On demand hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On demand hot water heater

Now since its winter and earlier in the year people were concerned that the hot water heater would freeze up below 32 deg, has there been issues?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Hi Dennis,

There have been no reported freeze ups but several owners have discussed how they go about draining the water heater when freezing is possible or install a source of heat (an incandescent light bulb) to warm the water heater. Furrion has not published any updates (that I am aware of) regarding improved freeze protection.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I wonder how they get the heat in there being its exposed-on outside to the elements
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

We haven’t tried this yet, but when the time comes we will look into the incandescent bulb setup that Rob mentions. That is unless Furrion comes out with a fix beforehand. The idea we believe is to be stationary and use the outlet in the Nautilus area for the light.

Heinz
        Click image for larger version

Name:	26F7993B-D27D-4272-8402-47695986C143.jpeg
Views:	1487
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	73305 Click image for larger version

Name:	9D537618-C25B-430F-BDA9-4ECF1C1342AF.jpeg
Views:	1435
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	73306 Click image for larger version

Name:	96DAADEC-AA45-45A3-BE53-C2A061394382.jpeg
Views:	1460
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	73307
        Elke and Heinz
        2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
        2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Great input from all, as usual on this forum. We live in CO so often see cold temps especially at altitude and I was wondering what an alternative could be besides draining the ports from our Furrion on-demand water heater. I like the light bulb idea but was considering another source of heat that is not prone to breakage (even when stationary). My wife uses "landscaping" heat pads that are thermostatically controlled. They are designed to being on for weeks on end. I'm thinking this type of heat pad is better vs. a medical heat pad that typically cycles off after short periods of time. I will try it out our next trip and take heat readings in the heater box area. Just another suggestion but unproven for now. Again, thanks for the Tips!

Mike and Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel w/ air suspension
          Mike & Linda
          2022 Reflection 337RLS
          Ram 3500 Diesel
          Denver, CO

Comment

andyusna77 Mike, keep us updated on how the heat pads work. I'm curios as heat pads do not radiate heat like a bulb.

The idea behind a bulb is that the bulb keeps the area warm by increasing the air temperature. I use 2 - 100 watt bulbs in the softener shack along with the moving water through the pipes it keeps everything above freezing. We did not have any issues during the Texas freeze with the pipe in the softener shack and I kept the lights running with a 3500 watt generator along with the gas furnace in the house for 3 days when we had no power.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Your comments are compelling. I'm no thermodynamics wizard but given that heat is absorbed in the refrigeration process I'm guessing having 2-100 watt bulbs would provide sufficient heat to the furrion water heater compartment for "warmth". I need to look at the compartment size for how it would fit. I'll get back when there is something more to share. Hopefully Furrion implements a fix for us cold-weather campers!
              Mike & Linda
              2022 Reflection 337RLS
              Ram 3500 Diesel
              Denver, CO

Comment

What might be better and more durable than an incandescent light bulb would be an infrared heating element that screws into a standard light bulb socket. These are used for heating reptile aquariums or similar.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Cate&Rob; 01-01-2022, 11:08 AM.
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That is very interesting and safer
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

We have the same Furrion tankless water heater in our 2022 315RLTS. I made an insulated cover I had left over from another project. I put magnets in each corner then covered with an old piece of propane grill cover. Remember to turn off power outside at the heater. We had several nights when temps dropped into the upper teens but had no issues.
                    2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
                    2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Rick- I like the cover to help insulate the water heater. Question- did you also insert some type of heating element as mentioned earlier in these posts such as a light bulb, or infrared heating element?
                      Mike & Linda
                      2022 Reflection 337RLS
                      Ram 3500 Diesel
                      Denver, CO

Comment

I have ordered the heaters Kate&Rob mentioned. They will be here today. We are still learning the right combination for heating our camper. Running the fireplace means not as much heat for the tanks but also not using as much propane. Opening the drawers in the bedroom and laundry chute in the front might help circulate air, I don’t know. On a side note, we go north to South Dakota in the summer where we have a place to park. I have a 200 gal propane tank for shop heat as well as a tap for the camper which works well for us. After last winters cold blast in Texas I decided to get a similar setup here outside Bryan. After paying $75 for a site inspection from the propane company they finally called back 3 weeks later to tell me the will not have any tanks available until April.
                        2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
                        2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          What might be better and more durable than an incandescent light bulb would be an infrared heating element that screws into a standard light bulb socket. These are used for heating reptile aquariums or similar.

Rob
                          So I bought a set of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and after testing the surface temp the one star review I would think it's spot on. The 2 in my softener house show surface temps of 600F+ (yes 600). I wonder if the lower wattage have a cooler surface temp?
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I had no idea the surface temp would be so high . I wonder if an incandescent dimmer would control this?

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, I think you can control the temp somewhat based on a few things I read. Thinking about putting it on a thermostat in the softener shack. I just need to keep that little area above freezing due to the water filter and softener as they can go hours without movement where the water gets latent heat from the in ground supply lines.

During the 2021 Texas hard freeze where the entire state lost power for 3 days (we ran on a generator) I kept the shack heated with 2 pcs 100 watt infrared poultry bulbs. We got in the habit of going to different bath rooms (plumbing in the attic) to keep the water moving through the pipe to avoid freezing. I even went as far as cycling the shower valves every time I went to the bathroom to ensure those lines did not freeze. I suspect we had a partial freeze in the lines as flow dropped to almost nothing but letting the water run for a couple of minutes brought it back up to full flow. Luckily no broken lines.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X