any issues with the Nautilus system itself…yet. I had a small leak but that was simply due to GD using the flex hose instead of PEX which is a common issue due to the different ID’s.
                          but since I’m doing a big custom overhaul with new fittings, water filters, water pump etc, I’d rather have two valves instead of 4 and not lose any functionality.

IF the Anderson valves were still plastic, I wouldn’t be trying them though, so happy to see them all metal. The only thing missing, which isn’t a requirement but just an extra perk would be if they were stainless

Comment

Working...
                          X