Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Heater Bypass Not Working--What Am I Doing Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Bypass Not Working--What Am I Doing Wrong?

I have a nautilus system and I am wanting to do a vinegar flush on the water heater. I keep turning the red valve 90 to a horizontal position that I thought would bypass the heater. Nope. I am still getting water in the tank. No other valves on the nautilus changed position. I'm missing something.
    Last edited by howson; 01-14-2022, 06:48 AM. Reason: Edited title to convey issue
    2019 310GK-R F350 Mule
    2018 30XP Greyhawk 2015 Forrester Toad

The Nautilus system uses a check valve on the water heater outlet. This check valve is probably leaking, allowing back flow into the water heater when in bypass. (not an uncommon problem).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

GaryNK You want to fill the HWH with vinegar? That's what the post sounds like as you state you want to do a vinegar flush on the water heater.

As Rob states, the outlet check valve used on the HWH during MFG are known to have leaking issues.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

yes, I am going to fill it with vinegar. I could work around the problem check valve (wherever it is) but I would like to understand where it comes into play as there should be no source returning to the tank? The way I understood the red and blue valves to operate is for the feed to the hot system starts out at that valve coming directly from the shore power, then to the heater, then to the individual hot water fixtures. The blue valve does the same for the cold side? I'll drain the entire system I guess and get it done tomorrow.
        2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Here is a photo of a typical HWH. If that one way check valve has failed (which a lot of them do), water can get back into the tank.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	74418
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

GaryNK , the RED valve takes the place of the two valves shown in the posted picture. It directs water either to the cold water inlet and blocks the bypass or directs water to the bypass and the hot water outlet checkvalve and blocks the line to the cold water inlet. The checkvalve is supposed to keep water form entering the water heater from the hot line.
            Either the RED valve is not working properly to direct the water or the check valve is stuck open.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by GaryNK View Post
              I have a nautilus system and I am wanting to do a vinegar flush on the water heater. I keep turning the red valve 90 to a horizontal position that I thought would bypass the heater. Nope. I am still getting water in the tank. No other valves on the nautilus changed position. I'm missing something.
              Gary,
              There's a detailed diagram of the physical connections on my 315RLTS' hot water flow posted in the Reference Library here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...abled-disabled

I moved this thread to the Plumbing channel and also edited the title so it conveys the question at hand (hope you don't mind).

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by GaryNK View Post
                yes, I am going to fill it with vinegar. I could work around the problem check valve (wherever it is) but I would like to understand where it comes into play as there should be no source returning to the tank? The way I understood the red and blue valves to operate is for the feed to the hot system starts out at that valve coming directly from the shore power, then to the heater, then to the individual hot water fixtures. The blue valve does the same for the cold side? I'll drain the entire system I guess and get it done tomorrow.
                Gary
                I can only see 2 ways for you to get vinegar into the HW tank. One is us the sanitize setting and have the RV pump fill the tank (no bypass), or get vinegar in through the pressure relief valve.

For the first method start with hot water tank empty and drain plug in (in normal operation mode - no bypass), leave a hot water fixture open, and use sanitize setting to pull the vinegar in. the path of least resistance will be through the HW heater first to the open hot water faucet. Are you going to use a diluted mixture?

Second method is use an external pump and pump vinegar through the pressure relief valve, again leaving a HW fixture open so air can escape.

In a nut shell the bypass valve closes off cold water flow to the tank and the check valve prevents hot water from returning. In normal operation that makes it a one way system. If the check valve was not there , hot water could migrate back into the cold water side. The same hot/cold mixing issue can occur if the outside shower valves are left open.

BTW when I winterize I first blow the system out with air (use city water setting) (HW tank drained). That way the cold feed line too and hot water line from the HW tank get blown out. I then reset the bypass to on and use the normal winterize settings and pump in the antifreeze using the rv pump.

Hope this helps

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-123815_Drive.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	74443
                  Originally posted by howson View Post

Gary,
                  There's a detailed diagram of the physical connections on my 315RLTS' hot water flow posted in the Reference Library here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...abled-disabled

I moved this thread to the Plumbing channel and also edited the title so it conveys the question at hand (hope you don't mind).

Howard
                  howson
                  Howard, your diagrams are for the P1 Nautilus. I'd suggest you add that to the thread title.
                  I believe GaryNK has the P4 panel.

Edit: added picture from the installation manual.
                  Last edited by TedS; 01-14-2022, 02:41 PM.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

Name:	Screenshot_20220114-123815_Drive.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	74443
                    howson
                    Howard, your diagrams are for the P1 Nautilus. I'd suggest you add that to the thread title.
                    I believe GaryNK has the P4 panel.

Edit: added picture from the installation manual.
                    Done! Thanks for the suggestion.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

all is well wand used to flush out and used the pvc funnel method to flood the wh with vinegar. worked fine Click image for larger version

Name:	wh pvc device.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	74752
                      2019 310GK-R F350 Mule

Comment

Working...
                      X