No announcement yet.

Solitude water filter hoses rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so here is a follow up post on my chafing water hoses. I spent last week at the local KOA so had some time to tinker with it. After removing the rear wall of the front compartment I could see there was no way to use pex hose without a bunch of elbows involved. I removed the two offending hoses from behind the Nautilus panel and to my surprise they really weren't damaged at all, nice! I decided to wrap them with Gorilla duct tape and put it back together. Low and behold now the water filter housing itself is cracked on the top piece and started leaking. I'm 6 months out of warranty and decided to heck with it, I'll use the blue inline filters that gone on the water hose so here's my fix. Click image for larger version

Name:	FILTER FIX (2).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	16470
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
      Low and behold now the water filter housing itself is cracked on the top piece and started leaking... I'll use the blue inline filters that gone on the water hose
      I'm not following what's cracked and leaking. Can you clarify what's broken and how you fixed it?

Thanks.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Txfivver
        Hi Jeff,

Keep a close eye on that white “shark bite type” connector. The metal teeth inside (designed to bite into and hold copper or hard plastic) will continue to cut into the soft hose until they sever the fibre reinforcement in the hose and the connection will burst.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I'm not following what's cracked and leaking. Can you clarify what's broken and how you fixed it?

Thanks.

-Steve
          The plastic top piece on the built in water filter has a very slight crack by where that top hose goes into it. This is just a temporary fix until I can get a complete new filter housing for it and new hoses.
          Jeff
          2019 Solitude 375 RES
          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Txfivver
            Hi Jeff,

Keep a close eye on that white “shark bite type” connector. The metal teeth inside (designed to bite into and hold copper or hard plastic) will continue to cut into the soft hose until they sever the fibre reinforcement in the hose and the connection will burst.

Rob
            Will do Rob and thanks for the heads up. This is just a temporary fix until I can get a new water filter housing, hopefully GD will step up and help with it.
            Jeff
            2019 Solitude 375 RES
            2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

I thought I would post a follow up to this story. GD covered the leaking water filter under warranty and my dealer re-plumbed it using pex hose, problem solved! Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex (2).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	19112
              Jeff
              2019 Solitude 375 RES
              2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
                I thought I would post a follow up to this story. GD covered the leaking water filter under warranty and my dealer re-plumbed it using pex hose, problem solved! Click image for larger version

Name:	Pex (2).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	19112
                IMHO, the flimsy L-bracket that holds the filter is at least half of the problem. It and the filter bounce up and down with the weight of the filter (and the water in it) like a toilet flapper valve. I have temporarily shimmed between the filter and the wall with some very dense foam until I can fabricate a diagonal piece to make a right triangle out of the bracket. Without the bouncing movement, there will be MUCH less risk of chafing with the hoses.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob I agree and will probably do the same thing. I was just happy to get the new housing which had cracked and was leaking where the hose connects. It's hard to tell from the picture but both those pex hoses move freely in the cabinet holes now unlike before so that's good. GD took good care of me on that and it's appreciated.
                  Jeff
                  2019 Solitude 375 RES
                  2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                  X