No announcement yet.

Fresh h2o tank sucking air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Tim2542 found a solution after he started this last fall?

Also Cate&Rob in the tank and plumbing photo you posted in Msg #3 there are three wires connected to level sensors to the right of the overflow. What is the wire and sensor to the left of the water outlet, lowest level? Why over there rather than with the others? Thx.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout
      Hi Mark,

That pattern of probe locations is also common with the level sensors in grey and black tanks. I don’t know the reason, but I suspect the separate and lowest probe is the circuit ground.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had the same issue when sanitizing the system on my new 2019 28MKS. Water pump kept running after faucet was turned off. Found that the fresh water tank line connection to the water pump had not been completed. The PEX band was in place where the line meets the water pump but it was not crimped. Thus there was a small leak and air getting in when the pump was running.
        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
        2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
        Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
          I had the same issue when sanitizing the system on my new 2019 28MKS. Water pump kept running after faucet was turned off. Found that the fresh water tank line connection to the water pump had not been completed. The PEX band was in place where the line meets the water pump but it was not crimped. Thus there was a small leak and air getting in when the pump was running.
          I noted this is your first post, MikeM, so welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum and thank you for sharing your experience. That kind of information is very helpful in building our "knowledge base".

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Tim2542 View Post
            My fresh tank has begun to suck air when only 1/2 empty or so, a new development. Any tips on where to look before I tear into it? I suspect Im going to have to open the bottom and find the tube going into the tank. This on a 310 Solitude Thanks
            Mark - one thing to check as mentioned above. The filter assembly in front of the pump. Make sure the clear bulb portion is facing up. I don't know why but there was a post I read somewhere recently where turning the bulb up solve the air problem for them. The post may have been at the other place.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
              Nothing better than a "new guy" joining in with a proposed solution in their very first post. Awesome. Welcome to the forum Mike!

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hello all, and thank you for your posts! I am the new kid on the block, have a GD 2019 Reflection150 273MK for a few months, and have been pulling out my hair over this same issue. I get a few short showers, some flushes, and a small bit of sink use, and my system starts sucking air. The coughing and sputtering water/air mix becomes more air if run very long. I was planning the bucket measure test for remaining water volume, and to go behind the Nautilus system to check all connections. I did that a while back, and had to buy a crimper tool and replace and re-crimp 21 of the weeping crimps on the hose/valve junctions. I will post the results after a complete inspection. Thanks for the numerous thoughts and ideas.

Comment

Just wanted to provide an update on my issue.....and no I haven't resolved it! lol. Anyway, used a borescope to inspect the connection at the tank and got some pictures inside the tank. Still trying to get a picture of where the tank outlet connection is on the inside. Anyway, one of my theories is that I have a restricted line to the pump where the issue is overcome with more than thirty gallons of water because there is essentially more "head" pressure with more water. The plastic shavings you see make me concerned that there could indeed be a restriction especially since there is a 90 degree fitting right out of the tank. I also found a few plastic shaving pieces at the pump. I'm unsure of how these shaving are still in the corner of the tank as I have flushed these tanks numerous times. I am eventually going to try and flush the supply line in reverse from the pump to the tank. More to follow........

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd&Tamily View Post
                    Just wanted to provide an update on my issue.....and no I haven't resolved it! lol. Anyway, used a borescope to inspect the connection at the tank and got some pictures inside the tank. Still trying to get a picture of where the tank outlet connection is on the inside. Anyway, one of my theories is that I have a restricted line to the pump where the issue is overcome with more than thirty gallons of water because there is essentially more "head" pressure with more water. The plastic shavings you see make me concerned that there could indeed be a restriction especially since there is a 90 degree fitting right out of the tank. I also found a few plastic shaving pieces at the pump. I'm unsure of how these shaving are still in the corner of the tank as I have flushed these tanks numerous times. I am eventually going to try and flush the supply line in reverse from the pump to the tank. More to follow........
                    Thanks for the update. When you find the culprit (and fix the problem) I suspect it will be something we'll share with a lot of individuals in the future.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd&Tamily View Post
                      I am eventually going to try and flush the supply line in reverse from the pump to the tank. More to follow........
                      Floyd&Tamily

Thanks for the follow-up on this. I have linked you into another related discussion, for your input there.
                      "Flushing the supply line" is essentially pressure filling the tank since this uses the same line that feed the water pump when using tank water.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Floyd&Tamily

Thanks for the follow-up on this. I have linked you into another related discussion, for your input there.
                        "Flushing the supply line" is essentially pressure filling the tank since this uses the same line that feed the water pump when using tank water.

Rob
                        Cate&Rob

Thanks for that nugget of info. That being said it may steer me in another direction/theory.........more to follow! By the way I did get a picture of the pick up inside the tank. It is right next to the dump valve. Doesn't appear to be restricted from what I can see anyway. I'll leave the proctologist comments for others to make! LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X