Hot supply leaking at connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot supply leaking at connection

Could find nothing in a search so asking about the best way to repair stock fitting leaks. This is at the hot water supply line connection for the kitchen faucet. The lowest drip is seen on the white connector (lowest point) but I'm not sure where the leak is. It is slow but enough to puddle overnight. I tried hand tightening the fitting. Should I use tools? I'm not wanting to replace stock plumbing lines with other materials. I appreciate the best approach.
    Attached Files
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

I would not recommend using tools, those swivel fittings have rubber cone washers in them for seals. Over tightening may damage them. Is the leak really at the swivel to fitting joint. Or is water just appearing there and actually coming from someplace higher? Wrap a piece of paper towel around the braided hose to see if water may be tracking down them and then just dripping from the white swivel.
    If the leak is actually where the hose is clamped to the swivel fitting, then that joint would need to be remade.
    Last edited by TedS; 03-04-2022, 08:25 AM.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Hi Bill,

If the leak is indeed from the connection, it is relatively easy to take these fittings apart (by hand) and replace the cone seal inside. You might be able to buy just replacement seals, but if not, buy a similar fitting and use the seal from that. These parts are available at any plumbing store.

Those are the much discussed "soft hose" lines crimped to Pex fittings . . . the leak is most likely between the hose and the fitting. If this is the case, the best remedy is to make up an "adapter piece" to get the right barbed hose fitting into the hose and Pex pipe on to the Pex fitting.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-04-2022, 08:32 AM.
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
        I would not recommend using tools, those swivel fittings have rubber cone washers in them for seals. Over tightening may damage them. Is the leak really at the swivel to fitting joint. Or is water just appearing there and actually coming from someplace higher? Wrap a piece of paper towel around the braided hose to see if water may be tracking down them and then just dripping from the white swivel.
        If the leak is actually where the hose is clamped to the swivel fitting, then that joint would need to be remade.
        Thanks, I hadn't thought to do that. Appreciate it.

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Bill,

If the leak is indeed from the connection, it is relatively easy to take these fittings apart (by hand) and replace the cone seal inside. You might be able to buy just replacement seals, but if not, buy a similar fitting and use the seal from that. These parts are available at any plumbing store.

Those are the much discussed "soft hose" lines crimped to Pex fittings . . . the leak is most likely between the hose and the fitting. If this is the case, the best remedy is to make up an "adapter piece" to get the right barbed hose fitting into the hose and Pex pipe on to the Pex fitting.

Rob
        Rob, thanks, I did see that particular thread. I really don't know much about the "crimp" clamps (not sure if that is what it's called) as I have never used them. I will try to locate using method that Ted suggested first.

I'll report the outcome.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Bill, cheap and they deliver. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Joseph, thank you.

Can someone let me know what size these connections are? Are they uniform throughout the unit? I likely have dodged a bullet not carrying extras.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas the threaded connections should all be 1/2", the PEX is 1/2". The flexible hose is a tricky animal, I think the trade name is probably 1/2" but as Rob's photo shows it's a different diameter than the PEX and PEX fittings. I've been chasing a slow intermittent leak in my rig that I think I finally got, I replaced most of my flexible hose but left a couple pieces that were hard to get to and of course they were leaking. Even with the correct barb fitting and hose clamp the hot still had a slow small leak for only a couple hours every morning.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro
                Hi Neil,

A fitting leak at a certain time each day is a curious thing. I was thinking pressure rise over night . . . but, you have a large accumulator tank which should keep pressure rise to a minimum. Hmmm .

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

ncitro
                  Hi Neil,

A fitting leak at a certain time each day is a curious thing. I was thinking pressure rise over night . . . but, you have a large accumulator tank which should keep pressure rise to a minimum. Hmmm .

Rob

Yeah. It was a hot line into a threaded tee that was coming from my hot PEX manifold, and going to the bathroom sink (PEX) and shower (flex). I replaced the line to the manifold with PEX and the leak has stopped.

It only leaked early in the morning, no relationship to shower time or bathroom use, my wife ran a couple back to back races last weekend and we were up early at about three am and there was no puddle (had an access in the coroplast open) but the 8 am there was a small puddle. By 9 or 10 the puddle was dry the rest of the day.

All I can figure is this: I've got a Truma tankless water heater, and it's got two modes. During the day I run it on comfort, where the heater basically keeps the water in a tighter temperature range, and raises the low set point when it runs the burner. At night just before bed I switch it to eco (mainly because it's quieter), which lowers the low temp set point to increase the time between cycles. I figure this change in temperature and pressure was causing the hose to expand and contract and leak.

Needles to say when we get home I'll be pulling out the last of the flex and replacing it all.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                    BillinTexas the threaded connections should all be 1/2", the PEX is 1/2". The flexible hose is a tricky animal, I think the trade name is probably 1/2" but as Rob's photo shows it's a different diameter than the PEX and PEX fittings. I've been chasing a slow intermittent leak in my rig that I think I finally got, I replaced most of my flexible hose but left a couple pieces that were hard to get to and of course they were leaking. Even with the correct barb fitting and hose clamp the hot still had a slow small leak for only a couple hours every morning.
                    Appreciate the information, Neil.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Hi Bill,

Rob
                      Rob, looking at these photos closer, I have to ask why the need for a joint at the brass? It appears the crimp clamps are for PEX? Or am I just seeing this wrong? This link is for information and I haven't decided yet which I will buy. Are they different for the plastic tubing? Thanks for the information and education.

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Clamps-...5&sr=8-31&th=1
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Rob, looking at these photos closer, I have to ask why the need for a joint at the brass? It appears the crimp clamps are for PEX? Or am I just seeing this wrong? This link is for information and I haven't decided yet which I will buy. Are they different for the plastic tubing? Thanks for the information and education.

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Clamps-...5&sr=8-31&th=1
                        What he's showing is that the inside diameter of the flex tubing is larger than the PEX. This means that the PEX connector used by the factory is too small for the flex tubing and will not seal properly regardless of the clamp used.

What Rob's picture shows is basically an "adapter". You get a 1/2" barb fitting with 1/2" threads and attach that to the flex with a hose clamp. Then thread that fitting into a female PEX connector which gets crimped onto a PEX line, which in his photo then has a 1/2" swivel female connector on it with the cone washer.

This should give you a proper seal at the flex hose, and end with the fitting you need to connect to your faucet lines.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

What he's showing is that the inside diameter of the flex tubing is larger than the PEX. This means that the PEX connector used by the factory is too small for the flex tubing and will not seal properly regardless of the clamp used.

What Rob's picture shows is basically an "adapter". You get a 1/2" barb fitting with 1/2" threads and attach that to the flex with a hose clamp. Then thread that fitting into a female PEX connector which gets crimped onto a PEX line, which in his photo then has a 1/2" swivel female connector on it with the cone washer.

This should give you a proper seal at the flex hose, and end with the fitting you need to connect to your faucet lines.
                          Thanks, Neil. I have seen any PEX in that area I'm concerned with.
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Thanks, Neil. I have seen any PEX in that area I'm concerned with.
                            Right but you need to transition properly from the flex tubing to your faucet connection. I don't think there is a fitting available to go from the 1/2" barb the flex needs directly to the 1/2" female thread you need to connect to your faucet line. So Rob used a piece of PEX to convert from the 1/2" male thread on the barb to the 1/2" swivel connector.

Sorry if I'm doing a bad job explaining it, I'm not sure I was totally awake when I replied lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

BillinTexas

This is the set that I bought and it has served well Amazon.com: iCrimp Ratchet PEX Cinch Tool with Removing function for 3/8 to 1-inch Stainless Steel Clamps with 20PCS 1/2-inch and 10PCS 3/4-inch PEX Clamps and Pex Pipe Cutter- All in One : Everything Else

The cutter is small and very handy compared to the larger ones. The clamps for 1/2" pex do not fit the soft hose very well. I would recommend replacing the soft hose with pex but this may be a little more involved than you want to get. I have not found anything that joins the pex to soft hose very well, I did try one fitting from Lowes but it did not work and I ended up replace the soft hose with pex a much larger job but I ony had to do it once.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X